Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CO2 Retention - ASV (ComSAS)
CO2 Retention - ASV (ComSAS)
Hello Every one,

I've been using the ASV for couple of nights and I had a perfect AHI. The problem is I feel more fatigue and dizziness. I'm have a CO2 retention so I'm not exhaling the co2 and absorbing it.

I'm thinking by reducing EPAP and Increasing pressure support to make larger difference to help to exhale.

I'm using full face mask I'm asking if I use nasal mask would help to more CO2 washout. Any other ideas ?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CO2 Retention - ASV (ComSAS)
Having higher pressure support will lead to more co2 washout but reducing epap may increase obstructive apneas and lead to lower O2. So it's not that simple. I suggest you consult your physician. There could be multiple cpap related reasons for feeling dizzy in the morning.

You could go to a nasal pillow mask. It has the least amount of dead space so it will help in increasing co2 washout. Also, you can use the slim tube (15mm diameter instead of 22mm). This too reduces dead space in the breathing circuit.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-22-2015, 04:03 PM)niammus Wrote: Hello Every one,

I've been using the ASV for couple of nights and I had a perfect AHI. The problem is I feel more fatigue and dizziness. I'm have a CO2 retention so I'm not exhaling the co2 and absorbing it.

I'm thinking by reducing EPAP and Increasing pressure support to make larger difference to help to exhale.

I'm using full face mask I'm asking if I use nasal mask would help to more CO2 washout. Any other ideas ?

Thanks

What makes you think that you are having CO2 retention caused by CPAP? CO2 retention can be from other causes. You should see your doc as soon as possible.

Increasing the EPAP will increase the air flow through your mask to increase replacement of air with fresh.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2015, 04:59 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(12-22-2015, 04:03 PM)niammus Wrote: I've been using the ASV for couple of nights and I had a perfect AHI. The problem is I feel more fatigue and dizziness. I'm have a CO2 retention so I'm not exhaling the co2 and absorbing it.

Increasing the EPAP will increase the air flow through your mask to increase replacement of air with fresh.

Yes, raising EPAP will increase CO2 washout because it will increase airflow through the mask vent holes during exhalation.

I recommend buying a recording pulse oximeter if feasible, so you can track your blood O2 levels. Raising the Pressure Support will tend to raise the average SpO2 (Oxygen saturation in the blood, as measured "percutaneously" through the skin). The kind worn on the wrist with separate finger sensor cup is more comfortable, especially if worn several days in a row.

Supplier 19 is a reputable supplier of pulse oximeters. (A link to Supplier List is at the head of Apnea Board web pages.)

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you're really badly dizzy or fatigued, don't do anything based on a few nights sleep with any change in CPAP.

If you've been having apnea during the night, your body adjusts. When you start or change CPAP, even if completely eliminates your apnea, your body may be out of balance until it readjusts to not being strangled all night long. You might even be feeling dizzy because you're not accumulating CO2.

Also, check your minute vent rates. That will probably give you some clue as to whether you should be retaining CO2.

(12-22-2015, 04:03 PM)niammus Wrote: Hello Every one,

Thanks

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Soft Cervical Collar and Heat Retention Columbiabill 3 371 01-21-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Question re: Settings retention after Firmware Update for DreamStation Auto CPAP Rxsamg 2 1,192 03-28-2020, 12:28 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Grin CPAP and water retention? Dooley 10 11,185 07-25-2019, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Dooley
  Can using a CPap/BiPap cause water retention? LookingForward 3 2,610 02-25-2019, 04:36 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  CPAP and pitting edema (fluid retention) zonk 23 40,612 12-18-2016, 07:27 PM
Last Post: Beelotus
  Weight Gain From Water Retention Louis R. 54 11,683 09-12-2015, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Louis R.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.