Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CHEYNE STOKES RESPIRATION...Should I Be Concerned???
Question 
CHEYNE STOKES RESPIRATION...Should I Be Concerned???

Hi All,
I have been noticing a trend on SleepyHead concerning Cheyne Stokes Respiration. I believe it was called Periodic Breathing on previous version of SleepyHead. I am seeing this three or four times a week.

My AHI is not high. Normally runs under 1.0, but last night was higher. No changes in Meds. or sleeping patterns.

Have been waking up feeling like I've been in a boxing match, whatever that feels like. Unsure

I've read that Cheyne Stokes may have something to do with heart problems. Had all that checked out last year and nothing unusual showed up. My doctor doesn't seem concerned. He only looks at AHI number.

Should I be concerned???
[attachment=1419][attachment=1420][attachment=1421]

[/b]
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CHEYNE STOKES RESPIRATION...Should I Be Concerned???
I don't see anything in your numbers that I would get concerned about. It looks to me like you're perking along just fine.

You might try one less taco before you go to bed tonight and see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
The biggest thing I noticed is that your machine is set for an upper limit of 10cm, and it seems to spend a lot of time there, and is unable to fix all your hypopneas. These will make you feel like crap.

You might want to see about raising your upper limit a couple of CM and see if that makes you feel better. If it does, you could also bump up the lower limit a little so the pressure doesn't spend all night flying up and down, which can also disturb your sleep.

Terry

(04-21-2015, 08:20 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi All,
I have been noticing a trend on SleepyHead concerning Cheyne Stokes Respiration. I believe it was called Periodic Breathing on previous version of SleepyHead. I am seeing this three or four times a week.

My AHI is not high. Normally runs under 1.0, but last night was higher. No changes in Meds. or sleeping patterns.

Have been waking up feeling like I've been in a boxing match, whatever that feels like. Unsure

I've read that Cheyne Stokes may have something to do with heart problems. Had all that checked out last year and nothing unusual showed up. My doctor doesn't seem concerned. He only looks at AHI number.

Should I be concerned???

[/b]

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2015, 11:07 AM)retired_guy Wrote: I don't see anything in your numbers that I would get concerned about. It looks to me like you're perking along just fine.

You might try one less taco before you go to bed tonight and see if that helps.

How did you know I was making Tacos tonight? :grin:
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wish I lived closer to you as I love homemade tacos Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Do note that the machine is not 100% accurate at classifying apneas and can assign normal obstructive apneas as central events and so on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Although there is a waxing and waning of respiration, it is not marked by the classic CA at each minimum that is typical for Cheyne Stokes Respirations. Sleepyhead classifies all periodic breathing (pattern breathing) as CSR, and this is an error in the program I'm sure Mark will correct the default name if he ever gets back to programming, but for now, you can change CSR label to Periodic Breathing.

Relax, you do not have CSR. Not even close. The suggestion above to perhaps increase the minimum pressure +1 might be valid to reduce hypopnea. This might even out the periodic breathing episodes, which actually look more like incomplete hypopnea to me.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2015, 08:23 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Although there is a waxing and waning of respiration, it is not marked by the classic CA at each minimum that is typical for Cheyne Stokes Respirations. Sleepyhead classifies all periodic breathing (pattern breathing) as CSR, and this is an error in the program I'm sure Mark will correct the default name if he ever gets back to programming, but for now, you can change CSR label to Periodic Breathing.

Relax, you do not have CSR. Not even close. The suggestion above to perhaps increase the minimum pressure +1 might be valid to reduce hypopnea. This might even out the periodic breathing episodes, which actually look more like incomplete hypopnea to me.

Thanks Sleeprider for the explanation on CSR.
I will label these episodes as PB, which may actually be incomplete hypopneas.
I need to go back into SleepyHead and study those graphs a bit more. I didn't know what to look for.
I will also take the advice and raise the lower pressure up +1 and watch this for awhile.
Thanks again!

OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
totally agree that no problem with CSR/PB in such short bursts.

oh, and the bumps in your pressure that look like routine blips, you know why. You do not stay "close to 10" as Terry suggests. All looks great to me, but I am still trying to steadily have RDI under 8 and AHI under 5.

yay.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2015, 08:16 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: totally agree that no problem with CSR/PB in such short bursts.

oh, and the bumps in your pressure that look like routine blips, you know why. You do not stay "close to 10" as Terry suggests. All looks great to me, but I am still trying to steadily have RDI under 8 and AHI under 5.

yay.

QAL

Hi QAL,
I've changed my pressure from 8-12 to 9-13, with a setting of C FLEX-2 ( not sure if I should use A FLEX or CFLEX, but C FLEX feels better.

Question??? What is an acceptable RDI number. I know AHI should be under 5, but if I add RERA's to AHI number to get RDI, what is too high?
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheynes stoke respiration, false flag or accurate? BDGold99 1 102 Yesterday, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How bad is this really? CSA & Cheyne Stokes Little Olive 7 248 03-12-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Little Olive
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 181 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 825 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Simultaneous Reporting of Cheyne-Stokes Respiration (CSR) and Central Apnea (CA) Aldiorg 3 295 02-19-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 330 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.