Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CAs and Ear Plugs
CAs and Ear Plugs
Due to an "Oops!", I had to use my Mirage Swift II mask. Due to the increased noise level as opposed to the P10, I used ear plugs to quiet it down. I subsequently removed them after about 2 hours. The next day I reviewed my sleep stats. To my surprise I found that I had 20 CA's for the 2 hour period that I wore the ear plugs and only 2 CA's for the remaining 6 hours of the night. I reviewed the data on the days that I wore ear plugs and found my CA's increased 10x or more over the normal amount. Has anybody else experienced anything like this? Or, is this one of those "Go Figure" moments?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CA's and Ear Plugs
Definetly a Go Figure moment, I have used earplugs for 3 years and don't find the same, our AHI whether it's OA's or CA's and I have both change every night. Nothing stays the same, so many different things can affect it from weather, what we eat, when we eat, meds, etc, etc, etc, but if not wearing ear plugs works for you in keeping your numbers down, go for it Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Would be pretty shocked if that is the cause, I use them all night every night and do not get more than the occasional CA; which IIRC can also be caused by the machine not properly recognizing an obstructive apnea event. Shot in the dark but did you take any CNS depressing medication before bed?
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't take anything. Every time I use ear plugs, my CA's increase. I must be getting tired of hearing myself breathe.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I started using the PAPcap chin strap thing, my CA events disappeared. And stayed gone every night I used it. When I don't use it, they return. If I use another chin strap, they return. Only when I use that chin strap do they disappear.

Position?
Intracranial pressure?
Aliens?

Who knows. We discussed some various theories but didn't come up with anything solid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...n-with-CAs
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
This synopsis leads me to believe if we all got together, we would be totally cured of apnea. . . use your chinstrap and no ear plugs!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect it may relate to how the ear plugs or chin strap, et al. bother any particular person. Those CAs can often be flagged when you're having trouble getting to sleep, indeed I get them when fully awake sometimes! It's usually when I have something on my mind that is hard to ignore.
Post Reply Post Reply
Needs more sample data. Flip a coin a few nights and try the air plugs if it's heads.

Maybe you've discovered something. There is a lot of strange feedback between the ears and the rest of the head. For instance, cleaning my ears with q-tips makes many people cough.

Maybe we'll figure out something you can stick in your ear and cure central apnea.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adapter Plugs for International Travel TiredOne789 6 1,004 10-09-2023, 07:46 PM
Last Post: taylorgtr
  One 60 vs DreamStation Plugs OMyMyOHellYes 16 2,494 12-22-2017, 12:06 AM
Last Post: dmeRT

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.