Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] 1st Night with CPAP Nightmare!!!!
RE: 1st Night with CPAP Nightmare!!!!
(02-14-2017, 07:05 AM)KirkF Wrote: Ok i have my data now, I assume i use the screenshot function but what should i take a screenshot of? Each obstructive event (zoomed in)?

Again thank you for your help, god knows I need it right now! also tried to call them this morning to explain my first night, got voicemail, left a message no call back thus far.

if you have put the graphs in the required order ( seems the most relavant info ) then just put it on the DAILY page and sceen shot un zoomed for the minute, of the top 4 graphs. Think most want to see A, event flag B, flow rate C, pressure D, leak rate. these can be resized verticaly and horizontally to better fit the screen. Also the info on the left bar, you can colapse the calender by tapping the top calender line with just the date in. I think most people use IMGUR to post screen shots.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2017, 07:18 AM)pupcamper Wrote:
(02-14-2017, 07:05 AM)KirkF Wrote: Ok i have my data now, I assume i use the screenshot function but what should i take a screenshot of? Each obstructive event (zoomed in)?

Again thank you for your help, god knows I need it right now! also tried to call them this morning to explain my first night, got voicemail, left a message no call back thus far.

You want to post screenshots zoomed all the way out. If the members need a closer look at a particular event they will ask you to zoom in on that event and post it. They want to look at trends first.

Hey Thank you very much firstly for your words of encouragement along with leadslinger.

Ok I have taken a screenshot of last night with it zoomed all the way out.

I went to bed at 11pm but i would say that I actually lay down around 11:30 (brushing teeth, putting mask on etc) However I could not get to sleep until around 2:30am, so bear that in mind when looking at the charts. :-) 

You guys are so helpful here, thank you!
(screenshot attached)
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2017, 07:25 AM)leadslinger Wrote:

if you have put the graphs in the required order ( seems the most relavant info ) then just put it on the DAILY page and sceen shot un zoomed for the minute, of the top 4 graphs. Think most want to see A, event flag B, flow rate C, pressure D, leak rate. these can be resized verticaly and horizontally to better fit the screen. Also the info on the left bar, you can colapse the calender by tapping the top calender line with just the date in. I think most people use IMGUR to post screen shots.

Sorry only just seen this post, I do believe I have everything required (fingers crossed) please see my previous post for screenshot attachment.
Post Reply Post Reply
well to be fair that doesnt look hidious, your AHI is below 5 which is deemed good, your topping out pressure at 14.42 but most will look at the 95% number. What happens with the lower pressure number is that if too low the machines algaritham has alot of work to do to raise pressure upto 14 really quickly an can catch late or miss some apneas, but if raised to 6-7 ish (remember, no expert and someone will be along later ) then the machine is better equiped to catch and treat that apnea. You are experiencing CA 's ( central or clear apneas) as well but they may go away oover time with apap treatment but they could also be positional changes in bed. Most will cosentrait on the OS (obstructive apnea) first. Dont forget our rest of the world friends are on different time zones so may take some time for more replies.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your data looks pretty danged good for a first night. The AHI is well into the treated range of less than 5, leaks look good and you had good time on the machine.

I have a few suggestions on your screenshot.

First your charts need to be organized as follows:
  • Events Flags
  • Flow Rate
  • Pressure
  • Leak Rate
  • Snore
  • Flow Limit
Mask Pressure is not needed. You will need to resize the individual charts to be able to get all six in.

The screenshot you posted is zoomed in as indicated by the shading on the left portion of the charts. It needs to be zoomed all of the way out. Left clicking a chart will zoom in, right clicking will zoom out.

You need to go to the Appearance tab in the SleepyHead preferences and uncheck "Show event breakdown pie chart. This will give more room for other info.

Looking good so far.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Welcome to the board and to the hosehead world.

I am recent to this as well. I did not experience the problems you had but i think this is largely down to attitude. I am also in the UK and when i was diagnosed i was banned from driving until i could demonstrate it was under control (4-6 weeks fast tracked). I was therefore heavily motivated to ensure the treatment worked in order to get back driving - so i was actually looking forward to treatment. If you dont mind me observing, but some of your comments suggest that, regardless of the poor nights sleep, you are not convinced you needed the treatment. Your AHI score of 27 is considered in the moderate range (although at the top end). However, even in this range the events are having an effect on your long term health. I note from your gym attendance (well done you) that you are proactive about your health. Perhaps if you could change your thinking to see this as another positive step in health management and therefore a change in motivation might help you stick with the treatment and come to terms with it.

If this is all nonsense please ignore and take the advices of the many wonderful experts on this forum.

Good luck

Johnboy
Post Reply Post Reply
Kirk, looks okay for a first night, but you need to set the minimum CPAP pressure to 7.0. This will avoid the pressure fluctuations that are disruptive (whether you sense that or not), and should level things out for you. You can access that setting by pressing the control knob and home button at the same time, then enter the clinical settings. The minimum pressure setting is right near the top, and is currently 4. Your machine was delivered with default wide-open settings.

The reason I recommend a setting of 7.0 for your minimum is that this is actually your average pressure during the night. With EPR (exhale pressure relief) set at 4 this means your pressure will actually be 7.0/4.0. Since the minimum pressure the machine will deliver is 4.0, this means you will always get 3 cm of pressure support (the difference between inhale and exhale pressure). What is currently happening is your machine starts with a pressure of 4/4, then as the pressure increases, it becomes 5/4, 6/4, 7/4, 8/5, 9/6 etc. This change in pressure support is not very helpful, and with a minimum pressure of 7, you are going to start much closer to an effective therapy pressure. Your pressure actually reached 14/11, and starting at a higher minimum can prevent the machine from fluctuating so high. I would estimate the higher minimum pressure will take 2 or more cm off your maximum, so less fluctuation all around.

I think you'll find this more comfortable and effective. Good luck!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for all of your insights and thoughts, they have been really helpful in particular to Johnboy, I dont take that as nonsense, it made me realise i need to align my mental thoughts about cpap treatment to the same train of thought i have with my gym going and healthy eating (just felt so bad this morning that i wanted nothing to do with it!)

Thanks to leadslinger and Sleeprider it totally makes sense to raise the minimum pressure to avoid such a jump in pressure (that did wake me up a couple of times actually, so using Sleepriders instructions i shall change those settings for tonights sleep and see how it goes.

Thanks pupcamper for the suggetions with the layout, i shall get that setup for my next screenshots, cheers :-)

Again Thanks everyone for your help, heres to hoping night 2 goes better! Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
KirkF Wrote:
I do not feel this is a positive step in my life, in fact quite the opposite.

I am at a loss, surely this is not healthy? Surely I would be better not using it?

Can i please get your feedback, i dont know what to do!  Thanks
[/quote]

(02-14-2017, 07:49 AM)leadslinger Wrote: What happens with the lower pressure number is that if too low the machines algaritham has alot of work to do to raise pressure upto 14 really quickly an can catch late or miss some apneas, but if raised to 6-7 .......................the machine is better equiped to catch and treat that apnea.

(02-14-2017, 11:57 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Kirk, looks okay for a first night, but you need to set the minimum CPAP pressure to 7.0.  This will avoid the pressure fluctuations that are disruptive (whether you sense that or not), and should level things out for you.  
Good advice here from sleeprider and leadslinger.  like  Once you get the low end calibrated in much of the discomfort and awakenings will subside. Coffee It will take longer to find the sweat spot at the top.

I identify with your comments, I avoided the "mask for years" finally  gave in because I could not sleep on my back, I still sleep just fine on my side without the device. But I am glad I have it in my tool box when I need to sleep on my back.

It took me about six months to get over hating the "MONSTER" on my face. But after a year of therapy I am glad I learned to use the device. You won't know for sure what is doing for you unless you spend the time acclimating. I

It is worth the effort , don't surrender to the discomfort.

May the force be with you (cmh20)
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KirkF,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP can take some getting used to, but just stick with it, you have come to the right place for guidance.
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy, hang in there and don't give up, this will get better.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool [Diagnosis] Hello! Hola! New to CPAP, first night of SD card (Help Appreciated!) punkrockcholo 29 2,138 03-06-2024, 12:59 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 401 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 351 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 433 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Night Guard use with CPAP brettski99 3 635 10-14-2023, 09:52 AM
Last Post: jstro84
  [Equipment] User interface nightmare - Resmed Airsense 10 edsela 4 621 09-15-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edsela

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.