Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does a leak really matter if I have a low AHI?
Does a leak really matter if I have a low AHI?
Some background:  Years ago I was in an airplane crash and got one side of my nose filleted.  It was surgically repaired and while it's not noticeable externally, I have a buildup of scar tissue internally.  This is generally not an issue but a mask that isn't quite wide enough presses against my right nostril, which then shuts off my air on that one side. I sleep exclusively on my right side.

Years ago, we addressed this by using Adams circuit nasal prongs.  It would leave my nares sore in the morning and over time I developed the habit of mouth breathing once I was sound asleep.  So I switched to a full face mask.  For the last couple of years I used a Resmed F20i mask, which solved many problems but position had to be absolutely perfect or I felt like I couldn't breath out of my right nare.  I was using the MyAir app and typically scored 97-100, gaining full credit for a perfect seal.  I will mention I have a short beard and mustache, typically between 1/4 and 1/2 inch long.

Last week I switched to the Resmed F20 which is physically bigger than the other mask and solved any problems with the mask pressing against the side of my nose,  Great!  But then I noted I was getting gigged by the MyAir software for having a poor seal.  No more perfect scores.

Initially, I felt I was being starved for air a little so I bumped up my pressure from 10cm to 12cm.  That took care of any sense of starvation.  It also took me down from 1-3 events per hour to essentially 0-1.

So the question becomes, aside from the personal goal of maxing out my score every night, does it really matter if my mask leaks, given what it has done to reduce my apnea?

I have played with the straps quite a bit but can't seem to find the sweet spot.  My Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset tells me I have a good seal when I use its "check fit" function but then in the morning I find I got gigged again by MyAir.  Perhaps I should just adjust my expectations and be happy my AHI is so low now.  God knows the mask is more comfortable than the old one.  I really can't feel a leak.

Opinions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does a leak really matter if I have a low AHI?
How about an Oscar report to see leaks and flow rate, etc.....

How you feel is most important. I like under 1 AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO it depends. Is the leaks are marginal then you are likely ok. If they are big, and I don't mean a little into large leak territory them no, they could be hiding significant events.
Unfortunately you will not be able to tell with the very limited data from MyAir, you will need OSCAR.

This is based on you having significant consistent low AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
I think MyAir is not going to give you the info you need in order to come to a good conclusion.

OSCAR really is so valuable in determining this for yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 30 5 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 236 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 141 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 151 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 133 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  2 weeks in. Mask leak and flow limit Jojo1982 11 672 02-22-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Jojo1982

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.