Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

COPD complication and cough?
COPD complication and cough?
Happy with CPAP once I found the right nasal pillow. But there's a recent complication. I've been diagnosed with borderline COPD (inherited AAT protein deficiency not smoking), and am waiting to see a doctor about that. Recently I had a sore throat that is mostly healed though leaving the nose/throat kind of sensitive. Last night was typical of what is happening. The minute I put the nasal pillow on, I start having a very persistent hacking cough. Apparently small amounts of mucus are forming in my lungs and causing a "tickle" cough that attempts to expel the material. I tried cutting the amount of humidity in half, since the ambient room air is only at about 40 percent humidity and no problems with that. No luck. I tried propping myself up so I'm not flat and get only mild relief. At 3 a.m. I take the nasal pillow off and go to sit in the living room, where the coughing immediately stops. Not really a solution. Comments?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: COPD complication and cough?
First thought; and I am basing this on what happened to a friend about 15 months ago, get a cardio workup to rule out congestive heart failure.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You might also want to try raising the humidity instead of reducing it. Sometimes these things are caused by the mucous being to thick and not moving like it normally does. Just a thought that might be worth a try.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
After some tinkering, tried it with no humidity, and all coughing stopped. My throat was a bit dry on waking, so next test is to raise humidity slowly.

Interesting from comments on this board is that more or less moisture seems to depend on the individual.

I regard this as solved, at least for me. Good luck to all you other COPD / CPAP people out there!
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like a positional issue. Have you tried sleeping on your side?

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Neither being on my side or at an angle really helped. Good idea tho.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question COPD & Sleep Apnea - looking for info Hydrangea 2 592 08-01-2022, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Cough while using pjhiett 1 574 01-21-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Slight aerophagia? Leading to gerd induced chronic cough legrunt 6 1,090 09-05-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: legrunt
  Could humidifier cause a cough? StevesSp 4 968 07-06-2021, 12:25 PM
Last Post: factor
  [CPAP] Low oxygen on CPAP/hearth palpitation and cough + Oscar reading merlinakis 19 2,564 06-18-2021, 05:38 AM
Last Post: merlinakis
  Cough since starting PAP? Worrying? tierdal 6 833 04-23-2021, 07:17 AM
  What is the best machine today for both COPD and Sleep Apnea? BrainFog 6 1,570 02-09-2021, 12:57 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.