Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[COVID-19] Corona Virus [Your local reports]
RE: Corona Virus [Your local reports]
This AM in Franklin county PA, US has its first corona virus positive test.

My cardiac tests of chemical stress and echo were cancelled on next week's calendar by WellSpan's office.
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
103 new cases in PA in today's report, returns the trend-line of confirmed cases to the former exponential function of increases.  Yesterday's hint of leveling was just an outlier. Pennsylvania is now at 371 confirmed cases out of 3766 tests, and 2-deaths.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21239]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(Approximate) Cummulative and Incident COVID-19 Cases, Ohio, 03/21/2020

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21267]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
We're getting mixed messages from the state government. The Premier is saying we have to stay open for business, can't shut down the economy, while at the same time telling us to avoid personal contact etc.

Mark McGowan Wrote:We as a country need to continue to operate and work. If we do not, then there will be bedlam in our community.

...it is vital that Parliament continued to operate through the coronavirus crisis to lead by example

...We cannot have government departments shut down, we cannot have essential services stop operating, we cannot have our schools and hospitals stop operating. We cannot have everyone leave work in Western Australia.

Current regulations (which will probably be updated in the next day or two) still allow for gatherings of <100 people, but each patron has to be allowed 4 sqm of space. That makes it pretty impossible to run a pub or restaurant. Perth Observatory has shut down for the duration as we have telescopes in smallish domes that require people to be fairly closely spaced.

People are STILL panic buying and supermarket shelves are bare. This makes no sense at all - all our food is grown and processed locally. All our paper products are made in Australia. The big food companies are saying there are more than ample supplies of everything but the distribution system can't keep up with the demand. If people would be sensible - and develop a conscience - this problem would rapidly be behind us. There is no need to buy six months' worth of toilet paper!

There's a thin line between "stocking up" and hoarding, and far too many people have crossed that line. It's become a case of "blow you Jack, I'm OK". Well it's not OK.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I thought it was just the U.S. that has gone crazy.  

The problem is that folk are scared.  I think hoarding is just a result of that.  It's something that helps people feel like they are in control when they really are not.

Here is the U.S., we have health care professionals telling us one thing, and our President telling us the opposite.  Huh
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

OSCAR Chart Organization

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem is that the more politicians & leaders keep yelling "Stop panic buying!", the more people think "Man, people are buying up everything, I'd better get mine before they run out".

Then, they go to the store, and see people shoving TP and canned goods into their carts like mad, and it only makes them want to purchase even more TP & canned goods.  Crazy, but true.

It's a natural reaction.  People panic buy.  It's what they do, and it feeds on itself.

It's going to be that way for quite a while, I'm afraid.  Welcome to the new "normal".

Thing is, if people had taken time to actually slowly prepare over the course of several years, putting back several months worth of food & supplies on a regular basis, slowly, over time the way previous generations tended to do (who were more of a slow-paced agricultural society), this type of panic buying would not exist.  But for several years now, those "preppers" and "homestead" types who stocked several month's worth of food in their pantries were ridiculed as "nut-jobs" by the main stream press.   The result is that no one wanted to appear like a "nut job", so no one prepared with food & such slowly, over a long period of time, as preppers and homesteaders often do.

So, the unprepared who failed to take heed and prepare end up in a panic.

I think next time around, after we all come out of this, we're going to see more people moving to more of a "prepper" lifestyle.

Just an observation.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
Follow the Mormon example and store 1 year food and water supply.  I have seen families that do this.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
The challenge with the years supply of food is to constantly use the oldest and replenish it. But it means a boring diet of primarily non perishables so many don't rotate and the food goes bad. I'm hoping most those who feel the need to stockpile will finally ba satisfied or run out of money to keep up the panic buying. I'm a liitle more optimistic than SS, but who knows? I thought it would be over by this week but on Thursday we couldn't fin much at three different stores. Surprisingly, I was the only one with a mask and gloves. Got some funny looks bt it didn't bother me.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed Mel... that's where the phrase "store what you eat and eat what you store" comes in.  One has to simply provide a way to rotate stock (first in, first out inventory method) to make sure you're using up the older stuff first. A bit more work, but it's really not that hard.

To vary one's diet and supplement all that "boring" non-perishable food, people need to start gardening, and growing spices and herbs as well.  Even apartment dwellers can start gardening in pots, there's whole genre of that sort of thing on many YouTube channels.  Grow your own fresh fruit & vegetables as best you can.  With all the numerous YouTube channels regarding gardening methods, one can get a free education from a number of people around the world.  If you have an actual yard, so much more the better.  I remember hearing about one family that had a 1/10 acre lot, and ALL their food for one year came from plants, chickens & rabbits on their lot.  Some can't raise animals on city lots, but a lot more can do vegi gardens or plant dwarf fruit trees, or blackberries, strawberries, etc. to at least supplement their stored food.

In addition, I've seen people throw out perfectly good canned goods when they go a week past the expiration date.  That's insane, and a waste.

Most modern canned goods will last for years past the expiration date.  They do lose some degree of taste the more time passes, and the nutritional value diminishes to a small degree, but for the most part, unless the can is bulging or rusty, or you hear a "woosh" out of the can once you break the seal (indicating pressure due to bacteria that grew in the can) the contents are usually good for several years, at least for most products.

In tough times, people become more creative and resourceful.  I think we might be moving into those times.  Its no reason to despair or fret, but rather take up the challenge and learn as much as you can about these things.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

#apneaboard
Post Reply Post Reply
Reporter Dave of Greencastle/Mercersburg area in Franklin county, PA, US

Our congregation of the Church of God will not be having physical brick n mortar services, instead we will do virtual service via Zoom meeting software (with modified service scheduling).

Some, even uninformed/misinformed family, in our area believed we'd be arrested if on the streets despite going to "allowed" locations like getting food at grocery, etc.

HAPPY Sunday AB!
Dave

OSCAR
Standard OSCAR Chart Order
Mask Primer
Dealing With A DME
Soft Cervical Collar Wiki
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The corona virus movies queue thread S.L. Ping Beauty 13 608 10-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Homerec130
Grin Ok, it's time for some corona virus funnies... DeepBreathing 60 2,366 06-01-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Health] CORONAVIRUS & Sleep [Tracking the COVID-19, Wuhan Virus] SuperSleeper 8 1,170 02-17-2020, 08:10 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Microsoft halts distribution of Windows 10 update amid reports it deletes files Crimson Nape 28 2,255 11-15-2018, 11:41 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [News] Virus that 'makes humans more stupid' discovered ApneaNews 3 1,415 11-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Peter_C
  WARNING VIRUS IN APP DOWNLOAD [Admin: likely not a virus, just lousy programming] worthog 8 4,572 11-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Exclaimation Have you heeded the FBI's Warning? [NOTE FROM ADMIN: VIRUS ALERT JULY 9TH, 2012] PollCat 43 17,889 10-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Last Post: zonk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.