Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] A little advice
RE: A little advice
The flow limitation chart confirms my suspicions and I really want to see you incorporate EPR into the therapy. All the comments by DeepBreathing are spot on.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for the response.  I will post updated graphs when the EPR is on full time in the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=6398][attachment=6399][attachment=6399][attachment=6400][attachment=6399]

Many thanks to the Forum members for the great advice.  At your suggestions, I have altered pressure to 16/20 with an EPR of 2 full time and appear to be getting good results.  The attached files show what is generally a typical night and although I feel OK, I would very much appreciate the experts of the forum commenting if they see room for improvement.  As stated earlier, my AHI in my sleep test in February was 81.  My concern is the Flow Limitation.  I'm not sure what I am looking at and if it is satisfactory or not.  Once again, many thanks for your help. (sorry about the duplicated charts)
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks pretty good by the AHI numbers, but you have some really odd things happening for a large block of the session from 03:00 to 06:00. In this period your respiration rate is variable between 12 and 33 BPM, flow limits are on the high side, and we see a generally shorter expiratory time and higher inspiratory time.  All of this is mainly seen in the lower tidal volume and higher resp rate during that time.  Do I have a clue why?  Nope!

I think you can take your EPR to 3 to try to deal with the flow limitation and hypopnea, and hopefully some of that respiratory weirdness will diminish.  So while your AHI looks great, I'm not so sure that you are comfortable until we address that loss of tidal volume and increase in resp rate.  If you have any idea what was going on from 3:00 to 6:00, I'd be interested. To me it looks like an increase in upper airway restriction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider for your expert response. 12 years ago I had successful open heart surgery but contracted pneumonia while in hospital.  I was given a gizmo called an incentive spirometer (I think) to exercise and increase my lung capacity.  When I was discharged from hospital I unfortunately abandoned my lung capacity exercises.  My better half who sleeps with me again now that I don't snore anymore, says that before CPAP therapy I was always a shallow breather when asleep, never seeming to fill my lungs.  Perhaps this may have something to do with the "respiratory weirdness" that appears on my Sleepyhead charts.  Perhaps I may have to drag the spirometer gizmo out and dust it off.  Tonight, at your suggestion, I will increase the EPR to 3, but overall I am happy with my results.  Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
You seem to be adequately ventilated with tidal volume at 500 mL. Not bad. The EPR can make inhaling seem easier because the inhale pressure is higher than exhale pressure. I don't think you need a bilevel, but this might make your sleep more comfortable and should help with the hypopnea which accounts for most of your events. No worries.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=6443][attachment=6444][attachment=6445]

Thank you Sleeprider and other forum advisors.  At your suggestions for some minor adjustments including setting my EPR to 3 full time, I have achieved my best ever result after nearly 4 months of CPAP therapy.  Had an extremely peaceful sleep with results showing it.  Early days, but I hope I can keep it up.  Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks good!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your addition of EPR improved most of the problems I pointed out before. There is only a brief period from midnight for about 1/2 hour where your resp rate increases and tidal volume decreases, and the degree of that is much lower. These are fantastic results, and in your case, this would only be possible with a bilevel machine or the Airsense 10 Autoset. With a Philips you would be plagued with intractable hypopnea, flow limitation and other events. I mention this because if you ever change machine, you NEED a machine with bilevel capability, even if that is limited to 3-cm of pressure support. Don't let anyone ever dispense something less.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the great advise Sleeprider. Last night was another good night with similar results.  My health insurance here in Australia gives me the choice of any machine and pays the first $600.  I shouldn’t be needing a new machine in the short term but will remember your advise. Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,806 1 hour ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 300 9 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 177 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 869 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 800 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.