Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Adjusting Pressure on Respironics Model 362505
RE: Adjusting Pressure on Respironics Model 362505
(04-13-2015, 05:20 PM)RobertK Wrote: Incidentally, since you're all so fond of the latest and greatest, I had dinner two weeks ago with a couple whose entire home was destroyed by fire, caused by a very recent-model ResMed CPAP which had been recalled unbeknownst to them, for the very reason that it did heat up and start fires. They weren't hurt, because it burst into flame when they were hunting around downstairs to find out why their alarms were going off, and had no idea it was running, upstairs, even though they thought it was off. I think they said it was a ResMed S8 or S9, later than the ResMed models I have.

The S8 was manufactured 2004-2006 and recalled in 2007 because of a risk of fire.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cd...m?id=51799

If your friend had current equipment, the DME would have a record of who had the device and they would have been notified of the recall and would not have burned their house down.

You can replace your old machine with something that has current technology and support and where the manufacturer can contact you in case of a problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's "Murrysville", the town I live in, up on Logans Ferry Road. The manufacturing and research campus is still here and in Lower Burrell, PA. Philips purchased the company, and it is now known as Philips Respironics.

They won't talk to you, don't waste your time. I've tried, and if you're not a DME or licensed repair facility, you might as well have the plague. They used to be a small family owned company that was very approachable, but today they seem very regulated and limited in who they can speak to. Customer service will be very polite, but useless.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2015, 09:44 AM)Terry Wrote: If your friend had current equipment, the DME would have a record of who had the device and they would have been notified of the recall and would not have burned their house down.

Amazing how much everybody knows about people they've never met.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2015, 09:50 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: It's "Murrysville", the town I live in, up on Logans Ferry Road. The manufacturing and research campus is still here and in Lower Burrell, PA. Philips purchased the company, and it is now known as Philips Respironics.

They won't talk to you, don't waste your time. I've tried, and if you're not a DME or licensed repair facility, you might as well have the plague. They used to be a small family owned company that was very approachable, but today they seem very regulated and limited in who they can speak to. Customer service will be very polite, but useless.

Yes, I remember once needing to call Respironics, long, long ago, with some question--I forget what--and getting through to one of the engineers to get my answer . . . very polite and sensible, and none of that persnickety stuff about who can speak to whom about what. I'm sure if it's now taken over by Philips, there probably is no point in contacting them. My best bet, probably, is to try to find an "old-timer" R.T. (which is what we called respiratory therapists back then) who had once set up this early model, and find out where the control is that regulates it.

There is one mysterious little gizmo on the back

which might be what is used to control the pressure, and which looks as if it was accessible by means of a special tool or "key." It's a little hole with a little spindle hidden inside it, and looks as if it's set up for a R.T. to insert some device to grasp that spindle and turn it or push it and turn it or something of that sort--and that would make sense to me, because then the R.T. could attach a hose and manometer and have the machine sitting there just as a patient would use it, while he set the pressure to the prescription level (as opposed to opening the device, and adjusting something inside, on the motor itself). If I can find needle-nose pliers thin and long enough, I may see if by grasping that spindle and turning it, it changes the apparent pressure.

The only other external controls are the on-off switch and a little turn-screw to change voltage for travel, along with a pull-out drawer for the two electrical fuses which have to be changed when you alter the voltage--and the cap on top over the filters, which the patient was supposed to replace and wash regularly.

That may well be the way the pressure is adjusted on this old machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2015, 11:58 AM)RobertK Wrote:
(04-14-2015, 09:44 AM)Terry Wrote: If your friend had current equipment, the DME would have a record of who had the device and they would have been notified of the recall and would not have burned their house down.

Amazing how much everybody knows about people they've never met.

I don't know anything about them, but I do know about equipment recalls.

When stuff gets old enough, the records tend to vanish.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2015, 12:11 PM)RobertK Wrote: There is one mysterious little gizmo on the back

which might be what is used to control the pressure, and which looks as if it was accessible by means of a special tool or "key."

No. I looked at a somewhat later model I have, which is very similar (this one does have a model name emblazoned on it, which is "Remstar Choice LS"), and on that one, the little gizmo turns out to be a socket for a DC power connector, as when one is plugging it into a car for camping or something of that sort. The same gizmo, in the same position, is marked for its purpose on that one.

But it turns out the dial for altering the pressure is located at the top of the rectangular tower portion, when you open the thing up--needs to be set with a separate manometer, but that's where it is, apparently. I'll have to open it up to see exactly where it is, and if I find it and manage to change the pressure successfully, I'll post a photo of where it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you look at the back of the machine,on the top of the rectangular tower you will see vent slots. look in and you will see a blue square box about 3/8' square with a little white screw in the middle. You can reach and turn it with a small screw driver. If you turn it to the right it decreases the pressure, if you turn it to the left it increases pressure, I hope this helped you !!!!!!!Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2016, 07:36 AM)amerigoa Wrote: If you look at the back of the machine,on the top of the rectangular tower you will see vent slots. look in and you will see a blue square box about 3/8' square with a little white screw in the middle. You can reach and turn it with a small screw driver. If you turn it to the right it decreases the pressure, if you turn it to the left it increases pressure, I hope this helped you !!!!!!!Wink

I see it!!!

I shall try to find a small screwdriver that fits it, and see if I can adjust the pressure up to something that feels more like what I use now.

I'd be glad to be able to get this one back in service again, as a spare! The last time my CPAP suddenly failed and I pulled it out, I realized the pressure on it is much lower than what I need currently--and when you're trying to get back to sleep, that's not a pleasant discovery!

It took a while for me to get an answer: as you probably saw, I got a lot of non-answers first! But I'm delighted to have this mystery explained to me at last.

I never noticed that tiny adjusting mechanism before!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
(09-11-2016, 07:36 AM)amerigoa Wrote: If you look at the back of the machine,on the top of the rectangular tower you will see vent slots. look in and you will see a blue square box about 3/8' square with a little white screw in the middle. You can reach and turn it with a small screw driver. If you turn it to the right it decreases the pressure, if you turn it to the left it increases pressure, I hope this helped you !!!!!!!Wink

SUCCESS!

Using a little screwdriver from an eyeglasses-repair kit I very easily was able to adjust the pressure up and down, and with a little trial-and-error, soon managed to get my old Respironics model creating approximately the same pressure as my "regular" machine, which is starting to make a whining noise (sounds like worn ball bearings or something) and may be about to give up.

Last night, just to be sure, I used the old Respironics machine instead of my own, and managed just fine with it.

However, I then checked a slightly NEWER model I have, which will also need to be adjusted up as well, and did *NOT* find the tiny blue square with the white screw looking through the vents.

This slightly newer model is the same SHAPE, but has a sort of transparent green triangular cut out at the top--I have no idea what it's for. It has vents, but all I see through them is a part of a circuit board.

Do you happen to know where the pressure adjustment is in that newer one? I'd like to adjust it up to my current pressure, too, if I can, so that it's ready to be put into use, if I ever need it.

These machines were expensive when I got them, and I have no intention of trashing them if I can still get some use out of them.

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELPFUL COMMENTS, AGAIN, Amerigoa!Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
The original iPhone was expensive too, but you don't see many of them around since they are obsolete, unsupported and better alternatives exist. Comparing your old machine to an iPhone is a bit unfair to the iPhone...more like one of those bag phones. Just sayin'
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 299 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,047 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Need help adjusting settings cokepi 1 130 03-08-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  what model is this? airwaystent 8 382 02-05-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.