Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

pad a cheek?
RE: pad a cheek?
(04-26-2012, 06:34 PM)b360155 Wrote: Hey G.U.B., I was just reading your OP again and notice you make reference to "Total Leak". I'm not sure how Respironics machines measure leaks as far as what is acceptable or not. I have a ResMed S9 Autoset and they score you as far as "unintentional leaks" with anything under 24.0 l/min deemed to be acceptable as the machine can compensate for it. I looked up the flow rate chart for the Resmed Ultra Mirage which I'm attaching here:

[Image: UltraMirageMaskVentRate-1.jpg]

The way I believe you read this chart (maybe somebody else can confirm or refute this) is that for your pressure range of 8 to 12, the intentional or acceptable leak rate is 32 to 41 l/min. Adding 24 l/min unintentional but still acceptable leak rate to these numbers would result in 56 to 65 l/min Total Leak, as being an acceptable level. So if you have 95% Total Leaks of 64 to 70, maybe your leaks aren't really too bad after all??? I may be way off base with this post, but just asking if this is a possibility?

thanks for that. my system one doesn't give leak data like the resmed but i do also use encore viewer which is a pr product. it identifies what it considers as large leaks. i told you the sleepyhead numbers for last night. encore for the same data tells me 67 minutes total in large leak and 21% of the night in large leak with the average leak being 44.

for comparison,

here is the graph from sleepyhead:

[attachment=142]

here is the graph from encore viewer:

[attachment=143]

First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'm going to give you a different opinion. I have a Resmed Softgel nasal mask which I selected because it caused the least problems with red marks on my nose. The problem with the softgel is that it's heavy and larger than most masks so when you turn to sleep on your side, you usually end up with a lot of leaks. Before I got a PadACheek liner my AHI was about 7.0 whereas my AHI now is about 3.5 and I feel that my leak rate is down because I'm no longer awaken by face farts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 10:57 PM)moondoggy Wrote: Before I got a PadACheek liner my AHI was about 7.0 whereas my AHI now is about 3.5 and I feel that my leak rate is down because I'm no longer awaken by face farts.

You owe me a new keyboard. Laugh-a-lotLaugh-a-lot
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Intentional leak rates for masks and exhalation ports
Philips Respironics sleep therapy devices report and/or display total leak rates.
Total leak = intentional leak plus unintentional leak
This chart provides the intentional leak rates of our mask exhalation ports at various pressure settings.
Unintentional leak = total leak minus intentional leak (from mouth, mask, etc.)
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....111027.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

G.U.B. Thanks for posting your graphs. Now I better understand how the different companies measure leak rates. I always wondered how people could sleep at all when they were getting leak rates in the 60's or 70's. The way Resmed measures leaks (unintentional leaks), anything in the 60's or 70's would sound like a hurricane! Anyway, good luck on finding a method to get your leaks under better control.

(04-26-2012, 10:57 PM)moondoggy Wrote: Well, I'm going to give you a different opinion. I have a Resmed Softgel nasal mask which I selected because it caused the least problems with red marks on my nose. The problem with the softgel is that it's heavy and larger than most masks so when you turn to sleep on your side, you usually end up with a lot of leaks. Before I got a PadACheek liner my AHI was about 7.0 whereas my AHI now is about 3.5 and I feel that my leak rate is down because I'm no longer awaken by face farts.

Moondoggy: Like I said, some people have said they experience lower leaks with the Padacheek. That just hasn't been my experience. However, I do think it's a great product and although leaks are a little higher for me with the Padacheek, it still is within the acceptable range and makes mask wearing more comfortable, so I use them. Here's a comparison of 2 typical leak rate graphs for me with my Quattro FX:

1. Without Padacheek
[Image: SleepyheadLeak.jpg]

2. With Padacheek
[Image: SleepyheadLeak2.jpg]

(04-27-2012, 03:14 AM)zonk Wrote: Intentional leak rates for masks and exhalation ports
Philips Respironics sleep therapy devices report and/or display total leak rates.
Total leak = intentional leak plus unintentional leak
This chart provides the intentional leak rates of our mask exhalation ports at various pressure settings.
Unintentional leak = total leak minus intentional leak (from mouth, mask, etc.)
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....111027.pdf

Zonk: Thanks! So what shows up on the graphs as 0.0 l/min on ResScan will show up as something much higher on Respironics and others which only provide total leaks. Makes sense now.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a very hard time finding a mask that did not leak, going through nearly all of the DME's stock of samples. The last one that they tried was the Respironics EasyLife nasal mask which has worked for me 98% of the time(a couple of times I had a problem getting it to do the initial seal when I went to bed and had to shut the machine off to start again because of facial hair). It has a separate seal and support system which helps if you toss and turn at night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 610 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  My puffy cheek solution (nasal mask only) StaphAttack 2 995 07-24-2021, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Cpapian
  Chronic Crease Marks on Your Cheek? A $3 DIY Solution Sheepish 16 10,777 05-13-2021, 04:31 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Strap marks in your cheek stanleydean 4 1,425 04-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Need Help with SH Results and cheek puffing littlefatcat 14 2,074 02-24-2019, 03:05 PM
Last Post: littlefatcat
  Pad-A-Cheek Fitting Issues upsman 5 1,457 04-25-2018, 05:00 PM
Last Post: upsman
  Pad-A-Cheek shinkdavid 3 1,508 10-26-2017, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.