Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] AHI Creeping Up
AHI Creeping Up
My AHI is creeping up.  I recently changed my pressure settings from 5 to 7, and am now averaging an AHI of 20.  I'm not that familiar with the RESMED Elite machine, and the proper settings, but I will forward my sleepyhead user statistics and perhaps someone could give me some advice.  I am using a full face mask.  Any ideas on improving my AHI.  It was decent last year, but over the last three months has increased a lot.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Creeping Up
I tried to post my sleepyhead data, but it wouldn't allow me because of space limitations on the file.  I was going to post a screenshot of the overview page.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your post count must be over 4 to be able to post any images. In the meantime, here are 3 helpful sites for you:

Beginner's Guide o SleepyHead

Organize Your SleepyHead Charts

Using imgur to post your Charts
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
cadogan's charts:
[Image: FlzNGVc.png]

[Image: KUu7Lah.png]
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just noticed that you're only showing large leaks and hypopneas.  Look in the lower left corner of the Daily graphs and make sure all event flags are green. Also your ramp seems to be set to start you a 4cm. Most people feel starved for air at this setting and need to increase it to around 7cm to feel normal.

Did you start a new medication or indulge in alcohol prior to bedtime?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Note: the answer may not be increasing the pressure. Too much pressure may be worse - it was for me.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cadogan,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You are currently using a fixed CPAP pressure of 7 with EPR at 1. you are experiencing abundant obstructive apnea. I completely disagree with Beej on this one, and recommend you start self-titrating by increasing pressure in 1 cm increments until AHI is consistently less than 4. In addition, the clustering of your events suggests that there is a sleep position element to your problem. You may find considerable relief by preventing your chin from tucking towards your chest by using either a soft cervical collar, or some kind of pillow that avoids your chin dropping down. Back sleeping (supine), can also contribute to obstructive apnea, however, it's usually best to find a pressure that is more effective than what you are currently experiencing before resorting to other methods. The fact that mask leaks correlate to the apnea clusters suggests to me, your head is tipping onto your shoulder or chest, dislodging the mask and closing your airway. I think this may the biggest contributor to your problem.

Your pressure at 7.0 is quite low. You used 8 cm pressure back in April with the result of 2.67 AHI. It looks like you have not tried higher pressures. Increasing pressure should be a simple choice, and I would not hesitate to continue increasing pressure until your reach 12 cm. If you don't see considerable relief by that pressure, we should revisit this recommendation. You should see a steady improvement as pressure increases, and I think realistically you may end up at around 10 cm. If you have the results of your sleep study, or a study that set your CPAP pressure, it will help if you share that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much.  I will start self titrating, and see.  Also, may go out and buy a cervical collar and see if that helps.  What is EPR...you say it is set at 1.  Should I revisit that also?
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR (Expiratory Relief Pressue) This drops the pressure in your case by 1cm when you exhale.

You may need it as your start to raise your minimum pressure, just to feel more comfy and be able to breath out against the pressure. I would leave it alone for now. If you start to see more Clear Airways as you raise pressure then you should turn it off.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] AHI is creeping back up after addressing flow limitations Andeee 4 388 01-25-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Pressure creeping up test49 1 414 10-26-2022, 03:30 AM
Last Post: multicast
  My AHI's have been creeping up. Big Guy 7 1,369 02-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
Surprised [Treatment] Clear Airway Episodes Creeping Up Sheepish 13 3,322 03-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Ron AKA
  AHI creeping up lately mattmill 1 1,165 09-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Big leaks creeping in ppca 7 1,781 05-18-2017, 12:10 AM
Last Post: ppca
  AHI creeping up TyroneShoes 14 4,194 09-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.