Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
RE: CPAP use for Coronavirus mitigation & severe pneumonia
Is anyone ready to say, all this CPAP re purposing won't be needed? As we approach the peak in the U.S. no region or city has found it is short of critical supplies or ventilators. The press isn't reporting it yet, but the panic they caused might have moved us into a position where we will have a stockpile and better preparation for the next crisis. I know it's early to call this, but that's what I'm seeing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
I second.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Arizona had asked for 5000 ventilators but the governor said they cut the request to less than 500 and a good chunk of those would be going to the hospital they are reopening. The county I live in has about 1500 cases (+/-) and we are second on the list. The #1 county is the one with Phoenix. Have one county that has only 1 case - but then, no one really lives there either.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
(04-08-2020, 10:16 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Is anyone ready to say, all this CPAP re purposing won't be needed?  As we approach the peak in the U.S. no region or city has found it is short of critical supplies or ventilators.  The press isn't reporting it yet, but the panic they caused might have moved us into a position where we will have a stockpile and better preparation for the next crisis.   I know it's early to call this, but that's what I'm seeing.

Agreed that it's way too early to call this either way.  We really don't know that we're approaching the peak or not.  Many people are grasping for any good news to lift everyone's spirits, and even now I hear people looking at data for a 3-4 day period that makes it appear like the curve is flattening and everyone gets all encouraged by that apparent trend.  But as we all know 3-4 days of data does not a trend make.  Heck, even two week's worth of encouraging data does not prove anything, because the curve could simply pick up where it left off and skyrocket again.

Even if we do reach a peak, remember that with the 1918 Spanish Flu, it came in waves.  The first wave wasn't that bad, then it seemed to go away to a large degree.  Then the second wave came later on in the fall/winter, and that was the more virulent and deadly wave.

I think we need to proceed with preparing for possibilities, including home treatment should it become necessary.

This is not the time to let our guard down, IMHO.  We need to take advantage of the time we have to come up with potential solutions.

As I've heard others say, "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

This is not a "panicked" approach, but rather a prudent approach.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

(04-08-2020, 10:16 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Is anyone ready to say, all this CPAP re purposing won't be needed?  As we approach the peak in the U.S. no region or city has found it is short of critical supplies or ventilators.  The press isn't reporting it yet, but the panic they caused might have moved us into a position where we will have a stockpile and better preparation for the next crisis.   I know it's early to call this, but that's what I'm seeing.

In Minnesota, it's estimated 131 ventilators will be needed (446 worst case).  The state has 2,458, 1048 being used, and 888 on back order (https://mn.gov/covid19/data/response.jsp). A good site to see your states projected resources need is http://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america (use the drop down menu in the United States of America box).
Here is what can happen.

Hey all ya'all, we are over the top and on the downhill side of this thing.
Let's all meet in the pub and put down a few in celebration.
. . . 
. . .
. . .
What?  you have Covid?  I thought this was a done deal, that it was safe to see my friends.  
My aunt just died because with the new surge they ran out of ventilators at the hospital.

.. Really?  the same happened to my dad!

IMHO this is in danger of happening at any time until 
An effective treatment is in place that eliminates the need for a ventilator, and/or
An effective vaccine is widely given and has had time to develop the antibodies.
The new COVID-19 Forum is now open for viewing by all registered Apnea Board members.

Please read this thread for more info:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...m-now-open
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Here is my take...

We are still feeling the effects of the March surge before distancing and masks were really in place. Between now and the end of April will determine if the country re-opens for business June 1. I am optimistic that we will be able to get people back to work. It is not the number of cases, but the hospitalizations and the number of critical cases that will set the stage.

I read an interesting article a few weeks ago that has not been widely expressed and that is, the amount of exposure drives the severity of the infection. In addition to the vulnerable health conditions, how much of the virus that an individual is exposed to can determine, to some extent, the severity. It is obviously not an absolute.

Now that our country has gotten their heads out of their collective #@&es and realized that wearing masks, even thicker cotton, slows the spread, I think that will become the order of the day. It won't be the Govt that dictates it, but companies will mandate that employees must wear masks to work. It will be very simple, no mask, no work. The economy will not tolerate anyone refusing. It is just bigger than any individual.

The restaurant industry will need to re-invent itself as that is one are that will struggle to accommodate patrons while distancing them while they eat. Likewise sporting events and concerts will not recover for a couple of years.

That said, this will be back again this winter. I don't see it shutting down the country again. Distancing will continue for the foreseeable future, until a proven vaccine is developed and administered.

John
Here's a depressing article.  New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo recently estimated that only 20% of coronavirus patients placed on ventilators "will ever come off."  Dennis Carroll, who led the U.S. Agency for International Development's infectious disease unit for more than a decade, said perhaps one-third of COVID-19 patients on ventilators survive, but "if you were one of the one-third, I suspect you’d be very appreciative that that capability was available."  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/healt...950167001/
(04-08-2020, 06:39 PM)Dougo Wrote: Here's a depressing article.  New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo recently estimated that only 20% of coronavirus patients placed on ventilators "will ever come off."  Dennis Carroll, who led the U.S. Agency for International Development's infectious disease unit for more than a decade, said perhaps one-third of COVID-19 patients on ventilators survive, but "if you were one of the one-third, I suspect you’d be very appreciative that that capability was available."  http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/healt...950167001/

This is why I have a living will. No, I have no appreciation for a life sustained long-term by a ventilator.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 583 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  AHI of 10 but severe symptoms? gohoos1998 8 493 01-26-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Sad [CPAP] 33 Years Old with Severe Sleep Apnea (Oscar Chart) amfar33 4 510 12-19-2023, 12:34 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
Money [Diagnosis] Severe Sleep Apnea - Titration Test Completed Apnea45 42 2,779 12-09-2023, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Apnea45
  Can Mild OSA (AHI of 9) + Severe PLMD be Responsible for severe symptoms? gohoos1998 14 884 11-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  PSG - Mild OSA and Severe PLMD gohoos1998 10 905 09-28-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gohoos1998
  [Treatment] Need help with severe fatigue and brain fog - AirCurve 10 ASV (Help with settings) MUARS 20 1,885 08-15-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.