Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
RE: CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
Yep Steve, that looks almost exactly like the green "high-flow" one I ordered.  Actually I ordered the blue low-flow model as well, from another supplier, but that hasn't shipped yet...(hmmm.... Thinking-about )
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

(03-17-2020, 06:35 PM)70sSanO Wrote: I didn't want to start a new thread, since this is related in a way.  Because I'm 68 I know where I am on the ventilator medical food chain, but I still have to go to the store to get food.

Even if I don't want to, it appears that there might be a real need to wear some kind of protective respirator mask.  Cheap (not anymore) N95 disposable shop masks are what seems to be in demand but are tough to find.  But I have a used F20 non-vented mask an a used cushion.

So I got to thinking.  I have some 3M P95 cartridge filters in the garage.  What if I put them together?  I need to attach the filter; Probably with tape.  I'll use elastic as straps.  The protection has to be as good as the disposable ones.

John

Who was that masked man?

John rides off into sunset with his trusty Silverado...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
I think I heard today that N95 masks approved for occupational use, and now approved for medical personnel, and a request has gone out for construction firms and others with N95 occupational masks to donate them to local hospitals.

70sSanO, many respirators simply use the P100 cartridge filters which are are even more efficient. There is no shortage of half-face respirators with P100 cartridges, but it seems a bit of overkill. At least is it not kludged together.

Supersleepy, you want diatoms, go to your local pool store. I buy about 40 lbs per year for use in the pool filter.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
I have to say that I originally laughed at the idea of wearing any mask. But when you spend a couple of hours packed in a store scrounging for food, it suddenly didn’t seem as ridiculous.

I did try the filter a couple ways.

If I held the filter tightly over the opening from the outside it does restrict the air a lot.

I found that putting 2 filters covering the inside of the mask was similar airflow to when I wore the respirator years ago; which is still a little bit restricted. I’ll probably do the latter and not tape them down.

I’m pretty sure they don’t want my MacGyver F20.

John
(03-17-2020, 10:19 PM)70sSanO Wrote: I have to say that I originally laughed at the idea of wearing any mask.  But when you spend a couple of hours packed in a store scrounging for food, it suddenly didn’t seem as ridiculous.

I did try the filter a couple ways.

If I held the filter tightly over the opening from the outside it does restrict the air a lot.

I found that putting 2 filters covering the inside of the mask was similar airflow to when I wore the respirator years ago; which is still a little bit restricted.  I’ll probably do the latter and not tape them down.

I’m pretty sure they don’t want my MacGyver F20.

John

John,

I have a different idea. Use the mask, use a short hose, and attach one of those external in-line filter balls like the AG Industries generic bacteria outlet filter.

[Image: ag7178.jpg]
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
For what it's worth, I just ordered a flutter valve off of eBay, cheaper than Amazon's and will arrive sooner. Shipped from the USA.
I  have been wondering if the pneumonia vaccine I had last year, will offer any protective value for a COVID 19 infection.

It's too early, I suppose, to hear definitively from the medical profession .... if they are even collecting that data ..... so wonder what you think.
Sleep-well
The vaccine is for bacterial pneumonia. Unfortunately it will not boost immunity to viral pneumonia'
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

The 2019-2020 influenza vaccine is a quadravalent viral vaccine that has been reported to be about 45% effective against the current circulating strains. It has no effectiveness against novel Coronavirs SARS-CoV-2 according to an interview I heard yesterday. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/season/faq-flu-s...9-2020.htm https://www.livescience.com/flu-shot-eff...eason.html
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Others are wondering the same thing as this thread ...... how to convert CPAP to use as a respirator. I can't take credit for finding this myself, but will pass along.

Here is a link to an article referencing this

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5dm4m...rus-demand

And here is the link to a project

https://github.com/jcl5m1/ventilator

I hope this helps
Sleep-well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 553 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 490 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,776 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 903 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,884 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.