Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

COPD, Emphysema and such with Apnea.
RE: COPD, Emphysema and such with Apnea.
When I was at EPR 2, which I had done to combat the "hammering" effect you have experienced I was trucking along very nicely, but it seemed like I could feel a little better during the day than I was. The only thing that was a little out of whack was my Flow Limit, which while not awful, was a bit choppy. I decided to increase my pressure by 1 to see what that might do to the Flow Limit, and at the same time I increased my EPR back to 3 instead of 2. The net result is my Flow Limit smoothed out considerably but my exhale pressure was the same as before. So... No hammer, happier Flow Limit, and feel better during the day. Win win win.

I think these little tweaky things are something we'll probably have to do off and on as we rock along.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2014, 03:00 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: ...........then I suppose I'll need to ask what kind of box would I need then. Perhaps a VPAP?

or maybe two machines. One for each ear.
Post Reply Post Reply
what does epr stand for, when I go to the pulmo should I also take any info from the sleep apnea with me?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2014, 07:59 PM)annbower1125 Wrote: what does epr stand for, when I go to the pulmo should I also take any info from the sleep apnea with me?

Expiration Pressure Relief. It means that if your pressure is set to 12 for example, and the EPR is set to 3, the pressure will be reduced to 9 when you exhale. Since COPD is often a problem of not being able to expel the air, it makes therapy easier.

Yes, take your sleep apnea results with you, and a record of what your settings are. Are you running Sleepyhead, or Rescan? If so, print out the reports so you'll have them.

Also, you might want to take Surfie with you.... We need the break!

Post Reply Post Reply
oh ok thanks for the info :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
I would love to take both of you to the doctors with me, your alls knowledge is amazing. Thanks for all the great advice :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
until last night I wasn't aware that resmed made a machine especially for those of us who have COPD. The machine model is called, "VPAP COPD".

Am wondering why I wasn't assigned that model instead of the Adapt model .. guess would need to address its capabilities before judging since I have mainly Central Apnea's ..

Is any one else aware of this model and what it can do??
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't heard about this until now either Rabbit. Although I'm perfectly happy with my S9 Autoset, I'll send a blast-o-gram to my pulmonist & see what he has to say about it. Just looking at the user guide, you can't really make any conclusions as to why or why not use this machine over the others. Don't know if we can get a clinician's manual for it or not, and it might be difficult perhaps without one.

I'm getting that this machine is for those who have a tendency towards hypercapnia due to copd, or possibly as a result of oxygen therapy.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2014, 12:22 AM)retired_guy Wrote: I haven't heard about this until now either Rabbit. Although I'm perfectly happy with my S9 Autoset, I'll send a blast-o-gram to my pulmonist & see what he has to say about it. Just looking at the user guide, you can't really make any conclusions as to why or why not use this machine over the others. Don't know if we can get a clinician's manual for it or not, and it might be difficult perhaps without one.

I'm getting that this machine is for those who have a tendency towards hypercapnia due to copd, or possibly as a result of oxygen therapy.

Happened to find it in a search .. Resmed has a line of machines for this it seems .. not sure what/who the proper usage would be for either but interesting that there is something for possible in the far future for some one with COPD.

Not sure if its for just sleeping use either, need to investigate a bit more.

It also seems all the new machines will be Bluetooth capable .
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2014, 03:29 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Yep, I even had a echocardiogram with Doppler and my Pulman said it looked OK. Funny thing though, and I'll be taking this up with him, there was a line in the report that stated "abnormal LV relaxation pattern by Doppler consistent with diastolic dysfunction".

That doesn't sound like OK to me. It sounds more like "if you lie down, you may have trouble breathing". Huhsign

Diastolic dysfunction of the LV is not uncommon in us old folks. Normally the left ventricle relaxes between beats and creates a suction to help it fill for the next beat. LV walls get thicker and stiffer with age and lose that suction effect. In the absence of other conditions it's not a big issue.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 770 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,032 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,488 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
Question COPD & Sleep Apnea - looking for info Hydrangea 2 592 08-01-2022, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,628 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  Apnea statistics question, how tightly controlled is your apnea? happydreams 24 2,883 06-13-2021, 04:38 AM
Last Post: ICEMAN
  New to Sleep Apnea (central Apnea) cyipher 17 1,936 05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.