Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] AHI Creeping Up
RE: AHI Creeping Up
I had graphs similar to yours , in that my events were in clusters. it appears that my issue was positional because I was able to drop my AHI from ranges of 5 to 15 to 0.0 to 0.19 in one night by controlling my head position using a buckwheat chaff pillow and sleeping on my side. (Which I couldn't do for long without the new pillow to support my neck). The decrease in AHI was immediate when I started using the new pillow. The value of this change was somewhat verified last night because in the middle of the night I woke briefly to find I was on my back and had slid down so that the raised portion of the pillow that was supposed to be supporting my neck was under my head tilting it up. I decided to stay in that position as an experiment to see how it effected my data. A couple of hours later I shifted back to my side.

During the time I was on my back I had a cluster of RERAs and OAs but only one RERA while I was on my side. Also I had numerous flow limit spikes to 1 while on my back with my head raised, probably due to chin tuck. So I'm all the more convinced that positioning is critical.

I'm not saying the buckwheat chaff pillow is the answer for you. I find it quite comfortable, others may not. If your interested google buckwheat chaff pillow and you'll find a lot of info. I got mine from Amazon for $49.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2017, 10:53 AM)Melman Wrote: I had graphs similar to yours , in that my events were in clusters. it appears that my issue was positional because I was able to drop my AHI from ranges of 5 to 15 to 0.0 to 0.19 in one night by controlling my head position using a buckwheat chaff pillow and sleeping on my side. (Which I couldn't do for long without the new pillow to support my neck). The decrease in AHI was immediate when I started using the new pillow. The value of this change was somewhat verified last night because in the middle of the night I woke briefly to find I was on my back and had slid down so that the raised portion of the pillow that was supposed to be supporting my neck was under my head tilting it up. I decided to stay in that position as an experiment to see how it effected my data. A couple of hours later I shifted back to my side.

During the time I was on my back I had a cluster of RERAs and OAs but only one RERA while I was on my side. Also I had numerous flow limit spikes to 1 while on my back with my head raised, probably due to chin tuck. So I'm all the more convinced that positioning is critical.

I'm not saying the buckwheat chaff pillow is the answer for you. I find it quite comfortable, others may not. If your interested google buckwheat chaff pillow and you'll find a lot of info. I got mine from Amazon for $49.

Hi Melman!  Glad to see you contribute in this thread.  The original poster's problem looks a LOT like what you went through.  In your case, changing to APAP which gave higher pressure as needed, and avoiding the chin tuck, worked some magic.  Thanks!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just want to say thank you to all the amazing people on this forum...So the advice was basically, 1) increase pressure by 1 cm from 7 to 8, 2) wear a cervical collar to stop chin tucking, and 3) sleep on my side.

Here are the results: 23 AHI before change, 10 AHI first night and 3.54 AHI last night. So happy. I have also bought a buckwheat chaff pillow which arrives next week.

You guys are great, and now I can work on getting it even lower than 3.54.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also disable EPR, as I had worse results with EPR than without.
Post Reply Post Reply
Things are moving the right direction for you, and glad to hear the feedback. I'd avoid further changes other than the pillow until things stabilize.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
AHI Progress
Its been an interesting month.  I returned from Aspen last month, and discovered my AHI was sky high, 15 to 20.  I attributed it to the high altitude, and thought it would readjust.  It didn't. 

I then went on this Board, and picked up lots of good suggestions.  Increasing my pressure from 7 to 8, using a collar to hold my chin in place, using a buckwheat pillow, sleeping on my side, etc.  The first night was great.  My AHI decreased to 3.5, but then it bounced up again.  My AHI averaged 15.5.  (CA: 7.3, OB: 14, HY: 3.5).  Last night I turned off the Exhalation setting.  The results were amazing.  My AHI: 1.4 (lowest ever), with the components (CA: .4, OB: .5, and HY: .5).

One night is just one night, and these numbers have been bouncing all over the place.  But this is encouraging.  Hopefully this will be the new normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI Progress
Yes, turning off EPR with hi AHI readings seems to help decrease the CA's.
Give it some time to settle down, and let us know of your progress.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not meant to discourage you in any way, but some of us have AHI numbers that vary a bit from time to time. My AHI numbers are anywhere from .5 to 1.5 which at times does discourage me. I figure it is just part of the game we play with sleep apnea every night. Good Luck to you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2017, 09:38 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: Not meant to discourage you in any way, but some of us have AHI numbers that vary a bit from time to time.  My AHI numbers are anywhere from .5 to 1.5 which at times does discourage me.  I figure it is just part of the game we play with sleep apnea every night.  Good Luck to you.

GrammaBear, nothing to worry about there.  I am usually below 1 but had an uncharacteristic 1.8 the night before last.  It's nothing, and many members rarely see less than 2. 

Cardogan, EPR seems to have a very individual response.  Some people easily tolerate a full 3 cm, and others need to turn it off. In fact I think a significant amount of the problems we see on the forum derive from using EPR or Flex instead of a more constant pressure, especially at lower pressure requirements.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
ahi variability
Hi.  I am experiencing a fair amount of AHI variability, especially with CA.  Some nights great, others 10.  Thoughts?  Here is last night's  chart

http://imgur.com/bND7QfL
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] AHI is creeping back up after addressing flow limitations Andeee 4 388 01-25-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Pressure creeping up test49 1 414 10-26-2022, 03:30 AM
Last Post: multicast
  My AHI's have been creeping up. Big Guy 7 1,371 02-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
Surprised [Treatment] Clear Airway Episodes Creeping Up Sheepish 13 3,323 03-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Ron AKA
  AHI creeping up lately mattmill 1 1,165 09-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Big leaks creeping in ppca 7 1,781 05-18-2017, 12:10 AM
Last Post: ppca
  AHI creeping up TyroneShoes 14 4,194 09-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.