Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[COVID-19] Corona Virus [Your local reports]
RE: Corona Virus [Your local reports]
(04-11-2020, 02:42 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: The big factor we don't know is how many people have the virus and have not (and will not) be tested. In most cases testing is allocated only to people with active symptoms. Of those who do test positive only a small percentage require hospital admission, so it's reasonable to assume there is a large pool of infected people who don't actually get (very) sick and never present for testing. We can't know how big this pool is, but it's probably big enough to bring the real mortality rate down considerably.

The problem in Australia now will be complacency - people are thinking that we've got this beaten and will soon return to normal. However the WA state Premier Mark McGowan said the other day that current restrictions are likely to be in place at least six months and possibly longer. I have been pleasantly (if that's the right word) surprised at the way our leaders are tackling the crisis - putting their egos aside and participating in the national cabinet. One can only hope this continues into the future.

Here's a current snapshot of the situation i Australia: https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/...phic_6.pdf

http://joannenova.com.au/2020/04/finally...y-is-tiny/

Quote:Finally, Coronavirus random tests show only 1% infected: Herd Immunity is tiny

Herd Immunity is not realistic

For the first time we have true randomized testing –and it shows that Austria was officially picking up about a quarter of the real number of infections in the population. So when Austria was officially saying 7,000 were infected, the true number was 28,500. Finally, this puts a solid limit on the chance that asymptomatic rate of infection was high. There is no iceberg.
About 75% of cases were mild or truly asymptomatic (and thus not getting officially tested), but it was still only a small slice of the population — just one third of one percent.

Peter Beaumont, The Guardian

The co-founder of Sora, Christoph Hofinger, told a news conference: “Based on this study, we believe that 0.33% of the population in Austria was acutely infected in early April.” Given the margin of error, the figure was 95% likely to be between 0.12% and 0.76%.
99% of the population is still vulnerable

The Austrian chancellor estimates only 1% of the population had had the infection (presumably he is including an estimate of people who had already had the virus, cleared it, and tested negative).
The Austrian chancellor, Sebastian Kurz, who saw initial findings a few days ago, said on Monday that the rate of infection was around 1%. This disproved the idea of herd immunity, which requires widespread infection, as a viable policy option, he said.
Austria has sampled 1,554 people with help from a polling company from April 1 – 6. The nose and throat swabs they used will have found active infections, not past ones. But the peak of infections was March 26, so this will still have included some, perhaps many, of those people who were infected the week before. It depends on how long people shed virus for, and like everything with this virus, that’s not simple. Some people shed for a long time even weeks, but others don’t.
Ten times worse than the flu

Austria has officially recorded 6,941 cases in total of which 337 have died. So the mortality rate for diagnosed cases is 5% and likely to rise due to the lag of one to two weeks (and even longer) before deaths occur. So the mortality rate of all infections (including asymptomatic) is more like 1.2%, making this at least ten times deadlier than the flu.  (It may be worse if Austria was able to protect the 80+ and other vulnerable groups).

Hopefully new treatments will improve that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Yesterday, Saturday 4/18/2020, marks the day Maryland shoppers must wear a mask or not be allowed to shop. Today, 4/19, Pennsylvanians will be required to mask up in order to shop at grocery stores and pharmacies. Parts of the article make it seem like it's everywhere in PA, not just those shopping trips.

My questions are: why wait until now if it's this important? Secondly, where does this stop? My opinion, Gov. Wolf is going too far with this.

Part of a Q&A within the article link below:

"Is the order mandatory?

According to the Wolf administration, failure to comply with the requirements could lead to citations, fines or license suspensions."

https://www.pennlive.com/coronavirus/202...r-one.html
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your post raised some questions for me. Other than a bank robber, does everyone have a mask lying around? Since they are requiring a mask, do they furnish them if you don't have one?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead and OSCAR
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bank robbers, The Lone Ranger, and Marvel heroes have the masks I guess.

I've heard a few places will hand out a cheap mask, but I don't remember specifics on what businesses where masks are being issued. The article I referenced also said those with medical conditions that can't wear masks could do so. Oohhh kayy. Mask required but if you say you can't use one you're OK?!

Gov. He-who-cried-Wolf is really stretching his ordering us around IMO.

PS: I've got a condition that I can't wear the mandatory mask I'm thinking.
Dave

OSCAR
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
My wife has been very busy making face masks. She's an experienced seamstress and is quite good. 

She's made masks for all the family & friends. Her's has pleats and inside pockets so that you can add more filtering material if desired.

The one she made for me, is made of camouflage material. In the flower & plant aisle, I'm barely visible.  Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey where'd he go?
Dave

OSCAR
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Post Reply Post Reply
Ha, ha...........right here in front of you.  Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Did you go with a color scheme based on US Mil BDU like my own as was worn in PA Army National Guard circa 1987? Hopefully it's not fashion statement Barbie camo.
Dave

OSCAR
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2020, 07:22 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Bank robbers, The Lone Ranger, and Marvel heroes have the masks I guess.

I've heard a few places will hand out a cheap mask, but I don't remember specifics on what businesses where masks are being issued. The article I referenced also said those with medical conditions that can't wear masks could do so. Oohhh kayy. Mask required but if you say you can't use one you're OK?!

Gov. He-who-cried-Wolf is really stretching his ordering us around IMO.

PS: I've got a condition that I can't wear the mandatory mask I'm thinking.

There is an exemption to masks that if you have a medical condition that makes wearing a mask a problem, you do not have to comply.  I think you have that covered.  In my several shopping trips, I have varied from one glove to two gloves and and a mask.  I thinkn each of us needs to assess the risk of our surroundings and make good decisions.  Pennsylvania is about the 4th worst state for the virus, bt it is 76% concentrated in the Philidelphia/southeast quadrent of the state, and even there it is focused in nursing homes.

There is no risk-free return to normal opiton. The objective needs to be not overwhelming hospitals. If you need to protect yourself as a high ristk individual, then do that.  Here in PA, one has to wonder if Dr Rachael Levine really understnds risks for the rest of us.  This is who we are taking orders from?

[Image: rachellevinepressconference.jpg?cb=1585685138]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2020, 08:45 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Did you go with a color scheme based on US Mil BDU like my own as was worn in PA Army National Guard circa 1987? Hopefully it's not fashion statement Barbie camo.

It's the later style camo stuff. It's definitely not the Barbie camo stuff though.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The corona virus movies queue thread S.L. Ping Beauty 13 616 10-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
Grin Ok, it's time for some corona virus funnies... DeepBreathing 60 2,376 06-01-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Health] CORONAVIRUS & Sleep [Tracking the COVID-19, Wuhan Virus] SuperSleeper 8 1,173 02-17-2020, 08:10 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Microsoft halts distribution of Windows 10 update amid reports it deletes files Crimson Nape 28 2,258 11-15-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [News] Virus that 'makes humans more stupid' discovered ApneaNews 3 1,415 11-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Peter_C
  WARNING VIRUS IN APP DOWNLOAD [Admin: likely not a virus, just lousy programming] worthog 8 4,573 11-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Exclaimation Have you heeded the FBI's Warning? [NOTE FROM ADMIN: VIRUS ALERT JULY 9TH, 2012] PollCat 43 17,893 10-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Last Post: zonk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.