Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP AND SINUS
CPAP AND SINUS
The past year my sinus's have been playing up constantly. The latest one has been the worst ever, so much so that I think my head is going to burst. Constant headaches - the Dr is certain it is sinus and has given me my usual dose of antibiotics which aren't helping. Then all of a sudden a lightbulb went on in my head just now and realised that I have only been having the problems since cpap. Does anyone else suffer with sinus problems and how have you fixed it?

ALL HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED COZ AM SOOOOOOOOOO over the constant pain.

ps....my humidifier is on the lowest level as it is so can't turn it down any lower, perhaps I should turn it up a notch?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP AND SINUS
(11-30-2012, 07:06 PM)weeble Wrote: The past year my sinus's have been playing up constantly. The latest one has been the worst ever, so much so that I think my head is going to burst. Constant headaches - the Dr is certain it is sinus and has given me my usual dose of antibiotics which aren't helping. Then all of a sudden a lightbulb went on in my head just now and realised that I have only been having the problems since cpap. Does anyone else suffer with sinus problems and how have you fixed it?
ps....my humidifier is on the lowest level as it is so can't turn it down any lower, perhaps I should turn it up a notch?

I'd be more inclined to blame the mask than the humidifier, but it doesn't cost anything to change the humidifier setting, so give it a shot.

Do bear in mind that you want to be as scientific as possible here. That means make just one change and wait a couple weeks before making other changes, including different masks, etc. The reason is because if you make two or more changes at the same time and you get a different result, you don't know which change caused the new result.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2012, 08:27 PM)JJJ Wrote:
(11-30-2012, 07:06 PM)weeble Wrote: The past year my sinus's have been playing up constantly. The latest one has been the worst ever, so much so that I think my head is going to burst. Constant headaches - the Dr is certain it is sinus and has given me my usual dose of antibiotics which aren't helping. Then all of a sudden a lightbulb went on in my head just now and realised that I have only been having the problems since cpap. Does anyone else suffer with sinus problems and how have you fixed it?

I'd be more inclined to blame the mask than the humidifier, but it doesn't cost anything to change the humidifier setting, so give it a shot.

Do bear in mind that you want to be as scientific as possible here. That means make just one change and wait a couple weeks before making other changes, including different masks, etc. The reason is because if you make two or more changes at the same time and you get a different result, you don't know which change caused the new result.

Had different masks - and still suffered so am pretty certain it isn't the mask.....will play around with the humidifier and see!! Had read that while suffering with colds and sinus one shouldn't use the cpap...not sure that i want to try that!!
Post Reply Post Reply

ALL HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED COZ AM SOOOOOOOOOO over the constant pain.

I figured-out a long time ago that the more moisture - the better for me, I tried going without the humidifier on my previous S8 AutoSet II because of rainout... My sinus problems always got worse from the dryness of CPAP year-round and I was getting a lot of sinus infections from the dryness as well so I put-up with some rainout.

My new S9 with ClimateLine hose has now eliminated all rainout and I run it on manual at 5.5 and 72 degrees, that's what works for me and the relative humidity here goes from 99% to 25%... I'm using about 3 1/2 gallons of distilled water a month but it's so worth it to me because of how vastly improved my sinuses have been while using it.

I'm also using the HypoAllergenic filter since I have allergy problems (since I was a child) and a CPAP is basically concentrating whatever allergin's are in the air and forcing it into your mask.

I love the NeilMed squeeze-bottle saline rinse but only if I'm clear enough to use it, if I'm clogged-up and try it it will pressurize my ear with fluid causing an equilibrium imbalance and lots of stumbling around.

I've learned to stay away from Afrin type nasal sprays because of the rebound effect - especially while laying down trying to sleep, it always works to open-up my sinuses but even the 12-hour stuff only seems to work for 2 hours and then I'm worse than I was before using it.

Sudafed (pseudoephdrine), my mainstay drug for 40+ years is also one I read something about being helpful for OSA just recently and I always keep it in stock, I like the 12-Hour time-release version for the evening since it doesn't keep me awake like the standard (red pills) does but some people are still too sensitive to it to be able to fall asleep, if you have heart or BP problems it's not recommended at all.

For the post-nasal drip, itching and watering eyes there's Benadryl (diphenhydramine), I sometimes use it to help me sleep too but mostly to stop sneezing so I can get to sleep.

I also have most of the major allergy med's and have tried most of the prescription nasal sprays and pills but I always get the best results from Sudafed and/or Benadryl.

For the natural (homeopathic) approach besides saline, the one that I know actually works for me is Allergy Buster or Sinus Buster, they both contain capsaicin and yes, it feels like a fiery volcano from hell erupting inside the front of your face for about 5 seconds after each spray but, that's just to let you know it's working! There's plenty of reviews for each one on Amazon, I love it - my sister hates it.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Ren for your very informative reply. I basically turned my humidifier down (climateline) because of the rainout, so will adjust it every few weeks or so to see if it improves my sinus problems - and I will check out sudafed too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2012, 09:16 PM)weeble Wrote: Thanks Ren for your very informative reply. I basically turned my humidifier down (climateline) because of the rainout, so will adjust it every few weeks or so to see if it improves my sinus problems - and I will check out sudafed too.

If you're using a ClimateLine hose too you shouldn't be getting any rainout...

I don't know if you've seen this posting: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-with-PAP , I just saw it and there's some relevant info about sinuses etc.

I just noticed your location and I'm beyond jealous! Not for the past flooding problems, I've always wanted to spend a few weeks SCUBA diving the GBR. <sigh> The closest I've come was in '07 when I was working in Sydney.

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
I changed it from auto because of rainout, then set it manually - had to keep adjusting it until it was right...gonna put it back to auto again and see how I go. Haven't been to the GBR but will get there one day (not originally from australia)....this year not much rain predicted the only forecast is for a very long hot summer - YIKES!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2012, 10:24 PM)TheWerkz Wrote: I don't know if you've seen this posting: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...g-with-PAP , I just saw it and there's some relevant info about sinuses etc.
also check "Nasal Breathing Video Series" by Barry Krakow MD ... Commercial Posts

Un-stuffing Your Stuffy Nose by Steven Y. Park, M.D
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose
I use sinus rinse (not spray) just saline solution every night and at times in the morning

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2012, 12:24 AM)zonk Wrote: also check "Nasal Breathing Video Series" by Barry Krakow MD ... Commercial Posts

Un-stuffing Your Stuffy Nose by Steven Y. Park, M.D
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose
I use sinus rinse (not spray) just saline solution every night and at times in the morning

I'm with you 100% on the humidity, I used to think it was just for comfort but, for me and my sinuses it's now mandatory, I haven't been this clear for this long until I finally tried turning it up to almost maximum, I've gone my whole life mostly breathing through 1 nostril or the other or my mouth even when I wasn't having a major allergy attack, I almost always have had some congestion.

I agree with you on "Un-stuffing Your Stuffy Nose" by Steven Y. Park M.D., I have the 45 page pdf from his website, it's very informative.

I'm going to check-out the video's as well.

Knowledge Is Power!

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
Weeble,

I can only tell you what worked for me. Same Resmed S9 Elite w Climateline. In Auto, my sinuses dryed out to the point of bleeding. I upped the temp but that only made it worse. Sounds like you might have already been through this.

Got the humidification into Manual, and short story, ended up at 5.0 and 72F. When I went higher (humidfier), I woke up congested. When I went lower, it might take a few days, but I'd see blood when I blew my nose. Bleeding sinuses can easily get infected.

All that, I've heard the exact opposite from other people on this board. The only thing I can recommend, counter to almost any other adjustment, is make big changes. If you're at 2.5, got to 4.5 or 5.0. Find someplace you can at least deal with and then "tweak" to the optimal setting.

Of course, I may be totally wrong. Still wish you best of luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 9 184 03-26-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Luka07
  Sinus issues during therapy befoulmetalroosa 1 342 11-17-2023, 08:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Sinus infection / recovering from surgery rpierce 0 348 08-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Humidity and Sinus Infection Columbiabill 2 591 06-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  New user with sinus headaches SnoNoMo 6 906 04-20-2023, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Constant sinus headache getzall 3 557 02-20-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: getzall
  [CPAP] Nasal/sinus issue stargazing 30 2,816 12-23-2022, 11:51 PM
Last Post: stargazing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.