Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] 10 years of cpap prior to a lobectomy of the upper left lobe due to asbestos exposure
Gross 
10 years of cpap prior to a lobectomy of the upper left lobe due to asbestos exposure
I was exposed to asbestos during  20 year in US Navy. I discover to what extent during a routine physical chest x-ray in 2002, I went on CPAP in 2007. A year ago after many CT scans over the years I had a lobectomy of the upper left lobe due to cancer. I am 81 years old and I truly believe CPAP has kept me alive. When I filed a claim with the VA they asked the names of ship mates, I gave the names of 17 who I served with on one ship in the boiler rooms and engine rooms all deceased, I received a 100% disability. I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with lung surgery or problems such as plural thickening, scarring and nodules. Are you coping?   
like CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 10 years of cpap prior to a lobectomy of the upper left lobe due to asbestos exposure
Welcome Apnea Board dwood. I am fortunate not to experience any symptoms of asbestos exposure, however I have had some significant exposures over the years from construction and as a manager and regulator for the EPA asbestos NESHAP (national emission standard for hazardous air pollutants) which placed me in several highly contaminated areas as a first responder. I am familiar with the pathology, symptoms and progression of asbestos related diseases.

Based on your profile you are using a Philips System One machine and I assume it is CPAP. I would like to invite you to post some Sleepyhead charts so we can look at how your therapy is working and if there is room for improvement. Your machine is already outdated and probably due for replacement. Your condition will qualify you for consideration of a bilevel (BiPAP/VPAP) machine which will provide separate inhale and exhale pressures. The lower pressure for exhale, as well as the ability to adjust the timing and sensitivity for respiratory trigger to inhale and cycle to exhale pressure can greatly improve your tidal volume and improve the symtoms you are experiencing. I can help you to understand these mechanisms and coach you to work with your medical team to improve your results and comfort if it seems appropriate.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 10 years of cpap prior to a lobectomy of the upper left lobe due to asbestos exposure
Sleeprider Thanks for informative response. I have been a member on and off for awhile, recently when I signed in it wouldn't acknowledge my pass word, I followed the instructions to reset it. The results indicate I'm a new member, my profile was existing but no longer accurate which I updated. At the 5 year point I was eligible for a new machine, I selected a APAP, didn't  like it and adjusted it to straight CPAP. I loved the machine, it felt like it was breathing for me. It would expand and contract my lung as I breathed for several month, I think it restored some elasticity to my lungs lost from the plural thickening and scaring. I had that machine long enough for the warranty to run out. It wouldn't write to the SD card, I damaged something when inserting it incorrectly. The insurance company requires that I have it read a my pulmonologist's office every 3 months in order to receive my CPAP supplies, a vender has my prescription, they contact me every time I'm eligible with a multiple choice selection of each item with the reason for replacement. They wanted almost as much to replace the circuit board as a new machine. I have a prescription on file with Supplier #1 so I bought my own, all the bells and whistles including Bluetooth. One feature I really like if you forget to insert your SD card for days it will update it automatically. 

I have some experience with asbestos which I don't think your aware of, in a later post I'll elaborate, I copied and pasted it from my word processor, I got a response I wasn't allowed to provide a link, as a new member I had to have 4 post. If this doesn't work I give up!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 183 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,020 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 681 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 543 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 293 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 348 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.