Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] 1 month apap, now Flow Limits?
1 month apap, now Flow Limits?
Very happy with my progress along the path to getting a good nights sleep! 
Thanks to all that have helped.
Had my first zero AHI 10 days or so back. Promptly changed to EPR of 3 from 2.n Thought it would help with mouth breathing and dry mouth.
AHI started creeping up. Went back to EPR, and again rewarded with zero AHI.
Look forward to tracking everyday with sleepyhead. Interesting to see where the OA happens and how the pressure increases.
My concern is where there are no events, and the pressure just keeps gradually going up to almost max programmed limit.
Started to research flow limits chart and what it means. Yes I have used the search function, and google and other searches.
As with other things sleep related, there are differing opinions on what the causes may be, and what significance these may bring.[Image: huhsign.gif]
What is your experience?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 1 month apap, now Flow Limits?
Perhaps it was caused by you changing sleep positions, or entering a different sleep stage.

For me, I can see my different sleep stages on my charts.

Every night, every 90 minutes or so I see an increase in my desperation for about 30 minutes. With that there is an increase in flow limitation and an increase in pressure to address the increased limitation.

You can see it at 1:20, 3:00, 4:15, 5:40.

I'm not concerned about it, infact I like to see it on my charts. When I see the repetitive sleep stage breathing patterns and the corresponding increase in pressure, I know the device is giving me only and exactly the pressure I need and it's been a good night.

It's when I don't see the patterned respiration rate, and volatile breathing patterns, that I've had a restless sleep.

I can often look at my breathing patterns, and know if I'm sleeping, awake or in that cyclic stage (I believe is REM). I also see a lot of false positives of CAs and OAs when I'm awake. 

I was awake at 7:20, and likely awake at 6:15.

[attachment=9178]
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the information. This whole experience is like a winding journey back to health. More of a self driving thing!
Everyday is something new and interesting.
Post Reply Post Reply
A flow limitation is a restriction in flow but insufficient reduction to score an apnoea flag but it is used by the machine as a sign that it needs to raise pressure, it could be positional or whatever. Increased EPR can be used to reduced flow limitations so I suggest leaving the EPR at 3. Your machine cleared the flow limitation and then dropped the pressure
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 15 724 9 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Relationship between EPR and Flow Limitations earnerd 11 368 10 hours ago
Last Post: earnerd
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 74 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 296 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Is This Flow Limitation Cause for Concern? bertchintus 4 268 04-15-2024, 08:27 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 187 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,226 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.