Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Doctors & APAP?
Doctors & APAP?
I've read that the Doctors don't like the auto? Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Doctors & APAP?
It depends on the doctor. When I had my sleep study, I was scheduled for a split study but i did not sleep long enough for a titration. My doctor offered me a choice of an auto-CPAP or scheduling a titration study. I chose the auto. When I went to my 3 month follow-up, my doctor told me that he prefers to prescribe auto-CPAP if the titrated pressure is over 10.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't do well at all in the titration study (or my first sleep study), didn't get much data, so my doc went straight to an auto rather than put me through that again. I guess I'm lucky.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2013, 12:57 PM)Up@2am Wrote: I've read that the Doctors don't like the auto? Any thoughts?
Auto machines make it much easier for an informed person to self titrate. Limiting repeat visits for those involved in their therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Auto PAPs are the norm* over here - Not much controversy about it.

*"Norm!"
"Afternoon everybody!"
"What would you say to a beer, Normie?"
"Daddy wuvs you."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Post Reply Post Reply
My doc prescribed an auto, no issues. He probably would have done so anyway but I'm not sure. I made sure to ask for it before the Rx was written.

It might depend on how you ask. If the doc senses that you want an auto just because you read somewhere that they're the "best" (and not even sure why) you're likely to get some eyerolls.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Up@2am,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
The first machine I got was a straight CPAP machine and I am sure glad that I was able to move into an S9autoSet.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The medical mafia types don't like auto CPAP because reduces their profit opportunities for repeat visits, adjustments, sleep tests, etc.

The dumb or lazy types don't want to go to the trouble to do APAP right, and CPAP is simpler, especially if you don't really care about finding the right pressure for the patient.

Some DMEs (CPAP salesmen) don't like APAP because it costs a little more and they are usually paid a fixed fee for any CPAP.

Some honest doctors don't know much about CPAP and may have even been steered wrong by the dishonest crowd. They think that APAP machines are simply set to "wide open" settings and run the full pressure range of 4-20 cmH2O. An auto CPAP should be set to a narrower pressure range for most patients, so it starts at something close to the right pressure for the patient.

If you set the minimum pressure too low, the patient may feel they're suffocating until the APAP adjusts upward. This can be avoided by raising the minimum pressure.

On a limited number of patients, the pressure will "run away" and get too high. Sometimes the patient actually needs the higher pressure, sometimes the machine is just "wrong." Either problem can be fixed by reducing the maximum pressure setting. Runaway pressure can make your apnea worse by causing central apnea. This scenario is fairly rare.

Some patients are bothered by the changes in pressure.

It may be more difficult to prevent mask leaks if the pressure changes much. You fit the mask when you put it on, but when you go to sleep, it may leak if the pressure increases.

There may be a small price increase for some patients, but I believe all patients should be given auto CPAP machines. All auto CPAP machines can be set to a narrow pressure range, or even manual CPAP if the medical professionals can't "tame" the auto CPAP.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,421 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,150 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 588 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.