Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
RE: CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
Would attaching an oxygen concentrater to the machine make a difference?  

I know I had a friend in the hospital last year and they attached her CPAP to oxygen for her stay.  Does that make it more like a ventilator?
DO NOT DELIBERATELY BREATHE OZONE!

(sorry for the shouting, but this is an extremely dangerous idea)

Ozone destroys bacteria and fungi by disrupting their cell walls.  It will do the exact same thing to the cell walls of your respiratory tract.  At a high enough concentration, it will kill you.  At a lower concentration, it will still cause cell damage that will manifest as respiratory tract irritation and inflammation.  That's not something you should do when you are already sick. 

Ozone (O3) is only useful because it destroys a number of harmful chemicals and pathogens.  It then degrades fairly quickly to oxygen (O2), which means you don't have to clean it up.

Breathing ozone to kill a respiratory virus is like drinking bleach to kill a stomach virus.
(03-15-2020, 04:53 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: That may have been a typo... I think the product name is "LungFlute" or "Lung Flute".  Found nothing like that on Amazon, but did find some for sale on eBay for about $60 each.  However, they're shipped from India, and I'm pretty sure that ordering the product and actually receiving the product in a timely manner may be two different things altogether in this economic climate.  If I'm remembering correctly, India made a decision recently to halt shipment of all medical supplies out of the country for now;  not sure if that applies to eBay or not.

I decided to give it a try and amazingly I received a couple Lung Flutes from India; less than 2 weeks.  I'm not planning on having to use these, but I'll have them just in case, or if someone in our family needs one.  That is also part of all this, to looking out for the family.

John
FAQs from Resmed  ...  on XPAP and COVID 19

Most of which we already know, but what I found of interest is the 3rd question "if I have Covid19 can I spread it on invasive or non invasive ventilation?

You have to scroll down a bit to get to the FAQs.

https://www.resmed.com/en-us/covid-19/
Sleep-well
Hospitals already use some CPAPs, mostly BiPAPs for treating respiratory distress due to COPD, Pulmonary Edema from pneumonia, etc.  They seem to have a good supply of these.  The ventilators they need actually do the breathing for the patient - timed, volume controlled inhalation and exhalation at a specific rate for those too tired or sick to breath on their own reliably.
With the idea that using information on this forum as a last resort and to expand thinking...

I use a inversion table to aid in draining my lungs. Drugs and pressure to open the airway work most of the time.

I think of myself as "Rattling Along" as life goes on.

(03-24-2020, 11:58 AM)bonjour Wrote: Melman,
Question on So-Clean and other ozone-based 'sanitizers'.  In your oppinion,
Ignoring the potential damage to our devices and the introduction of ozone into our bedrooms,
and considering that this is in a situation where we must use our machines to treat ourselves because other (medical) resources are not available.
Will these machines provide any assistance in removing/killing live virus (Covid-19) in our systems?

My expertise is not virology but I strongly suspect a strong oxidizer like ozone will inactivate the virus. But bear in mind that per CDC  virtually any mild and safe sanitizing agent will also. If the virus is on the surfaces of CPAP components, however, it is already in the home environment and the user is almost certainly already infected. If by our systems, you mean infection in our lungs I would say no.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

I know nothing about CPAPs or Sleep Apnea. But, I heard from a person on twitter that a CPAP helped him get through some of the tough periods during his experience with Covid in Italy.
So, I started looking into CPAPs and ended up here.

I'm sharing the comment here. Maybe more personal experiences will help determine extent of CPAP usefulness in such circumstances:

https://twitter.com/richisalsohere/statu...6531526662

https://twitter.com/richisalsohere/statu...8196665344

[Moderator Note: Links repaired]
Thank you Jbourne. Our software does not allow links by new members. I repaired the links so the are live. Interesting and useful information.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(03-21-2020, 12:26 PM)mhehe Wrote: The tone of the conversation from the Apnea Board Administrators is appalling! You think you know everything! Please be RESPECTFUL of others.

With all the bs and game players we see her I agree with the Amins...they are correct on the post above...just my humblel 1/5 of a dime...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 551 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 489 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,776 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 903 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,884 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.