Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] AHI increases significantly in last 1-2 hrs of sleep
AHI increases significantly in last 1-2 hrs of sleep
Hi Guys,

Still struggling with finding the right settings Sad

I have been dealing with a situation recently - my apnea stays in control for most of the night but then increases to a significantly high level 1-2 hours before waking up. This makes me feel horribly tired in the morning.

I have attached a couple examples here and would love to hear your views and recommendations.

Thank you.

Pranav
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI increases significantly in last 1-2 hrs of sleep
ppk8, you seem to have some complex apnea here, and your therapy runs pretty well until pressures rise. You are using a pressure range of 11-20, and as soon as the pressure increases, your event also increase. I think I'd like you to try a pressure range of 8-11, or perhaps fixed pressure at 11.0 and see if this can clear up the problem a bit.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm also wondering about if you tried a cervical collar to keep the neck straight, I found (and many others) that it helps in reducing the number of obstructive events.  If it does help, then you may be able to lower your pressure which may help to lower the number of central apnea events....all the air blowing from CPAP blows lowers your carbon dioxide level and the body compensates by reducing the respiratory rate.  It takes awhile for the body to get acclimated to the CPAP carbon dioxide blow off effect.
Post Reply Post Reply
hi sleep rider,

Thank you for your quick reply and indeed it makes sense! Which of the two would recommend i try first? a fixed pressure of 11 or within the range of 8-11?

thanks
pranav
Post Reply Post Reply
It's impossible to predict which option will work best. In keeping with the best traditions of trial and error, give the variable pressure of 8-11 a try first, then if you see continued CA, H and OA during pressure changes, a fixed pressure is the next trial.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi All - i tried the fixed cpap at range of 11 and still had few events, with clusters of OAs, please see attached.

Do you recommend I rather try the 8-11 APAP range then?

or is 11 simply too high for fixed pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
I think lower pressure is needed. Higher pressure is apparently not your friend. OA is pretty low, and I think your pressure may end up at 8 or 9 cm as being where this settles out. What setting rate of CFlex + are you using?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I was going to suggest Fixed 9 with no Flex,  I see SR and I are heading in the same direction.

Lowering pressure to relieve the CA events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys - my C Flex is set at x1. I feel it helps in case of higher pressures such as yesterday at 11.

Would you suggest to try fixed pressure at 9 tonight? And keep flex on or off?
Post Reply Post Reply
We frequently see that individuals with predominately CA events do better with a fixed pressure and minimal to no flex.

Try with flex, then you can try without flex in a couple nights.  

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Machine Increases Pressure Without Input JeffNC 7 391 01-30-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 830 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 677 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.