Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
RE: CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
(04-02-2020, 07:20 PM)Tubaman Wrote: A wild thought just occurred to me: Has anybody considered the use of LiOH (Lithium Hydroxide) for CO2 removal from the (CPAP) face masks sans PAP?  That was the chemical used in the original Apollo back-pack life support systems back in the mid-1960s.  The respiratory system in the back-pack had a LiOH canister that the astronaut's air was cycled through (scrubbed?) to remove the CO2 and then add O2 and reuse the air since there was no air available on the moon.

Just an 'off-the-wall' thought.  I think this thread is about 'brain-storming' -- no absurd ideas to be rejected or jeered (and this is probably absurd).  I worked on the Apollo back-pack project back in 1963 to 1966. I suspect the amount of LiOH required would be too much to be practical.  I have no idea about the availability of LiOH.

Carl

I think safety and disposal issues would kill the LiOH idea politically, even if it were practical to build. What about a canister of sodium hydroxide (Sofnolime) like they use in rebreathers? Draeger builds both ventilators and rebreathers so the engineering is proven. The equation is a function of mission time, durability, cost, recharge. -- steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
(04-01-2020, 07:54 PM)Tubaman Wrote: Mr. Stom:  My bad.  I guess if I had spent more time observing the anti-asphyxiation 'flapper' valve's action while breathing in and out with the mask on my face, I would have observed what you explained to me (with a hose and no PAP  I would o.d. on CO2).  You are definitely correct in your assessment of using a hose on the face mask.  I am now left with two options:

1) Use mask without valve and maybe a thin filter over the hole;

Hi,
The Eson 2 Nasal Mask from F&P (my mask) has a diffuser like this (attached part)

This have 3 major benefits:

1) It slows down air speed and decreases air noses. This is very comfortable for my wife.
2) It diffuses the air flow that do not go directly to my wife face when I'm on the side...
3) It retains particles much more than nothing.

This is a GREAT mask design (but not necessarily comfortable for all of us...)

Stay safe,
François-Joseph.
(04-03-2020, 02:52 AM)FJD Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 07:54 PM)Tubaman Wrote: Mr. Stom:  My bad.  I guess if I had spent more time observing the anti-asphyxiation 'flapper' valve's action while breathing in and out with the mask on my face, I would have observed what you explained to me (with a hose and no PAP  I would o.d. on CO2).  You are definitely correct in your assessment of using a hose on the face mask.  I am now left with two options:

1) Use mask without valve and maybe a thin filter over the hole;

Hi,
The Eson 2 Nasal Mask from F&P (my mask) has a diffuser like this (attached part)

This have 3 major benefits:

1) It slows down air speed and decreases air noses. This is very comfortable for my wife.
2) It diffuses the air flow that do not go directly to my wife face when I'm on the side...
3) It retains particles much more than nothing.

This is a GREAT mask design (but not necessarily comfortable for all of us...)

Stay safe,
François-Joseph.

Sorry attachment did not work a once.
Hello everybody

This is the concatenation of posts translated to french in Word attached file.

My doctor say using a Home CPAP is NOT the thing to do because the first intendeed thing to do is supply O² from hospital wall.
French Hospital is on the way to study Home CPAP to help whom do no need anymore intubation in hicare bed situation, but are not completely fine. This could reduce the duration of intubation and allow to trait more people in critical situation.

Best regards
François-Jsoeph.
FJD Wrote:My doctor say using a Home CPAP is NOT the thing to do because the first intendeed thing to do is supply O² from hospital wall.

Yes, that is the ideal situation. But when the hospitals are full and turning people away (like in Italy and Spain) then the option of supplying oxygen from a tap on the wall doesn't exist. We will have to use what we have at hand, and for most people reading this, what we have at hand is a CPAP machine.
A news release from ResMed in my email

Web Address https://newsroom.resmed.com/news-release...fault.aspx

Below is full text copy

ResMed Statement on DPA
04/02/2020
DOWNLOAD THIS PRESS RELEASEPDF FORMAT (OPENS IN NEW WINDOW)
SAN DIEGO, April 2, 2020 – ResMed (NYSE: RMD, ASX: RMD) has released the following statement regarding today’s White House Memorandum on Order Under the Defense Production Act Regarding the Purchase of Ventilators:

“ResMed is pleased to see the White House prioritize access to critical ventilator components, enabling not only ResMed but all industry-leading ventilator manufacturers to speed up both production and delivery of lifesaving devices to patients who need them most.

We encourage automakers, aerospace equipment producers, and other non-ventilation manufacturers to help us source or create more of these components and accessories for ventilators, strengthening the supply chain that all ventilator makers are drawing from to help meet this rising global demand and save lives.”

About ResMed
At ResMed (NYSE: RMD, ASX: RMD) we pioneer innovative solutions that treat and keep people out of the hospital, empowering them to live healthier, higher-quality lives. Our cloud-connected medical devices transform care for people with sleep apnea, COPD, and other chronic diseases. Our comprehensive out-of-hospital software platforms support the professionals and caregivers who help people stay healthy in the home or care setting of their choice. By enabling better care, we improve quality of life, reduce the impact of chronic disease, and lower costs for consumers and healthcare systems in more than 140 countries. To learn more, visit ResMed.com and follow @ResMed.

# # #

CONTACTS:

MEDIA: Jayme Rubenstein, +1 858.836.6798, news@resmed.com
INVESTORS: Amy Wakeham, +1858.836.5000, investorrelations@resmed.com
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
I pay close attention to two sites on youtube, MedCram and Dr. John Campbell who have posted numerous times each week, each day in Dr. John's case.

He talks about the use of CPAP near the 10 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXJ3KGcUopo
(04-03-2020, 09:29 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: “ResMed is pleased to see the White House prioritize access to critical ventilator components, enabling not only ResMed but all industry-leading ventilator manufacturers to speed up both production and delivery of lifesaving devices to patients who need them most.

We encourage automakers, aerospace equipment producers, and other non-ventilation manufacturers to help us source or create more of these components and accessories for ventilators, strengthening the supply chain that all ventilator makers are drawing from to help meet this rising global demand and save lives.”
I think I would have been more impressed if they followed Medtronic's lead and released their specifications ...

Quote:-  Medtronic plc (NYSE:MDT), the global leader in medical technology, today announced it is publicly sharing the design specifications for the Puritan Bennett™ 560 (PB 560) to enable participants across industries to evaluate options for rapid ventilator manufacturing to help doctors and patients dealing with COVID-19. This decision is consistent with the recent FDA Guidance and in accordance with the public health and medical response of governmental agencies globally.

Introduced in 2010, the PB 560 is sold in 35 countries around the world. This ventilator’s ability to be used in a range of care settings, as well as its technology and design, make it a solid ventilation solution for manufacturers, inventors, start-ups, and academic institutions seeking to quickly ramp up ventilator design and production. PB 560 product and service manuals, design requirement documents, manufacturing documents, and schematics are now available at Medtronic.com/openventilator. The PB 560 design specifications are available today, software code and other information will follow shortly.

The PB 560 ventilator is a compact, lightweight, and portable ventilator that provides airway support for both adults and children. It can be used in clinical settings and at home and provides mobile respiratory support.

“Medtronic recognizes the acute need for ventilators as life-saving devices in the management of COVID-19 infections. We know this global crisis needs a global response. Over the past few weeks, we have ramped up production of our Puritan Bennett™ 980 ventilators. But we also know we can do more, and we are,” said Bob White, executive vice president and president of the Minimally Invasive Therapies Group at Medtronic. “By openly sharing the PB 560 design information, we hope to increase global production of ventilator solutions for the fight against COVID-19.”

Ventilators play a critical role in the management of patients with severe respiratory illness, such as COVID-19, who require assistance because they cannot breathe effectively. By placing a patient on a ventilator, the patient’s lungs are permitted to rest and recover while the ventilator performs the functions of supplying oxygen and simulating the actions of breathing. Without ventilation support, some patients with severe respiratory disease might not survive. 

http://newsroom.medtronic.com/news-relea...accelerate 
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
That is a commendable way for Medtronics to step up, and thanks for pointing it out srlevine1.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(04-03-2020, 04:20 AM)FJD Wrote: Hello everybody

This is the concatenation of posts translated to french in Word attached file.

My doctor say using a Home CPAP is NOT the thing to do because the first intendeed thing to do is supply O² from hospital wall.
French Hospital is on the way to study Home CPAP to help whom do no need anymore intubation in hicare bed situation, but are not completely fine. This could reduce the duration of intubation and allow to trait more people in critical situation.

Best regards
François-Jsoeph.

Thanks FJD. Can you translate the short section named "Machine Type CPAP" from the WORD document? It includes practical recommendations on how to setup the machine. 
Thanks,
Arik

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 581 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 493 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 510 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,778 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 884 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 905 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,885 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.