Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] 1st Night with CPAP Nightmare!!!!
Gross 
1st Night with CPAP Nightmare!!!!
Hi All!

For a little under a year now I have been back and forth to the doctors after my other half insisted that I go, she was concerned with the fact that I would stop breathing during the night and then gasp for breath. This along with waking up with headaches once or twice a month (like a hangover except without the fun evening beforehand) not to mention constant snoring.

I had explained to the doctor that I have also trouble with my hearing in that I have to pop my ears usually every few hours or my hearing really quietens down (after popping them it fine again for a few hours), enlarged tonsils and uvula.

He eventually gave a diagnosis of OSA, and I was told that I would need CPAP therapy. Doing some research of my own into OSA, the main complaint is usually that one would feel quite tired throughout the day, however in my case I feel fine in the day, I wouldn't say that i am particularly tired, i mean I have no trouble driving 500 miles to see family, then going out for an evening meal. My usual daily routine is get up at 6, get dressed and head to the gym for an hour or so before starting my day at work (as a software developer), I have no problem with concentration.

Anyway, to move the story on a little, I was given my CPAP machine yesterday (ResMed AirSense 10) and full face mask (I am a mouth breather) and had it all set up correctly. Last night was my first night with it and I can honestly say without any question that it was my worst night sleep I have EVER had! firstly it took me almost 4 hours to fall asleep (usually i'm out within 15 mins of getting into bed), when i did finally get to sleep, I got about 4 hours sleep and now (morning, typing this) I feel exhausted (i dont usually feel exhausted), fell at little bit sick, wolley headed and for the first time in a long time could not even bring myself to go to the gym for my usual morning workout.

I do not feel this is a positive step in my life, in fact quite the opposite.

Just for clarification:
I didnt not have problems with the air pressure, i was comfortable with that (got used to it quickly)
I did not have a problem when the air pressure increased
I did not have a problem with the fitment of the mask (no leaks)
I DID have an issue with the tube filling with water (but i wasnt asleep so it didnt wake me) I just turned down the humidity and increased the tube temp (water problem solved)

I am at a loss, surely this is not healthy? Surely I would be better not using it?

Can i please get your feedback, i dont know what to do!  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 1st Night with CPAP Nightmare!!!!
Sorry also forgot to mention that I also had a sleep study done at hospital overnight, before the final diagnosis was given. which showed 27 events per hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KirkF welcome aboard. I'm also uk, nhs and I have to say that your lucky to have the humidifier and climateline from your trust, must be agood area. The first thing is to not panic, this is about getting used to anew way of sleeping and it doesnt happen straight away for alot of people. The best thing to start with is to download SLEEYHEAD from the top tool bar and follow instructions on how to set up graph order and how to post to forum, ( should be easy for a tech guy) because some one will be along shortly who will be able to identify your main problems from the graphs and better advise you on what is a good starting point for a better treatment of your condition. What I would ask you to do is confirm your machine is an AUTOSET or not, this appears in the lower right corner on the front. If it is auto this doesn't mean its all set up and ready to rock, it means the pressures can be changed to better suit you and help the machine do its job better. This is just the start so try and stay positive, it will get better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2017, 06:16 AM)KirkF Wrote: Sorry also forgot to mention that I also had a sleep study done at hospital overnight, before the final diagnosis was given. which showed 27 events per hour.

to be fair thats not too bad, any apnea is bad but theres ALOT with really high numbers. There are different types of apnea and the info from the graphs will tell others what types your having and how many per hour. It will get less confusing as you go, just read up on the terms and what they mean and from sleepy head data you will start to see how things move along.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2017, 06:31 AM)leadslinger Wrote: Hi KirkF welcome aboard. I'm also uk, nhs and I have to say that your lucky to have the humidifier and climateline from your trust, must be agood area. The first thing is to not panic, this is about getting used to anew way of sleeping and it doesnt happen straight away for alot of people. The best thing to start with is to download SLEEYHEAD from the top tool bar and follow instructions on how to set up graph order and how to post to forum, ( should be easy for a tech guy) because some one will be along shortly who will be able to identify your main problems from the graphs and better advise you on what is a good starting point for a better treatment of your condition. What I would ask you to do is confirm your machine is an AUTOSET or not, this appears in the lower right corner on the front. If it is auto this doesn't mean its all set up and ready to rock, it means the pressures can be changed to better suit you and help the machine do its job better. This is just the start so try and stay positive, it will get better.

Thank you very much for your words of comfort, very much appreciated.
Yeah NHS is not bad down here in Eastbourne / Hastings to be honest, they did say that this is a really good model, I have 2 climate lines, humidifier attachment (removable)  and data connection, certainly looked better than some i googled before picking it up yesterday.

Yes it is an Autoset model (Label reads: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset) which also has the Vodafone connection and uploads its data in the morning so i can view on the myair resmed site.
I have looked into the Sleepyhead app and now have it installed, going to remove my card in a sec and import. 

I do hope it gets better, right now i feel awful, I havn't felt this bad in a long while, (something keeps niggling me that with my enlarged tonsils and uvula maybe surgury would be a better option)
Post Reply Post Reply
just first thoughts are that if your machine is set 4-20 then the 4 is too low a pressure for alot and could be causing some of your waking discomfort. Would be better in the 6-7 range for the lower pressure setting but until graphs have been looked at then this isnt to be done. Depending on the graphs the 20 will probably come down some to a more comfortable number. What I would say is that your sleep nurse will have control over the machine and will be checking to see your results so its best if you discuss changes with them at the start just to keep a good relationship open. You can change the settings your self but is some times prudent to make contact first.

dont forget to lock the sd card before transfering data!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
unfortunatly I have no experience when it comes to the surgerys available, I'm sure some one will be able to advise on this later. I'm only a month in myself and things are up and down, but each day I learn abit more and I know it will always be an ebb n flow kind of treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok i have my data now, I assume i use the screenshot function but what should i take a screenshot of? Each obstructive event (zoomed in)?

Again thank you for your help, god knows I need it right now! also tried to call them this morning to explain my first night, got voicemail, left a message no call back thus far.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, KirkF. Welcome

Getting used to using CPAP is a challenge. It takes a while to get used to sleeping with an alien strapped to your face. You just need to make the commitment to use the machine every time you lay down. Before you know it you won't be able to imagine sleeping without it. The health benefits of the treatment far out way the inconvenience of getting used to it. Your first night actually went pretty well. You had no issue with 3 out of 4 of the most common problems for new users and was able to solve the fourth quickly.

Your machine is set wide open. You would probably benefit from a pressure change. For now I would recommend you download SleepyHead at [url=https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]this link[/url] and install it. It will let you load the data from the sd card in your machine to review and, after you have four posts, to post on the forum for the members to look at to make suggestions on your treatment. We have some very knowledgeable members on the board.

Here is a list of some other useful links:
Hang in there. It does get easier.

Sleep well.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2017, 07:05 AM)KirkF Wrote: Ok i have my data now, I assume i use the screenshot function but what should i take a screenshot of? Each obstructive event (zoomed in)?

Again thank you for your help, god knows I need it right now! also tried to call them this morning to explain my first night, got voicemail, left a message no call back thus far.

You want to post screenshots zoomed all the way out. If the members need a closer look at a particular event they will ask you to zoom in on that event and post it. They want to look at trends first.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,129 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 874 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 400 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 349 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 431 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Night Guard use with CPAP brettski99 3 632 10-14-2023, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jstro84
  [Equipment] User interface nightmare - Resmed Airsense 10 edsela 4 620 09-15-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edsela

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.