Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CFlex + and EPR - what is the difference
CFlex + and EPR - what is the difference
Hi,
I noticed the philips has c flex+ settings and the resmeds has EPR settings what's the difference and how do they work?
Thanks
Cheers
Steve.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CFlex + and EPR - what is the difference
I can speak for Resmed only.

Resmed's EPR will reduce the inhale pressure setting (IPAP) by the value indicated for exhaling (EPAP). The value setting can range from 0 to 3. Each value represents the amount of reduction in cmH2O pressure (Set Pressure-EPR). The lowest possible pressure is 4cmH2O. This means that regardless of the EPR value, no exhale pressure can be below 4cmH2O.

Examples:
  1. A pressure range of 7-9cmH2O and an EPR of 3, the exhale pressure range would be 4-6cmH2O.
  2. Using the same EPR (3) and a pressure range 4-7cmH2O would provide an exhale pressure of 4cmH2O.

I hope this what you are looking for.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2016, 10:53 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I can speak for Resmed only.

Resmed's EPR will reduce the inhale pressure setting (IPAP) by the value indicated for exhaling (EPAP). The value setting can range from 0 to 3. Each value represents the amount of reduction in cmH2O pressure (Set Pressure-EPR). The lowest possible pressure is 4cmH2O. This means that regardless of the EPR value, no exhale pressure can be below 4cmH2O.

Examples:
  1. A pressure range of 7-9cmH2O and an EPR of 3, the exhale pressure range would be 4-6cmH2O.
  2. Using the same EPR (3) and a pressure range 4-7cmH2O would provide an exhale pressure of 4cmH2O.

I hope this what you are looking for.

Crimson Nape et al,

Do you know how long it takes for the EPR to "kick in" on the ResMed units? I find when I first put the unit on, it's difficult to exhale, however as time progresses it gets easier. I'm curious if the computer needs to determine the exhale patterns, and so there is a delay in when the EPR starts...

Skip
Post Reply Post Reply
The EPR is instantaneous. You are describing your body adapting to the pressure increase. Others,as well as myself, have reported waking up and thinking the CPAP isn't working because we're no longer able to detect the pressure.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
One works by detecting the start or end of the inhale. The other works by detecting the start or end of the exhale. I can't remember which does which.

Some people feel that the xFlex is breathing for them, predicting their next breath and they don't like it. It feels forced. On the other hand, not many people notice the change of EPR other than it is easier to breathe out.

Both drop/increase from 1 to 3 cmH2O.

It all comes down to algorithm and rhythm.

And aliens.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2016, 01:07 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The EPR is instantaneous. You are describing your body adapting to the pressure increase. Others,as well as myself, have reported waking up and thinking the CPAP isn't working because we're no longer able to detect the pressure.

Crimson,

Interesting you mention waking up and thinking it's not working/on. I've had that same experience...makes sense my body is being conditioned within the first few minutes.

Appreciate the feedback.

Skip
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting thread comparing AFlex to EPR. Even though you are asking about CFlex...I'm not exactly sure how that works compared to AFlex.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid145923

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2016, 01:07 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The EPR is instantaneous. You are describing your body adapting to the pressure increase. Others,as well as myself, have reported waking up and thinking the CPAP isn't working because we're no longer able to detect the pressure.

Thanks for sharing this. I am 7 weeks in with pressure range from 11 to 17. I have just started experiencing this. It is rather nice!Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
All the xFlex are essentially the same, just different because of the machine they are on. C-Flex is on the CPAP machines, A-Flex is on the APAP machines and B-Flex is on the BiPAP machines.

Oh, and the wiki 'splains the differences.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ion_Relief
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
EPR (ResMed machines) drops exhale pressure by corresponding number:
EPR 3 = 3cm drop in pressure
EPR 2 = 2cm drop
EPR 1 = 1cm drop.

AFlex/CFlex (Respironics machines) works a little differently.
A-Flex of 1, 2 and 3 all have a max of 2cm of straight pressure drop but have different amounts of additional Flow-based pressure drop.

There is a difference on when it gives the pressure relief when using the different settings.

This thread which vsheline gives a fairly good explanation of how it works.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid145923

I personally have never received more than 1.5cm pressure relief regardless of the setting I use, and SleepyHead confirms this. It is based on flow and how hard a person exhales. I believe I'm a shallow breather.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,110 Yesterday, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 229 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Difference between Vauto and S modes PeaceLoveAndPizza 9 980 02-20-2024, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 566 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Being overweight - make a big difference? p123 6 1,810 11-03-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Hose [size difference] Johnboy 10 3,766 09-22-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] difference between sw to cf niro 1 487 08-28-2023, 03:56 PM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.