Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

COST!!
Angry 
COST!!
Admittedly, I live in Canada and everything in Canada is twice the cost of that in the US (which makes me crazy since 90% of us live within 100 miles of the US border), but are you guys finding that the cost of a strip of rubbery silicon (Swift FX headgear) is astronomical? I cannot get the stuff from the US because 75% of the sellers don't know that there are other countries in the world and the remaining don't care. Some who will ship, charge a huge amount as if I lived on the moon. It's insane! Breathe, breathe, breathe, 1 - 2 - 3..........OK......I am back.....barely. The REAL reason I am writing is because, like many Canadians I am going south this winter. The polar bears are getting out of hand! Going to Arizona. So, is there a typical, giant, big box , stadium sized CPAP SUPERSTORE or something down there? Where you can buy nasal pillows for a few bucks instead of $200? ResMed 9. Swift FX. Nasal pillows. Which, by the way, work the best. I been 'papping' for seven years or more.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: COST!!
I live in Australia and the cost of anything associated with CPAP is overboard. The CPAP industry here is raking in the big bucks at our expense, and there is not much we can do about it. Buying supplies from overseas is on par, adding in the freight costs and the exchange rate, so it is a no win situation all round.

James
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi coastalhermit,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind you need a prescription to buy a mask or a PAP machine in the US.
It's one of those "nanny state" laws; but that's the way it is.

As for a CPAP superstore... well, most of us in the US get stuff online through licensed DME dispensers.
There are a few brick and mortar CPAP DMEs; but they stock very little.

You really need to converse with some of the other Canadians on the board.
They may know more about the subject.

If you buy something in the US -- will Canadian customs get involved?
(Tax you of fine you for an Rx item???)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
No. Canada customs are line-backers but not for stuff like that. A mask or two for personal use wouldn't raise an eyebrow. A few large cardboard boxes with 000's would but a simple declaration allows that kinda thing. Like many who use CPAP, I am older and retired. But, if I was younger, I would start a silicon-extruding business and sell 'em for what they are worth....a few dollars. But a Swift Fx costs at least $150.00 plus taxes (13%) and it comes with three sizes of pillows. So, you throw away two of them. How crazy! I feel for ya, Ausies........if they are going to cheat us, you are even more ripe being further away.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ah, the 3 sixes of pillows. Here's a common gripe about US DMEs: They determine which size pillow you need and open the package; then remove the other sizes. Then they turn around and sell them to someone else.

Many retired people in the US are on US Medicare. Medicare has been playing games again; and my DME lost their contract.
So, I do not have a DME at this time.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Brick and Mortar DMEs charge an arm and a leg because they use the fictitious pricing for insurance companies, and yes, many of them will charge cash patients the same. Your best bet is to contact the online retailers and find out who will accept a Canadian prescription. Then have stuff shipped to you when you are in AZ. The non-Medicare DMEs in my state accept Canadian prescriptions mostly because we are a border state. But in AZ, you aren't likely to get the same service.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP Blowouts in Bellingham (just over the border) seems to have good prices and ships to Canada. I have not done business with them yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Will check 'em out.
Post Reply Post Reply
You may wish to continue your sight-seeing in Mexico where almost everything is cheaper and they are not all that fussy about prescriptions. Perhaps you can even arrange to Fed-Ex what you need along with a "personal medical equipment" declaration into Canada. The problem with ResMed is that they appear to enforce their online price policy with vigor -- with the only alternative being to bargain in soft dollars (e.g. free shipping, extra non-branded merchandise with high margins, etc.)
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Is $6,800 reasonable cost for a sleep study? Hrapovik 8 961 06-20-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: larrykay
  Low cost 12v - 24v power supply for SEFAM S.Box Kingsway 1 798 05-29-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  If Cost Were No Object Should Everyone Use an ASV? Perchance2Dream 7 735 03-17-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Diagnosis] cost of my sleep study withtao 11 858 10-11-2022, 05:35 PM
Last Post: withtao
  Cost of Diagnosis if uninsured TheManseHen 3 672 10-08-2022, 02:07 PM
Last Post: TheManseHen
Money [Equipment] E0470 Medicare allowable cost? lilymaebelle 2 783 01-10-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: lilymaebelle
  input requested, need for low cost arousal sensors? BB63 11 1,474 08-10-2020, 11:39 AM
Last Post: BB63

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.