Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CHanging water in Humidifier, using nasal pillows
RE: CHanging water in Humidifier, using nasal pillows
(12-11-2014, 05:04 PM)PollCat Wrote: I wash my equipment the same way as archangle - once a week. I just keep adding distilled water to the tank every night.
Birds of feature .....

oops, sorry, I go sit quietly in the corner for now
Post Reply Post Reply
Using distilled water, I do not feel the need to empty my water tank every morning. I empty it when I wash it which is whenever I get around to it or maybe it was when I get a round toit. Round toits are hard to find, so not very often.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2014, 05:02 PM)Karenjme Wrote: Thanks. I'll figure out a good routine for me.

with current insurance, my co-pay for replacement parts SHOULD BE:
headgear US $7.49
mask (nasal pillow): 22.17
FIlter foam - 2 pc - 2.89
tubing 7.73
Humidifier 56.78 (2 yr warranty on this and CPAP machine

I suggest buying replacement parts as often as your insurance will pay for it until you have at least one, probably 2, spares of everything. After that, buy new ones whenever one of your spares wears out.

Then, if the old parts are still good, once a week, clean everything really good and switch the old and new parts so that they get to sit dry and air out for a week. I think this keeps the parts cleaner, and I think mask parts last longer that way.

As for "Humidifier 56.78," there should be a replacement schedule for the water tank itself that should be much lower. You can buy a new water tank online for $25 or so at many online suppliers, such as the ones listed in the link at the top of most pages. You may also find parts on e-bay.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, after reading the above posts on emptying the water in Humidifier, I am concerned, Allso my DME doesnt seem to be! Every morning I empty the water, and every night I refill with distilled water. The problem ...or not.... is that the water level never drops. I have it set on System One number 4. I am dry in the morning. Was thinking of changing to Classic Mode, but DME says I will experience rainout, and too much humidify isn't good for you. I asked the about getting a heated hose and they do not seem to think I need it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
roe1549,
I don't know if there is that much difference between your PR1 and my S9 regarding humidity. I switched to a heated hose on my S9 and it was a game changer. No matter what level I set prior to the heated line, I would cough all night and would awake with a dry throat and stuffiness. This ended the first night that I used the heated hose. I just top off my humidifier each day because I had to waste the distilled water. I figure it is just sitting there like it was in the bottle.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2014, 08:48 AM)sgearhart Wrote: roe1549,
I don't know if there is that much difference between your PR1 and my S9 regarding humidity. I switched to a heated hose on my S9 and it was a game changer. No matter what level I set prior to the heated line, I would cough all night and would awake with a dry throat and stuffiness. This ended the first night that I used the heated hose. I just top off my humidifier each day because I had to waste the distilled water. I figure it is just sitting there like it was in the bottle.

With distilled water, the point of emptying the chamber and washing everything is to get rid of the mold, viruses, and bacteria that can grow in a warm/moist environment. The filter on the air intake on the machine isn't perfect. The machine will suck in some amount of mold, viruses, and bacteria. Distilled water doesn't give it any food to eat but there will always be critters in the tank and hose. Daily washing is probably a bigger deal for somebody with mold allergies.

Like everybody else, I drop food on the floor, pick it up, and eat it. I have a functioning immune system. I don't feel compelled to clean the humidifier and hose every day when I use distilled water even though it's not a bad idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Soooo, they tell you to not turn it up or you'll get rain out but they won't sell you something to help prevent the rain out?

You need another supplier. One who doesn't pat you on the head and imply you are "just the patient" and couldn't possibly understand the technology involved.

Soooo, tell them you want a heated hose or you will go elsewhere. Tell them it is about compliance and with the dryness you are experiencing, you won't use the machine, you'll give it back, and they won't get paid. Yes, be sarcastic. Or, better yet, be even more sarcastic and take the machine back and tell them you will take your business elsewhere since they don't seem to think you are an adult.

Now, about the non-emptying tank. Turn the humidifier up and see if rainout occurs. It may not if your room is warm enough. There are sensors in most machines that determine the room humidity level. If the room is already humid enough, the machine doesn't add humidity to the air going to you. So the water in the tank doesn't lower during the night. Some nights, you may not use any. Some nights, you may not make it through the night before it runs out.

About the dry mouth - you might be opening your mouth and breathing that way. Do you have a bed partner? Ask that person if you are. It is common for new users to do this even if they didn't before use. You can make a home made chin strap to help with it. Use an Ace bandage, wrap it around your head and chin (like those old photos of folks with the mumps). You don't need to wrap it but maybe twice. You need it tight enough that your mouth will not open will relaxed but not so tight you cannot chew without some effort. You want to be able to open your mouth in case of emergency. Try that and see if the dryness lessens.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for the advice. I will definitely pursue getting a heated hose. Love the idea of the ace bandage. Will try it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2014, 05:01 PM)Mr. Van Winkle Wrote:
(12-11-2014, 04:35 PM)Karenjme Wrote: thanks. I AM going to use distilled water......I think I will just wipe the nasal pillows each morning and wash EVERYTHING once a week as instructed.
My insurance treated the machine as a RENTAL but I think at some point I OWN it. I have two diff stories on this.

Ins. also pays for:
monthly: Nasal pillows
every 3 months: Nasal mask, tubing
every 6 months: headgear, and the black filter that goes in the back (I dont know if all machines have that.

I have a Remstar Auto cpap machine and a Nuance mask. I have 30 days to change out the mask if I dont like the pillows.

I know mine is a rent to own, they want to make sure you are a compliant CPAP user, before they invest in a machine that might sit in a closet , Rent two months and own on the 3rd month, I guess it makes sense , also the 3mo/mask , tubes and 6 months headgear, 5 yrs for a new machine.

Mr. Van Winkle

I was told the insurance paid a rental for 13 months (why that number, who knows?) and then I own it.

BTW, I pulled my machine off the nightstand onto the floor one night and the machine came through fine. If something goes wrong with the machine, what then? Would a drop be covered?

Today when I ordered my replacement parts I asked for a longer air hose and they gave it to me.
Now maybe I won't pull it off the nightstand again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never understood why they insist on distilled rather than just purified water.

And also, in my 18 years of CPAP use I have only washed the water tank about 3 times.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,769 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.