Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Advice and info needed
Advice and info needed
I am a 68 year old male. I have been on CPAP therapy for 16 years. Previous to that, I went ten years without a nights sleep; waking up every 20 minutes choking, with an urge  to urinate. During that time, I suffered several small strokes. The doctors were stumped, until I went to a sleep lab in 2002. I was diagnosed with severe apnea. From the first night, I finally slept normally, and have had no further neurological problems. In 2006, I went for another study (my original sleep doctor had moved to a different part of the country. The second doctor understood that I could not do a split night, as i could not sleep more than 20 minutes without pressure. So he began with a pressure of 4, and titrated up through the night, arriving at 8/10, and procuring for me an AutoPap. In 2010, I wanted another study, but that doctor no longer accepted my insurance. I went to another lab, but they insisted on starting with zero pressure.  I spent two hours choking, gagging, and wetting myself. It was the most humiliating experience I ever had. When I said "OK, now we start the pressure?" They said "No. We need you to sleep for two hours without pressure". I told them that that was not going to happen, and left in the middle of the night. I struggled along on my antiquated machine. I am not computer savvy enough to use software to find my current pressure needs. About a year ago, my machine simply gave out. I called my supplier in order to get a new machine ASAP. They told me I could not get a new one without a fresh study. For the past year, I have been calling lab after lab, doctor after doctor, trying to get a titration that would not start at zero. All refused. My wife, who is also on CPAP, gave me her old CPAP_ machine, which had recently been replaced with an Autopap. I had no way of knowing my right setting, so I just reset it every night, to where I was sleeping comfortably, arriving at 13. My insurance company says that I can do a sleep lab beginning with low pressure, but I need prior authorization. But none of the labs or doctors I spoke with were willing to do this. My wife and I have spent many, many fruitless hours trying to find a cooperative lab. My questions are 2. First, can  anyone recommend a lab or doctor in the New York area who might cooperate? Second, I see Autopaps for sale on Amazon at reasonable prices, without prescription. They claim that they are self setting. Since I can't find a Doc who will help me, would it make sense to buy one out of pocket (just over $500), rather than limp along with a (probably mis-set) straight CPAP, also without medical help? Any suggestions will be gratefully received
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice and info needed
Skip the sleep study. Buy a machine out of pocket, but get advice here first to arrive at the correct machine. Then get help here with settings.

I’m a newbie, so I can’t give technical advice, but good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!!!!!!! My wife uses a resmed airsense 10 and is very happy with it. So, is it not self setting?
Post Reply Post Reply
No not self setting. When the factory sets the machine it comes pressure 4-20 . Its easy to change. That is normally the settings they herein CA use. At 4 you probably feel starvedfor air . Bif yougo to the header of this web site you can get the infomation on you particular machine the access the clinical settings to adjust the pressure. It wouldhelp us tohelp you is you get a machine that is data capable. The down load sleepyhead and post your data. My siginature has that information it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! I really appreciate! I'll get one of my sons to help me with posting the data once the machine comes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to clarify there are a few versions of the Resmed AirSense 10 machine, you want the AirSense 10 AutoSet for the auto pressure adjustment feature. It is thought of here on the forum as one of the better machines to have and should serve your needs well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jeffrey s,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm sorry you have had such a rough time with getting your problems resolved with CPAP therapy. Hopefully, you will be able to get your new machine soon.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck on your quest for better, more restful sleep.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh wow :o I'm sorry you had to go through all of that in the first place!
Post Reply Post Reply
It's ok if the lab starts at 0 (but it will probably be 4), they will quickly ramp up after your first OA. The good thing about a lab study is that they can find a host of other things, that the machine data doesn't show. In fact some labs want you to stop cpap for a few days before the test. If you aren't getting CA on your wife's machine, that's a good start.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you! That is very helpful!

Thank you so much for the encouragement, Trish!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 294 3 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 170 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 862 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,797 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,525 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.