Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
RE: CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
Thoughts on xPAPs spreading the virus:

1. I doubt the King County health officials are any wiser than we are, when considering how a CPAP will broadcast a virus, and they're probably not as informed at the doctors using CPAPs in the hospitals.
2. Any use in a hospital is probably accompanied by use of local negative pressure, and/or a fine filter, plus protection for the staff.
3. We, too, are only considering using them in controlled conditions -- separate rooms with negative pressure, or whatever.
4. From the fact that somebody mentioned they need twice as much oxygen when fed to the CPAP, we can assume we're contaminating roughly twice as much air when using it, as when breathing unassisted.
5. In that extra air, there are still likely not many more virus particles, than without the CPAP.
6. Someone mentioned you might compare the CPAP exhaust to a sneeze or cough.

Conclusion: it's probably a bad idea to fit a sick patient with a CPAP in a nursing or retirement home, or in an ambulance, unless you have a way to deal with the exhaust. However we should be able to handle it, in our homes, if turned away from the hospitals.
WARNING

Even if you don't use that xPAP when sick with COVID-19, seriously consider negative pressure or a room HEPA filter:
https://sfist.com/2020/03/30/super-sprea...POp801RZmg
Gov Cuomo orders 2,750 BiPAP machines.

On slide during 3/31/2020 Update:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-31-2020, 11:36 AM)JohnAP Wrote: Gov Cuomo orders 2,750 BiPAP machines.

On slide during 3/31/2020 Update:

Nice catch John…! That is very encouraging information… Worse comes to worse… We have a effective tool in our homes.

My next curiosity is how they are deploying them and utilizing them… What are their procedures and protocol.

Thanks again
My worst night on CPAP is 10X better than my best night without it  Eat-popcorn 
Good night Chesty, wherever you are..Semper Fi
Quote:Plus, if the Acapella is sold on Amazon I would imagine it's made in China..? Maybe it's just me, but buying from the culprit just doesn't seem right.

Better stop taking your generic prescription meds too if that's what concerns you. Over 80% of them come from China. Same way for a lot of the household products we use.

Not sure where the Acapella devices are made. If it's China, I don't really care at this point. I was careful wearing gloves when opening the package, and disinfected the device with bleach water and wiped it down, took the mouthpiece off etc and cleaned it too. And it's sitting right now in a plastic bag. I figure by the time I'm ready to use it, any virus particles will be long gone.

Buying from the enemy? I don't really care at this point. If China is the only one producing them, I'm going to get one regardless. I'm going to buy up as much "ammo" to fight this virus as I can, and stack the deck in my favour if at all possible.

And I'm not exactly what you would call a supporter of the CCP, who I believe has blood on their hands.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

FWIW big news flash; most products made and bought in the USA, and most other countries for that matter, will have selections of products that are made or assembled within that country as well as ones imported from elsewhere.

An example on medications, and I have 2 that applies direct to myself: my COPD requires me to take 2 maintenance inhaler medications daily. One is made in Israel and the other is from Germany. No, neither is China, but I'm just saying that this happens all the time. Oh, and one of these two items is currently sold out and not available for who knows how long.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
I purchased a Acapella Vibratory Valve from Allegro Medical. The packaging says the manufacturer is
Smiths Medical ASD, Inc. and Made in USA. Which is a bit surprising as almost everything seems to come from China.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
I found the Aerobika here, on sale plus 30% off for pickup with taxes $71 CDN.

it looks like it retails regularly for $119 or $109.

Is it any better/worse than the Acepella.
Sleep-well
Maybe it's just cynical Dave, but can one of these simple plastic devices be better than another similar device?

Hmm, I can only rate this a 4 star, because it doesn't come in blue.

Below is a 2 minute youtube on the Aerobika like Cpapian mentions. It gives a brief demo on how these combat mucus.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
So ...... Canada is going to make their own ventilators.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau...-1.5516068
Sleep-well

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 489 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 508 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,776 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 882 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 903 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,884 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.