Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Advice for buying new machine and mask
Advice for buying new machine and mask
Hey Guys,
I'm new here but I've been using a cPAP since 2009. My Remstar Pro M series is crapping out on me officially and has been discontinued. It worked really well though until recently.
Now that there have been all sorts of advancements in the tech and software, I'm eager to get a new machine. My Quattro fx mask has also given me some leaks, though I think that might be from not cleaning it regularly enough. So here are my questions for you guys:
Should I try an APAP?
If so, or not, what machine should I get? I'm leaning towards the Dreamstation Pro with Humidifier and heated tube. I like brand loyalty.
FFM mask recommendation?
I'm a side and stomach sleeper (I snore on my back even with the cpap) and I've found that Hybrid masks don't work well for me. Quattro Fx needs adjustment too frequently.
Does a mask's seal improve if it is cleaned more often?
It's gross I know but I'm not the best at cleaning it.
Thanks for any help that can be given.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice for buying new machine and mask
The PRS1 60 series machines are at a bargain price on places like Amazon or Secondwind due to introduction of the Dreamstation series. If you are paying without insurance, that is what I'd do. They are a great upgrade to your M Series and support heated hose options. If you're on the insurance dime, no reason not to get the Dreamstation.

I prefer auto over CPAP fixed. The auto can be set to fixed pressure, but you can't change the Pro to auto. With a pressure of 12, I'd just set the auto at 10-14 and have at it. Also consider getting Sleepyhead software (free) at the link at the top of this page. It can really help to get things dialed in.

No suggestions on FFM. Any mask should seal better if it's cleaned. I just use some Dawn and then rinse under clean water.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Should I try an APAP?
why not. price difference is minimal and you might really benefit, but if not, it can be set to a straight pressure. All Auto machines have a fair bit of data you can analyze and use to tweak your treatment for comfort and efficacy. I vote yes. Dreamstation is a good machine, I wouldnt hesitate, altho I am a Resmed user myself (havent tried respironics)

FFM mask recommendation? Can't help you much - Pillows user here!

Does a mask's seal improve if it is cleaned more often? yes. you need to clean off the facial oils and sweat. It helps if you build up a small supply of cushions and wash them in batches.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
First, congrats on your success!!

Second, Respironics is a good brand. I second what Sleeprider said. The PRS1 60 series machines and the current Dream Station appear to use the same algorithm. If you have dexterity issues, however, I would more recommend the Dream Station. I tried out the Dream Station at a recent Diabetes Expo and the humidifier is much easier to manage for someone whose fingers don't work quite right or are very large. Other than that, it's your call. I get that the previous versions looked 'ugly' but they are sturdy and basically are a top machine.

For most people, they aren't really going to see a significant difference between Respironics and Resmed. But for some, like myself, the algorithm for one isn't going to work so well. You have had success and are happy with what you have, so stay with the brand for that reason. In addition, I'd recommend an Auto machine. It has both cpap and apap options. Don't stick yourself with straight cpap UNLESS you have a medical reason established why you shouldn't even try apap (some people with certain heart or blood pressure issues) OR you've tried it and it didn't work for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the help guys. I think the biggest deterrent at this point with the Auto machines is that I'm going to be paying out of pocket for this. I'm unfortunately without insurance so the price difference may be an issue. I've got a BiPap version of my M series and I found that I had more episodes with it. I don't know how different BiPap and auto are.
More important to me is having the heated humidifier and heated tubing.
Another question for you guys. If I'm suspecting that I could benefit from tacking up my pressure from 12 to 13, would that be a mistake when getting it programmed? Without doing a sleep study that is. It's been a few years since my last sleep study and I've put on a little weight since then. I really can't afford another sleep study at this point.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are paying out of pocket, then the Phillips Respironics 60 series auto is what you want. Check out the prices at SecondWind (Supplier #2 on our Supplier's List link at top of every page). PR machines tend to be cheaper overall and the auto gets you the best bang for your buck.

If you have been using a bilevel machine, do you know why? Do you have lung issues? Did they try the auto or regular cpap for you before and you need more?

Bilevel machines, basically, have more exhale relief and can be finer tuned in terms of exhale pressure and inhale pressure. A lot of people with lung issues or those who require higher pressures need a bilevel. I'd hate for you to spend your money on an APAP and it not be what you need.

xPAP machines can have the exhale relief set to a 3 point difference max. Meaning if you inhale at 12, the minimum possible exhale would be 9. Bilevel machines, however, can have a higher difference.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was given a BiPap to try because I was having air swallowing issues. I found it preferable to go back to the fixed Cpap
Post Reply Post Reply
as far as changing pressure, that is where the APAP really shines. You shouldn't change pressure until after reviewing the data that the machine produces during therapy. You can download the Sleepyhead software at the links at top of this page and pull in the data from your APAP and you can get instruction here on how to tell if pressures are adequate, and if not, how to change them. Once you have a new machine, request your clinicians manual - that link also at the top of this page.
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Your BiPAP changed pressures between inhalation and exhale on a breath by breath basis. By contrast an Auto CPAP provides the same fixed pressure you are used to in CPAP mode, but over a gradually changing pressure range. It is unlikely you would notice any difference.

You can get the PRS1 Auto 60 Series with humidifier and heated hose for $444 on Amazon. Just search for the "PR System One 60 Series Auto with Heated Tube Humidifier DS560TS". I doubt you'll find it cheaper anywhere. That one operates in fixed CPAP mode as well.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-04-2016, 03:09 PM)thebottomclef Wrote: I was given a BiPap to try because I was having air swallowing issues. I found it preferable to go back to the fixed Cpap

I found a big difference in going to BiPap over CPAP when it comes to air swallowing. BiPap provides incredible comfort, but the settings have to be nicely structured.

I've been a fan of Auto too until recently. I just discovered that many pressure increases that were automatically generated due to Obstructions or H's were actually not significant or preceded by flow pressure spikes (yawn, movement, etc).

I recently lowered the pressure significantly (by 1.5) but kept it constant and magically had a first time ever of 0 Obstructives last night at a lower pressure! No more Auto for me.

Wow, Amazon's got some incredible pricing on those PRS1 560 with heated tubes. At a little over $400. Be sure to read the seller's notes under 'Condition'. They do say 'new' but some of them give model numbers of other machines. You might want to "ask a question to the seller" just to confirm before purchase. Sadly, the extra supply will sell-out in the months ahead, and that's challenging for many uninsured people.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 161 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 848 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,775 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 142 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 76 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 782 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.