Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CMS50I-CMS50F oximeters: technical and uploading differences and limits
CMS50I-CMS50F oximeters: technical and uploading differences and limits
I own a now-dead 50I. Would someone please fill me in on capabilities of the 50F? Does it record perfusion index data as well as SpO2 and pulse rate data and display a "plethy", too? I think its real time finger-sensor data can be fed directly into a computer (for whatever that may be worth). Is its battery replaceable, a "cell"?

I tried but never succeeded in uploading to SleepyHead from the 50I more than that one night of oximetry data for the same--and latest--sleep session dataset uploaded from the A10's card. (SH v1.0.0-beta-2[cb213cc Open GL]). If that single latest sleep session matchup of A10 and 50I datasets is a limitation of SH, then there is no point in buying the 50I again for its 7-day storage capacity (though I did find it reassuring it would accumulate and hold up to a 7-day backup).

Also, I tried but failed to find a way to upload appropriately dated SpO2 data to have it displayed/matched with a sleep session earlier than the last session that had been uploaded from the A10's SD card. 

My 50I's battery has died after 28 months of continuous use and I doubt--but will keep looking for--a replacement that is accessible to me for the hard-wired battery it uses. A small circuit board strip is an integral part of the battery, soldered to both its poles--all tightly sealed inside a plastic film wrapper with two wires going to the "motherboard".

I think the 50I differs from the 50F in NOT being approved by the FDA for some reason. I will say its readings always agreed with oximeters of various medical providers. 

To keep it simpler, I'd appreciate it if anyone responding would simply insert their responses, possibly in a different colored font, within the body of my text.

Thanks for considering this.

2SB
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CMS50I-CMS50F oximeters: technical and uploading differences and limits
I know the CMS50F only records a single session. Looking at it I don't think the battery was made to be replaced either. It only records SpO2 and pulse rate. The finger sensor attaches a wrist device which you wear during the night. You can than download to the computer.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The 50F doesn't report the perfusion index, only pulse, and SpO2  Also. the 50F will store only 1 session as opposed to the 50I's 14. (If I remember correctly)  You are correct about the 50I not being FDA approved in the U.S.  

SleepyHead's earlier version, 0.9.8.1-Testing, will import either the 50F or 50I without problems.  I have to import the ".spo2" file in SH 1.0.0- Beta-2 for it to work.  Both SleepyHead versions will not display perfusion index if imported from the spo2 file. You will have to import it directly from the 50I.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2018, 03:01 AM)2SleepBetta Wrote: I own a now-dead 50I. Would someone please fill me in on capabilities of the 50F? Does it record perfusion index data as well as SpO2 and pulse rate data and display a "plethy", too? I think its real time finger-sensor data can be fed directly into a computer (for whatever that may be worth). Is its battery replaceable, a "cell"?

Welcome to the club. I own a now dead 50F. Apparently the OLED died. When it worked, the 50F recorded pulse rate and SpO2 only.

While the finger cuff looks like it has a miniUSB connector, close examination with a lighted magnifier revealed a set of contacts on each side of the tongue - definitely non-standard.

It uses a soldered-in LiIon or LiPoly cell with a small circuit at the top, and two leads to the board. Both the OLED and the cell are glued to the board.

I tried but never succeeded in uploading to SleepyHead from the 50I more than that one night of oximetry data for the same--and latest--sleep session dataset uploaded from the A10's card. (SH v1.0.0-beta-2[cb213cc Open GL]). If that single latest sleep session matchup of A10 and 50I datasets is a limitation of SH, then there is no point in buying the 50I again for its 7-day storage capacity (though I did find it reassuring it would accumulate and hold up to a 7-day backup).

I believe the SleepyHead direct import was designed before the 50I was released, so it's multi-day recording was not considered, and is not handled properly. There are some other problems with direct import, which I am working on, and it may be possible to fix multi session import. I don't have a 50I to work with, unfortunately.

Also, I tried but failed to find a way to upload appropriately dated SpO2 data to have it displayed/matched with a sleep session earlier than the last session that had been uploaded from the A10's SD card. 

My 50I's battery has died after 28 months of continuous use and I doubt--but will keep looking for--a replacement that is accessible to me for the hard-wired battery it uses. A small circuit board strip is an integral part of the battery, soldered to both its poles--all tightly sealed inside a plastic film wrapper with two wires going to the "motherboard".

Adafruit sells a variety of LiPoly cells, all with the protective circuit; but given the touchiness of such cells, I can't recommend substituting for an unknown cell.

I think the 50I differs from the 50F in NOT being approved by the FDA for some reason. I will say its readings always agreed with oximeters of various medical providers. 

In short, I'm not particularly happy with the Contec offerings. Although I did just purchase a 50D+.

To keep it simpler, I'd appreciate it if anyone responding would simply insert their responses, possibly in a different colored font, within the body of my text.

Thanks for considering this.

2SB
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2018, 06:43 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: I know the CMS50F only records a single session. Looking at it I don't think the battery was made to be replaced either. It only records SpO2 and pulse rate. The finger sensor attaches a wrist device which you wear during the night. You can than download to the computer.

(04-04-2018, 07:28 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: The 50F doesn't report the perfusion index, only pulse, and SpO2  Also. the 50F will store only 1 session as opposed to the 50I's 14. (If I remember correctly)  You are correct about the 50I not being FDA approved in the U.S.  

SleepyHead's earlier version, 0.9.8.1-Testing, will import either the 50F or 50I without problems.  I have to import the ".spo2" file in SH 1.0.0- Beta-2 for it to work.  Both SleepyHead versions will not display perfusion index if imported from the spo2 file. You will have to import it directly from the 50I.

hmm... my 50F is connected to this computer right now; I hope it doesn't pay any attention to your comments (I downloaded Moanday and Chewsday data from it yestiddy moaning. Mine will store "approximately 72 hours" of data, but the most I've pushed it was 4 days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure how you did that? When I started recording it wrote over the previous recording.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
huh! I din' do it, it jus' did it for me. What baffles me is why it will show "Recording" when I wake up, the probe is plugged in, but nothing's recorded. Fifty dollar POS.

Mine shows "Ver  6. 0" when I boot. Can't recall where (musta been on this forum) I saw a reference to 50Fs being updated. I bought mine this year. How old is yourn?
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought it last year. Shows Ver 3.9 when you first turn it on. Must of updated them.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if it's just a flash update or some electronics changed. I saw a post by [b]pholynyk[/b] about changing batteries in the 50I. I wonder if he would know if you can update the Fs. But you may not care, having developed the routine of d'loading the data every day ensures that you don't go too long and have gaps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just used it for spot checks. I doubt they bother to upgrade older versions they're cheap and made in china. Easier just to make a newer one than update it.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limits How to Upgrade CPAP to Bilevel Deborah K. 109 8,650 04-08-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,361 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,798 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  Fixing Flow Limits esleepie 11 563 02-24-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  EPR Change to Help With Flow Limits? upsman 4 380 01-22-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: upsman
  Do Doctors Even Have Access to Flow Limits Info? paulag1955 16 722 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  relationship between flow limits, leaks and pressure TexasDon 5 400 01-17-2024, 11:36 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.