Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] AHI Creeping Up
RE: AHI Creeping Up
(03-02-2017, 07:10 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have no idea ...r why you alternately stuff up your nose on one side or the other. 

This is actually normal and it's known as the "Nasal cycle".  Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_cycle
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2017, 07:54 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:
(03-02-2017, 07:10 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I have no idea ...r why you alternately stuff up your nose on one side or the other. 

This is actually normal and it's known as the "Nasal cycle".  Wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_cycle

Quit making it easy for the lil' white dog.   Thanks
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ok..here is the latest from the little white dog...lol

I used the nasal pillows last night.  As I mentioned, I have trouble with the nasal pillows.  They airflow into my nose can be irritating, and the pillows don't align well into my nostrils.

I tried to adjust the temperature, thinking the humidity might help.  I raised it to 81 degrees.

I used the pillows for four hours or so.  This morning, the results showed I had a large leak all night.  Here are the results.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  The good news is that AHI is 3.6 which for me is good.

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/5s5gC
Post Reply Post Reply
Your ability to tolerate a leak is pretty amazing. Which nasal pillows mask is this, and what size?

Thanks for playing...fetch.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed AirFit ™ P10 Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear

Is there a better one do you think?  I think with my deviated septum, one nostril is bigger than the other.  Is there a really great pillow that fits easily and tightly into the nostril?  If so, I'm all ears...or nose...
Post Reply Post Reply
With the P10 the larger pillow is usually better. If you're using the medium, try the large.  Otherwise, I agree it's an awesome mask for most of us.  Your chart does look like the leak source is through the mouth.  It's a high leak rate, but just over the large leak threshold.  Have you ever considered starting ramp at 6?

[Image: vg0zEKb.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
When you say try ramping it at 6, what does that mean. And why might that make a difference. Thanks...!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Currently your ramp settings use a starting pressure of 4.0. You can change the starting pressure, and ramp time in settings. My suggestion is a starting pressure of 6 may be more comfortable, and help you establish a better mask fit. Eventually you will probably not use ramp at all, but a very low starting pressure is not something most of us enjoy, and you will often see some large volume breaths taken during ramp (see your graph flow rate) until pressure reaches a comfortable rate that supports our needs.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Sleeprider.  Based on my own experiences with the P10.  I was fitted with a medium but switched myself to a Large size nose piece with much better comfort and results all around.

I also learned after a few weeks to change my start pressure to a higher number so that I didn't feel starved for air at all.  After a couple weeks I turned off the ramp setting as well.  Still experimenting with that.

I do have a question though.  Not meaning to hijack the thread but this may be of some use to Cadogan also.  Should we set our start pressure to a number very close to what our average pressure was during the night on our auto cpap machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2017, 11:19 AM)Marillion Wrote: I do have a question though.  Not meaning to hijack the thread but this may be of some use to Cadogan also.  Should we set our start pressure to a number very close to what our average pressure was during the night on our auto cpap machine?

In your case, because you use an auto machine (this won't help Cadogan because he uses a straight pressure cpap)....I usually recommend setting the minimum pressure 2cm below the 90% pressure reading and 2cm above.

Often times, if you look #SleepyHead stats., the med. will be fairly close to the 90% number.  
What you don't want is your minimum pressure to be so far from your 90% pressure as to make the machine work harder to reach the pressure needed.

FYI....the 90% pressure does not mean you were at that pressure for 90% of the night.  It means that you were at and "below" that pressure for 90% of the time.  Note the "and below".
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] AHI is creeping back up after addressing flow limitations Andeee 4 388 01-25-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Pressure creeping up test49 1 414 10-26-2022, 03:30 AM
Last Post: multicast
  My AHI's have been creeping up. Big Guy 7 1,371 02-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Big Guy
Surprised [Treatment] Clear Airway Episodes Creeping Up Sheepish 13 3,323 03-27-2018, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Ron AKA
  AHI creeping up lately mattmill 1 1,165 09-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Big leaks creeping in ppca 7 1,781 05-18-2017, 12:10 AM
Last Post: ppca
  AHI creeping up TyroneShoes 14 4,194 09-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Last Post: GrammaBear

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.