Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ACPAP Waking me up at night.
RE: ACPAP Waking me up at night.
JetBalsa, you've gotten a lot of great advice from other board members. One question: have you tried the nasal pillow mask again with revised humidity settings? And did you find the pillow mask more comfortable than the FFM in other respects?

For dry mouth, some people benefit from Xylimelts, which are small discs that stick to your gums or teeth and release a saliva-stimulating substance throughout the night.

To acclimate to the new experience, I would recommend setting the machine up outside your bedroom somewhere, during the day or evening, and doing something diverting, like reading or watching TV. You want to be in your bed for sleep or amorous encounters only. In fact, many sleep guidelines will say that if you haven't fallen asleep after around 20 minutes, you should get up and read quietly or listen to calming music until you're sleepy.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been looking at something, the last night wakeup I don't remember, my breathing rhythm is all wrong a few seconds before mask removal. I've attached a zoom'd in shot of the moment. it looks like something might be going wrong with my pattern and the machine is over responding to it and causing the issue maybe?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That irregular-looking breathing looks like awake breathing to me. I'd be curious to see a zoomed-in view of the breathing that comes before it, though. There's something about it that looks puzzling. If you feel like providing one, here's what would be useful.

Zoom in on a one-minute interval. But first resize the y-axis of your flow rate graph so that it goes from -56 to +56 or so, and add a dotted zero line. You'll see how to do both those things by right-clicking where the label is at the left end of the graph.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hows this

.Edit: Added another image scaled out a little

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is another where the rhythm goes all wonky just being settling down

Post Reply Post Reply
could be other things but the pattern in that last pic is uniform enough that you might want to rule out periodic limb movement.
Post Reply Post Reply
JetBalsa, I've asked Sleeprider to swing by and take a look at those zoomed in flow rates so he can interpret them.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's pretty unusual, but looking through this thread, I suspect that may be a lip getting out of the mask and oral "puffing" or exhale. I also see some odd flow limit on inspiration which may be helped with EPR increased to 3. I can only speculate, and advise looks pretty solid in this thread.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Sleeprider. JetBalsa, your chart for 2/13 showed some large leaks. Do you think maybe you have a lip getting outside your mask?

I'm looking at your chart for 2/13. Was the first segment a nap, perhaps? It looks as though you still had your minimum at 5 there. The second two segments with the minimum at 7 are helpful to see.

Your pressure is being driven up by flow limitations and snores, and both are somewhat clustered. (The same is true on an earlier chart.) Do you sleep on your back part of the time? Do you use a high pillow, or several pillows? Do you think maybe you tuck your chin down toward your chest? If yes to any of these questions, I'd recommend trying to sleep on your sides using a fairly flat, firm pillow. I'd also recommend getting a soft cervical collar to see whether you can tolerate it. More information here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

For now, you are really looking for greater comfort and better sleep with the mask and machine. In addition to the advice above, which will help you acclimate, I would suggest that you try capping your maximum. it is possible that the pressure swings, which are considerable, are troubling your sleep. You might try capping the pressure at 10 to see what happens.

Please keep us posted.
Post Reply Post Reply
The section of your breathing below isn't normal expiration.  It is possibly indicating  palatal prolapse.  Palatal prolapse  There are sharp, narrow negative spikes, followed by longer flat sections.  Normal exhalation looks different.  You do have sections of more normal exhalation that precede this section and follow it.  You might be going in and out of prolapse with some sort of recovery breathing between.  I have seen similar behavior in some of my data.

For myself, I find more of this expiry issue when my full face mask is too tight.  If I slightly relax the lower straps, (by a little bit) the prolapse tends to go away.  It's a balance between prolapse and leaks.  In my case, if the lower straps are too tight it pushes my lower jaw backwards slightly.  This tends to further close off my airway.

Try very slightly relaxing the lower straps.  It only takes a tiny relaxation of the straps to make a big difference.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 10 151 1 hour ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 294 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 160 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 263 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 193 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 310 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.