Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CHanging water in Humidifier, using nasal pillows
RE: CHanging water in Humidifier, using nasal pillows
A man with similar disposition to mine, although I do use distilled water.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I wash my mask daily the hose and tank weekly and I use distilled water.

BUT for some reason I forgot to clean my tank for over 2 weeks, all I did was add new water. When I did look at my tank there was a clear scum covering every thing. Now I dump the extra water everyday and rinse the tank out.

Bard
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.theanswer.philips.com/masks/nuance/care/
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
I have something of the opposite problem. My humidifier empties sometime in the night and my mouth is completely desiccated! I fill it each night with distilled water.

I awaken several times during the night and have to remove my mask to drink water but the tissue quickly dries out again as soon as I replace the mask.

As a retired dentist, I am concerned about the effect of the complete desiccation on my teeth and oral tissues. The long term effects AREN'T good.

NOTE: The reason to use distilled water is to avoid the possibility of encountering Naeglaria fowleri (google it). Nagelaria is usually found fresh water lakes but it has been found in city water supplies.

Bob
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2015, 03:47 PM)bettis1 Wrote: I have something of the opposite problem. My humidifier empties sometime in the night and my mouth is completely desiccated! I fill it each night with distilled water.

I awaken several times during the night and have to remove my mask to drink water but the tissue quickly dries out again as soon as I replace the mask.

As a retired dentist, I am concerned about the effect of the complete desiccation on my teeth and oral tissues. The long term effects AREN'T good.

NOTE: The reason to use distilled water is to avoid the possibility of encountering Naeglaria fowleri (google it). Nagelaria is usually found fresh water lakes but it has been found in city water supplies.

Bob

Hi Bob,
You may be breathing through your mouth even with that full face mask. I know that dry mouth feeling, and it is awful.
Before bed, I use a rinse like Biotene or Act Total Care Dry Mouth Rinse, then if I get up in middle of night and find I have been mouth breathing, I will use it again.
I'm not sure about your humidifier, I've never used all the water in mine.
Although I run a stand alone humidifier in my room at night.
OpalRose

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, OpalRose. Yes, I an a mouth breather. I try to go to sleep breathing through my nose but I often fail. My nasal septa is deviated and I get only a small amount of air through my nares. I don't know if a chin strap would help or not. No one (either the sleep doc or the apparatus vendor) has ever suggested that mouth breathing was not an acceptable way to oxygenate with the mask on.

Thanks for the recommendation of the BioTene. I have used it in the past and will try it again.

Bob
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2015, 06:13 PM)bettis1 Wrote: Yes, I an a mouth breather. I try to go to sleep breathing through my nose but I often fail. My nasal septa is deviated and I get only a small amount of air through my nares. I don't know if a chin strap would help or not.

I have a full face mask and wake up in the middle of the night with my mouth open and dry. So dry that my inner cheeks have swollen and it's difficult to close back down without biting them. I keep working on staying closed. It's only been five nights so far, so not sure how it's progressing... Smile

I had been running my humidification level on "auto" which equates to level 4 of possible 8, from what I understand. Recently I changed it to manual and level 6 which has helped some. On auto my tank is sitting at about 1/4 full after 8 hours. On 6 it ends around 1/8 full. Last night I slept 9.5 hours and it was pretty close to empty - but still had a little left.

Mask leaks will use up the water faster.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2014, 05:02 PM)Karenjme Wrote: Thanks. I'll figure out a good routine for me.

with current insurance, my co-pay for replacement parts SHOULD BE:
headgear US $7.49
mask (nasal pillow): 22.17
FIlter foam - 2 pc - 2.89
tubing 7.73
Humidifier 56.78 (2 yr warranty on this and CPAP machine

I'm seeing the Nuance small nasal pillow on Ebay (probably also on Amazon) for $10.00 a copy. Nice guys, your insurance company.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2014, 01:34 PM)lab rat Wrote: I have never understood why they insist on distilled rather than just purified water.

And also, in my 18 years of CPAP use I have only washed the water tank about 3 times.

In the winter, I boil a gallon or two of water in a pot on the stove to put some humidity in the very dry air. The pot I use is covered with a very thick lime deposit. The same think would happen, albeit to a much lesser degree, to the humidifier tank, hose, and mask. More importantly since those parts are all replaced periodically, you could also get some water into the blower part of the unit and could gum up the sensors and moving parts with lime deposits.

I pay 88 cents per gallon for distilled water. I get about two weeks out of a gallon. The container sits in the bedroom so it's really easy to quickly fill the humidifier tank before going to bed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,769 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.