Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
RE: CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
Forum info:

Some folks may have missed it, but we're suspending the commercial links rule (details in link below) for threads marked with the [COVID-19] prefix.  We generally mark the longer coronavirus threads that have a lot of views with that prefix.  The prohibition against most other commercial links remains in effect for other threads & posts.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...19-threads

That said, the forum software automatically prohibits brand-new members with less than 4 posts) from posting outside links.  This is a basic software-run spam-prevention tool.  We can't change that, so if you're new and have info to post, try your best to describe where it came from and then (assuming the info isn't too long) copy & paste the content directly into your forum post.  That's fine to do, since such re-posting comes under the "Fair Use" sections of U.S. Copyright Law.

Thanks folks.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

There is a very good medical professional discussion about use of CPAP for CONVID-19 here on the emcrit pullmcrit Bleeding Edge board.  Sorry about not including a link but I have not posted a reply since 2013.  Bill Wood, ham radio W6FXJ ham
Let me try this again.  If you Google PulmCrit Wee- Could the best mode of noninvasive support for COVID-19 be… CPAP ?? you will find a medical professional's article about using CPAC with COVID-19  It should be of interest to everyone reading this column.  
(03-23-2020, 11:06 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Having agreed to the rules of Apnea Board, you'd have understood there'd be restrictions as a new member. As you are a member, this also means you've accepted those rules.

Regardless of your complaint, here's the link to the article I think you were referring to:
https://www.fda.gov/media/136318/download

To loosley describe this link, the fda is allowing for alterations to a list of equipment and manufacture of parts from different suppliers.  The list includes one XPAP device, but I am not sure if it is a brand we use.  It also allows use of a home portable oxygen concentrator in hospital settings.

A list of expired equipment that can be used and/or modified for use.

It also seems to be a call out to other equipment manufacturers to produce parts/equipment.

All of this is only for the period during the current pandemic/situation.

Really loose description.  If you have any interest be sure to follow the link and read the actual document.
Sleep-well
(03-23-2020, 02:32 PM)w6fxj Wrote: Let me try this again.  If you Google PulmCrit Wee- Could the best mode of noninvasive support for COVID-19 be… CPAP ?? you will find a medical professional's article about using CPAC with COVID-19  It should be of interest to everyone reading this column.  

Here is the link:
https://emcrit.org/pulmcrit/cpap-covid/

From a quick scan of this article, it appears that someone with credentials in Pulmonology thinks that xPAP devices could be of benefit to some COVID-19 patients.  Most interesting.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Marketing YouTube video by bleep sleep but interesting way of preventing the Aerosolization of the virus with a CPAP mask

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mI6HHXWWEiE
So, to extrapolate from this linked article from PulmCrit Wee about using a CPAP machine for Covid19 emergency use, this source thinks CPAP may actually be very beneficial for fighting COVID19 induced lung problems, & recommends CPAP rather than BiPAP as it provides the highest rate of lung ventilation. This requires changing BiPAP machines' settings to essentially eliminate the lower exhale cycle, thereby modifying it to function as a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine.
    If I have understood all this correctly, for my Respironics System 1 BiPAP machine,
this would mean changing the settings to:
  -EPAP (Exhale pos. Press.) Min & Max (both) set to 15-18 CmH2O
    (apparently there is risk of other complications if set higher)
  - PS (Pressure Support) Min & Max (both) set to 0 CmH20  so there is no diff betw inhale & exhale pressures.

Then set the system to monitor :
  - MinVent (Minute Ventilation rate, normal ~ 6-7 liters per min., very low < 5)
   - Vte (Tidal Volume rate - normal ~ 6cc/Kg Body weight ~400ml, very low <5

Lastly it is advisable to somehow monitor the Blood/Oxygen saturation level  (or FiO2) to check that all of the above is having a positve effect (IE the blood is getting proper oxygenation).

I hope I have all this correct. My big disclaimer- I am NOT a doctor, emt etc.; this info is for major mass emergencies/overwhelming of the usual healthcare system. & Thanks to ALL for this very important thread!!!
abworld, I cannot find the linked article, but the information is both counter-intuitive and in my opnion wrong. Before spouting off based on your summary. What linked article, and what is a PulmCrit Wee?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Here is the link to the site that I got my info from, orginally from another poster on this site. I do not know much about them, but the info seemed professional & well reasoned. It referenced recent info about how the Covid19 virus interacts with lung alvioli...

Here is the link to the site that I got my info from, orginally from another poster on this site. I do not know much about them, but the info seemed professional & well reasoned. It referenced recent info about how the Covid19 virus interacts with lung alvioli...

I've been a long time user of APAP machines.  Your discussion focused on CPAP machines that work differently than APAP.  Today's APAP machines have a different pressure on exhale than their pressure pulse, and in addition, can automatically ramp up their pulse pressure.

Your article also mentions AVS and an NIV process.  Some insight into those terms would be helpful.  

With positive and auto-adjusting pressure that is capable of higher pressures today than before, it would be interesting to know the ventilator pressure level.  

Currently, the rate of infections and the limited ventilators and hospital beds, it would seem some pressure would be better than nothing until a ventilator and hospital bed access became available.

Can you add more details assuming more than half of us in the USA will likely need some additional breathing support?
The orginal ref to the PulmCrit Wee site was posted here a few hrs ago by  w6fxj Wrote:

-If any of what I have wrote is flat-out wrong, my sincere apologies, & please correct it! Elsewise, a good discussion of the pros & cons of home-user CPAP & BiPAP use as an emergency option based on our (current) minimal knowledge of effective treatment for the Cvirus is definitley welcome!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 573 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 493 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,777 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 883 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 905 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,885 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.