Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Daytime oxygen levels
Question 
Daytime oxygen levels
Totally new, testing still to come.

Question: why was my oxygen level low in the daytime, after I'd been awake and breathing normally (?) for hours?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Daytime oxygen levels
insufficient lung function?

shallow breathing?

lung disease?

could be many things.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 06:50 PM)Freedom Wrote: Totally new, testing still to come.

Question: why was my oxygen level low in the daytime, after I'd been awake and breathing normally (?) for hours?
Welcome to forum, Freedom
Answer: I don,t have medical expertise to offer an explanation, talk to your doctor, he/she knows your medical history
Post Reply Post Reply
Define low. 1/2 cup? Low daytime O2 caused by many things, but not likely Apnea. Do you smoke? Do you have Asthma/Emphysema/Chronic Bronchitis/Itchy palm syndrome? Do you live in Aspen Colorado?

Lots to think about, but not here. You need a flesh and blood doc to help you with this.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2014, 06:50 PM)Freedom Wrote: Totally new, testing still to come.

Hi Freedom, welcome to the forum!

Did you have an overnight screen test for sleep apnea which revealed low SpO2 (Saturation percentage of Oxygen) levels even when awake (perhaps in addition to dips in blood O2 while sleep from apneas)?

Perhaps you have anemia? Or some lung condition? Those are fairly common reasons for low blood O2 levels even when awake. You can ask your primary care physician for blood tests, including a test for anemia and whatever other tests he/she may consider appropriate.

Good luck and take care,
--- Vaugn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Freedom,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You should ask your doc about that.
Best of luck to you with your upcoming test and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps Pickwickian syndrome or Atelectasis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atelectasis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_hyp...n_syndrome

Obstructive sleep apnea can cause Atelectasis.
Obesity -- especially central obesity can cause hypoventilation.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll use myself as an example: Prior to 2009 (was already on CPAP, and knew about my OSA) my day-time O2 numbers sitting still were always 97-99% (remember, all Oximeters are +/- 1 point accuracy). As a fat guy, during exercise I could easily drop into the low 80s, but after sitting for a few minutes, numbers would climb back up.

I then went through being in hospital twice in 14 months with multiple PEs (pulmonary embolisms - blood clots in the lungs) - these create scarring in the lungs at every point a clot was - so my new normal became 93-95% when sitting still, and even with both weight loss (bout 80lbs, with more to go) and quitting smoking, and, being released from my heart Doctor's care, when working hard I will drop into the mid 70s, and it'll take around 5+ minutes of sitting still to get my O2 back around 93%. The simple act of taking a shower will drop me into the mid 80s.

Then, Dec '13, due to internal bleeding, I was found to have a blood count of '8.2' (my INR was fine at 2.7) and my blood O2 could not stay above 90% on my own. Severe Anemia due to blood loss, hospital for a refill, iron pills for 90 days, blood count back up above '13' - O2 numbers back to my normal range of 93-95% resting during the daytime.

FYI - numbers are of course lower at night.

My point is, the meters are not completely accurate, they can't be. You didn't state any actual numbers so we do not know if you are low or not (chronic resting numbers of 93% or lower [day-time], means it's time to see a DR ASAP). Your own history will change what is *normal* for you, compared to what is *normal* for me. - Most 'normal' people in average health can walk and talk and stay above 97% while doing so. The big key because there are so many factors is two points:
1) what is your sitting/resting O2 level?
2) How fast does your level recover from activity to your sitting/resting level?

Please note: None of the above has much to do with night-time/sleeping O2 levels. Some folks need supplemental O2 only at night, conversely, some only need it during the day.

We need more info from you to help you further. Welcome to the forum Smile
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,618 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Daytime sleepiness zzcop302 0 99 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zzcop302
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 686 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 924 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,756 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 359 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 532 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.