Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

desperate: stopping cpap for now
RE: desperate: stopping cpap for now
(08-17-2014, 06:46 PM)storywizard Wrote: Could not afford an ASV machine...so won't even go there..

Well, I think your symptoms match Central or Complex Sleep Apnea, and in my view without ASV you would likely continue spending time and money with little benefit.

Used ASV machines are surprisingly affordable.

To keep up to date, you can occasionally check out prices at Supplier #2. (Link to Supplier List is at top of all forum pages.) Their inventory varies weekly or monthly, so one would need to keep checking periodically, and prices include professional cleaning and usually new water chamber and new hose and 6 month or longer warrantee.

I would recommend one of the following models:
1. PRS1 DS960 BiPAP autoSV Advanced (allows heated hose)
2. PRS1 DS950 BiPAP autoSV Advanced (doesn't allow heated hose)
3. ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt REF# 36037 (ASV and ASVauto modes)
4. ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt REF# 36007 (ASV but not ASVauto mode)

Or an alternative to ASV would be the ResMed S9 VPAP ST-A or PRS1 BiPAP AVAPS DS1160 or DS1150, but I think those are not any cheaper.

Another option (which would be cheaper and probably more comfortable than ASV) would be CPAP/APAP/BiPAP coupled with Supplemental O2. Supplemental O2 sometimes (meaning "in some patients") largely eliminates Central Apneas but regular monitoring (meaning weekly or whenever changing meds or when traveling, etc) of blood O2 levels (SpO2) while asleep is needed to avoid the serious dangers of getting too much O2, so you would also need to invest in a comfortable recording Pulse Oximeter (meaning one which is worn like a wrist watch, with separate finger sensor cup which applies less pressure on the finger).

Actually, I recommend getting a Pulse-Ox right away, such as are available from Supplier #19.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: desperate: stopping cpap for now
You really need a sleep study at the very least. Please don't be discouraged. I was extremely tired after CPAP therapy and the sleep doc said it's fine. I switched doctor's and when the new doctor read my SD card, he said that I was having too many central apnea events and he changed the machine that I used. He also had me tested genetically and found out that I had narcolepsy. I needed medication along with CPAP to keep me awake during the day.

If you have tried everything, maybe your set up is bothering you. I got a FitLife mask from Respironics and immediately, I was in heaven. It is a total face mask. No face dents or claustrophobia to disturb sleep.

So don't be discouraged. If you need to go off for a short time, that's okay, but get to the bottom of your being so exhausted. Your wife needs you to be functional so you can take care of her. All care givers need to take of themselves first and it's so easy to forget.

Good luck to both of you,
Kate
:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask anxiety is making me desperate - any help appreciated! Tropicalhammock777 9 773 11-14-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: mesenteria
  Am I doing this right (OSCAR)? - Desperate and Need help Psperez27 5 532 10-15-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Desperate for Humidity level help please luigi28me 4 714 09-24-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Treatment] Desperate for assistance. UARS and APAP vermilion48 3 715 09-11-2023, 11:37 PM
Last Post: jwest
  [CPAP] CA increase after stopping with drinking Sprunk 12 1,484 05-30-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: restless51
  Stopping AirSense 10 AutoSet Nailuj 3 437 04-20-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  New Member desperate for help Mandrake 17 1,423 10-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Mandrake

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.