Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CP MASK and Gagging
CP MASK and Gagging
I have been On CP therapy for almost 4 years, with pressure settings at 8.0. last week I had two episodes that I woke up on my back and I started to gag from losing my breath can anyone shed some light why this happened ? Is it because I was on my back sleeping and saliva passed down to my lungs ? May be someone on the forum has had a similar experience like I had !
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CP MASK and Gagging
With nasal mask, you need keep mouth closed. If mouth open the air rush out of the mouth instead of keeping the airways open
Chinstrap helps keep mouth closed, if you cannot keep mouth closed ... switch to full face mask, full face mask allows to breathe through your nose or mouth without compromise

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I can see how it would have a gagging sensation. I've never experienced it, though, and I've got one heckuva bad gag reflex.

how do you know it was from lack of breath?

If you've been on 8 for 4 yrs, have they ever retested you? Do you have a data capable machine? Many of us need adjusting every three to four years or so, especially if any major change in weight, health, or sleeping conditions.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
No I have not been retested since my first Sleep Study which was 4 years ago and I have lost about 15 pounds since then !

(07-14-2013, 09:20 PM)zonk Wrote: With nasal mask, you need keep mouth closed. If mouth open the air rush out of the mouth instead of keeping the airways open
Chinstrap helps keep mouth closed, if you cannot keep mouth closed ... switch to full face mask, full face mask allows to breathe through your nose or mouth without compromise

Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure about M series or the machine you,re using if report any efficacy data such as AHI, leak, etc..

Different machines report leak rate differently, Phillips Resprooncis System One report total leak = intentional leak (mask vents leak rate) plus unintentional leak (mask/mouth leak)

ResMed S9 report unintentional leak
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,751 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,832 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Personal Experience On Nasal Mask Compared with Full Face Mask ramphil2019 19 4,528 04-07-2019, 12:01 AM
Last Post: ramphil2019

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.