Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Hassels over getting a new DME supplier
Hassels over getting a new DME supplier
I've been making phone calls back and forth between myself and the new DME supplier that I wanted to do business with. It seems that everytime you switch suppliers (which I've only done once in 7 years) it is like you are a brand new cpap patient and you have to prove everything they can possibly think of. I see the sleep doctor once a year because I am 100% compliant and so far have not had any major problems. My yearly appointment is not until October 2016 but the new DME still cannot send me any supplies until after the appointment. Sigh.......it is almost easier to buy online from one of the suppliers listed on this website rather than go through the hassel of trying to get insurance to pay for it. End of rant..................
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Hassels over getting a new DME supplier
Your prescription is good for a year. They have no excuse. Contact the manager and ask why their PT is unaware that the state considers your prescription good for a year everywhere else but at a durable medical equipment provider? Your doc can send the script without a problem.

Now, if you have Medicare, then you need all the same stuff - copy of the sleep study, the doc notes and the prescription, but it's already been done before so should be easy as pie to switch.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2016, 04:25 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Now, if you have Medicare, then you need all the same stuff - copy of the sleep study, the doc notes and the prescription, but it's already been done before so should be easy as pie to switch.

same nonsense is needed if using insurance co's too.. in most cases..

I've not tried online yet..

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
It's annoying, for sure. I ended up waiting until I had a new sleep study to titrate a new ASV before switching. You don't need to see the doctor in order to get your supplies. The DME needs a copy of your sleep study. The DME needs to certify that you really do need the machine and supplies. You can request that your doctor send them one. You can also request that they send a prescription for the needed supplies if you do not have one.

My family medical doctor told me that she has to write a new prescription every time I need supplies. She refuses to allow refills on the script and specifies "ONE" mask, and "ONE" set of supplies. I order filters for my ASV online and also parts of masks instead of a complete one. But now that my out of pocket max has been reached for the year (unfortunately) I will ask my friendly and helpful GYN for a script when I see her in September so that I can get mask/filters/hose/humidifier for free and set them aside. Fortunately I"ll hit the six month spot since my last script in December so I can hit up the insurance company.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, Medicare and DMEs are a pain. My DME didn't win the last round of competitive bidding; they can no longer send me supplies under Medicare.
I've contacted several DMEs who are on the winner's list -- they want all that data plus Rx. They expect me to get the information to them.
Not this cowboy. I'm buying online from whomever has the best price. I have my Rx in hand; so, I'm legal on my end.

Attention DMEs: If you want my business, you have to contact my doctor and get the required paperwork.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2016, 04:25 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Your prescription is good for a year. They have no excuse. Contact the manager and ask why their PT is unaware that the state considers your prescription good for a year everywhere else but at a durable medical equipment provider? Your doc can send the script without a problem.

Now, if you have Medicare, then you need all the same stuff - copy of the sleep study, the doc notes and the prescription, but it's already been done before so should be easy as pie to switch.

The 'new' DME that I would like to get supplies from has everything that they asked for except the doc notes. They are claiming since the last doc notes are from Sep 2015 that makes the most recent notes almost a year old and definitely over a year old by the time of my next sleep doctor appointment. Never mind that the sleep doctor is in high demand and I've already waited 6 months just to get an appointment with him in Oct 2016. I give up. My late Father once told me "sometimes you just can't fight city hall." Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry Former CPAP supplier over charging Bwanajohn51 2 168 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  GRRR. DME supplier shipped ClimateLineAir Heated Tubing in a BAG DaveInDenver 4 546 11-12-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Resmed A10 Autoset - Great Buy - Supplier 1 foss 0 515 11-29-2022, 05:11 PM
Last Post: foss
  Insurance and DME supplier vs Online purchases ajthatch 4 829 10-28-2022, 09:00 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Cpap supplier jerking your chain ger365 10 1,346 06-21-2022, 10:01 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Supplier no. 9? And Resmed hose question TheManseHen 5 931 04-22-2022, 09:06 AM
Last Post: SilverD
  Supplier Does Not Have CPAP Units to Dispense jomomma 16 2,293 03-24-2022, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Aldebaran

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.