Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Advice on lowering AHI score.
RE: Advice on lowering AHI score.
Here is last night's data.  I made a few changes.  I dropped the max pressure to 13.5 which appears to be too low.  I also wore a cervical collar the first half of the night.  I took it off a little after 3am.  I'm not sure it helped any and maybe made the clusters worse.  Any advice?  Tonight I plan on turning on ERP to see what that does. 

https://imgur.com/a/TLsBw

Thanks

James
Post Reply Post Reply
James, the breathing is irregular here, and the apnea seem to arise without a complete exhale which is a bit curious. This looks more like an arousal than sleep pattern, and I see a lot of swallowing and starts and stops that may not be typical sleep apnea.

You might find a comfortable fitting soft cervical collar clears up a lot of problems. I don't have a strong opinion on what is causing the apnea events at this point, and as we see more results from you, the picture may become clearer.

Tom

[Image: xRkZidM.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi forester07,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and getting it fine-tuned to better meet your needs, you have come to the right place for guidance.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are my results from last night.  Slightly better.  8.5 AHI.  I used the EPR feature. 

https://imgur.com/a/2TNjQ
Post Reply Post Reply
Events are down and you do fine with the Flex setting on. I think it would be interesting to see if you respond positively to a higher minimum pressure of 10.0. Events are kind of mixed, and a little less clustered, leaks remain in good shape. It is interesting that with Flex, which lowers EPAP pressure, your results improved. There is no clear indication of what direction to take regarding CPAP pressure, but increasing the minimum may improve hypopnea and obstruction, or show us you do better with lower pressure.

[Image: y0fJi5Y.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last Night's data.   My best score I've had in a while.  I'm going to leave the settings along for a few days and see how I adjust and where I average out. I'll post again in a few days. 

https://imgur.com/a/BCAiT

Thanks,

James
Post Reply Post Reply
Things look more like conventional obstructive apnea now, with occasional sleep transition centrals. OA events are clustered, and point to the positional apnea or a cervical collar. No disagreement with using this pressure for several days and seeing how it settles out, but a higher minimum would likely help more than hurt. In fact, you seem to see events happen every time the machine returns to minimum pressure. I do think you're getting closer, but 11.0 is waiting when you're ready.

[Image: oCw4Xbu.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
My latest results. This is my best AHI yet. 5.93. Let's see if it stay consistent. 

https://imgur.com/a/EWv62
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with what Sleeprider said before. Bump your minimum pressure up to 11cm. Also the advise on using a soft cervical collar is good.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Bumped the pressure up to 11cm for the last three days.  Here is my latest data.  It has improved.  2.83 AHI.  I used a cervical collar for part of the night. 

https://imgur.com/a/5MGmD
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,539 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 328 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 464 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 501 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 289 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,029 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.