Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CA's, Mask type, and leaks/vent
RE: CA's, Mask type, and leaks/vent
(11-15-2016, 01:10 PM)Rcgop Wrote: NOW FOR THE GOOD NEWS!
Last night out of desperation I took the plunge and cranked the EPR to 3. My night was much improved. And my AHI was 1.02 but the best part is only 4 CA's all night. AND, 90% pressure equal to 8.38. AND, when I woke up at 4 (not 3) I stayed awake and was comfortable.
The data looks excellent. And an important part of why I think the data is excellent if that you report that data is that you were more comfortable during the night.

Quote:If this is the answer, then I can work on the OAs from last night. I will post the graphs here in a few minutes so you can see what I am talking about. I did stop and start the machine out of curiosity and not because of my comfort level.
You had a grand total of 3 well spaced OAs all night long and one H. Even a person with totally normal sleep--i.e. NO sleep apnea---can experience that number of OAs during a full night of sleep.

In other words, I don't think there's anything to be gained by "working on the OAs." The things you need to work on right now are learning how to sleep comfortably all night long. In other words, you do still have a four clear awakenings in the second half of the night, but they do not appear to be triggered by anything in particular. Sometimes it just takes time to get used to sleeping with the machine. But the fact that you were more comfortable with the machine meant that you didn't get trapped in an uncomfortable and long sleep-wake-junk period.

(11-15-2016, 01:24 PM)Rcgop Wrote: I hope this is not a fluke.
Baby steps. Remember everything about PAP therapy is "baby steps." There's a lot of 2 steps forward, one step backwards when you are finally really starting to get your therapy straightened out.

Look for trends rather than focusing on individual "bad" nights. And keep in mind that comfort is an important part of defining a good night: Obtaining a 0.0 AHI at the cost of doing things that make your subjective sleep quality worse is not going to make you feel better in the long run. If you are waking up rested and refreshed on most days, but your AHI is in the 2-3 range instead of the <1 range, it's time to just enjoy waking up rested and refreshed instead of twisting yourself into knots to get the AHI a bit lower.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CA's, Mask type, and leaks/vent
I know I need a newer machine ect. my older Remstar auto with Encore Basic doesn't give me data on centrals. But in my reading I came across an article
about sleap apnia in people with heart failure. In it they noted that when
these people went through a cardiac rehab program they didn't experience any
fewer OSA events but they experienced a great reduction in CA events I believe the reduction was averaging about 66% fewer centrals.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 1 29 41 minutes ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 121 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 131 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 85 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 4 192 03-09-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 226 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 455 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.