Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ACPAP Waking me up at night.
ACPAP Waking me up at night.
Most nights I've having a issues that I'm removing the mask without waking up (or that I have no memory of removing the mask)

Currently I've only been on ACPAP for two weeks and I've only been data logging for about a week. my DME says it might be because of high my pressure is (5-20) but the main issue is that my F30i mask is drying out my mouth and nose (When I wakeup sometimes, I feel like my nose is on fire) I've tried cracking up the humidity without much luck.

Currently it takes around 3-4 hours for me to fall asleep with the mask on. even with a dark no distractions bedroom. as it is. I feel like I'm getting less sleep then I was before.

I have attached some of my OSCAR reports

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ACPAP Waking me up at night.
Welcome to Apnea Board,

Even though this is an auto CPAP, there's benefits in optimizing pressures for you. You've basically been given default of 5-20, default is far from optimized. OK the good is your AHI is in the treated but comfort can be worked on. EPR is at 3 so you've got that going.

Negatives, starting at 5 you barely get any EPR benefits. You have an incredibly long Ramp at 45 minutes which delays therapy for that long. Your OSCAR report tells us your EPAP had a median of 12.x so we already know 5 is wrong. And secondly again on EPR, to get the benefit of EPR 3, you'd need to start at least at 7. Your body is telling you it needs more air, mask removal tells us this.

Actions I'd take, Ramp Off, EPAP goes to say least 7 maybe more. Try other humidity settings. There's an auto and manual mode for it, and if you have a heated hose, there's that adjustment too. It's possible if there's airflow through your mouth, it'll get dry and humidity may make but little difference, but you could try turning it up and see if it helps. You need some time to get used to CPAP and the mask. Get comfortable with your new friend while sitting in a chair, reading the paper, a book, watching TV, something to do and just get used to it. This CPAP is your lifeline.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice, I will adjust the starting pressures and see if that helps, I have been working on changing settings for humidity to flat out maximums (max heat) without much luck. Currently I've been using my mask already for hours and hours awake, even in the feb 10th graph you can see when I fall asleep (about 2AM) at that point I had been wearing it for over a hour awake.

I'm going to set min to 7, and turn ramp off and see if that helps tonight, Ill post my data in the morning.

Also, I should note I'm using a F30i Mask (Full face mask) I was using a nasal pillow but that was /worse/ when it came to nose pain
Post Reply Post Reply
OK did you try manual mode for the humidifier? It'll put out more moisture than auto.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have, when I was using the nasal pillows, I had it maxed out (max heat in tube and water)  but still causing severe pain in my nose, so I got switched out to full face mask. I will say even with the auto modes, I'm using an entire water tank per night.

I've set my machine to 7-10, with 86F hose and level 8 humid and ill see how that works out tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would set min 7
Max 14
EPR 3

You have to have your pressures so you can get some sleep.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm thinking if you drop that max pressure down from 20 to 10 you're not going to be well treated. It looks like you actually need to keep max at 20 to ward off some events. It sometimes pegs the pressure chart so that's where I'm getting that bit of info.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry about that, I typo'd that value, I've set it to 7-20
Post Reply Post Reply
It's all ok. Typos happen. Just making sure you're set to succeed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, it was interesting to see all the people jump real quick to ensure I wasn't messing something up. I thank you all.

Here is last nights graph. I went to bed at 1700 and was asleep by 1715

The mask removal at 1945 I don't remember, I did wake up to my own snoring at 2230 and put it back on but removed it again in my sleep by the looks of it at 0040

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 11 157 15 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 295 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 263 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 193 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 310 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.