Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Air Blowing Out of Mouth
RE: CPAP Air Blowing Out of Mouth
For anyone with air escaping from their mouth, I cannot urge you enough to practice the tongue suck technique. Practice in the daytime to make it a habit for the night.

Once you get it you will find there is a sweet spot where your tongue blocks the air from getting to your mouth. Put you xPAP on and find that sweet spot. That is where you want your tongue to be.

Nothing to buy, nothing to asperate into, nothing to replace ....... all it takes is a little will power
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been practicing the tongue suck technique and I think I'm getting better at it. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with air blowing through the mouth tape and quickly reposition my tongue and then go back to sleep. Note, for people scared of using tape, the Sominfix stuff will come right off if you open you mouth. It also has a slit right in the center so you can breath through it if necessary. For people using 3M tape, they say a slit should be made in the middle where you lips meet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2018, 11:15 AM)Cpapian Wrote: For anyone with air escaping from their mouth, I cannot urge you enough to practice the tongue suck technique.  Practice in the daytime to make it a habit for the night.

Once you get it you will find there is a sweet spot where your tongue blocks the air from getting to your mouth.  Put you xPAP on and find that sweet spot.  That is where you want your tongue to be.

Nothing to buy, nothing to asperate into, nothing to replace ....... all it takes is a little will power

How does one master this technique?

I am fine until I hit REM sleep at 4 AM.  My tongue relaxes (as it physiologically is supposed to) and I get the air bubbles in and out of my mouth.  

Tape and chin straps just hold my mouth shut giving me chipmunk cheeks...so useless for my situation.

I must be doing this tongue suck wrong because it stops working when the pressures start kicking in.

Mike
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2018, 01:44 PM)mikeinstlouis Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 11:15 AM)Cpapian Wrote: For anyone with air escaping from their mouth, I cannot urge you enough to practice the tongue suck technique.  Practice in the daytime to make it a habit for the night.

Once you get it you will find there is a sweet spot where your tongue blocks the air from getting to your mouth.  Put you xPAP on and find that sweet spot.  That is where you want your tongue to be.

How does one master this technique?

I am fine until I hit REM sleep at 4 AM.  My tongue relaxes (as it physiologically is supposed to) and I get the air bubbles in and out of my mouth.  

Tape and chin straps just hold my mouth shut giving me chipmunk cheeks...so useless for my situation.

I must be doing this tongue suck wrong because it stops working when the pressures start kicking in.

Mike

I learned it while working on the treadmill.  I have a habit on working on memorization while on the treadmill.  Partly because it is boring, partly because I believe memorization is good for the brain and partly because I believe it works better that way.  Get your body busy doing something then try to learn something else.  Absolutely no scientific evidence.

When you go to bed tonight, mask up, turn on your machine ........ then open your mouth.  Then put your tongue up at the roof of your mouth and let it slide back until the air stops escaping.  That's where your tongue should be.   

I know you lose it in the middle of the night.  Open your mouth and reposition as before and go back to sleep.  Next day, practice while walking to/from your office or while listening to voice mail.  Find little ways to practice during the day.  Unfortunately, for those of us for whom the position is not natural. We have to work to get it there.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
When my pressure was too high on my machine I had this problem. I use Good Morning Snore Solution Mouthpiece, however I do not put my tongue into the piece that sticks out as they recommend. This would put your tongue between your teeth and ready to chomp on at might. I also do not put it on the inside of my teeth but rather outside my teeth along my lips. It is a pretty effective blockage for the air that would leak past my closed mouth. There are cheaper imitation versions out there that work the same way.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using an adult pacifier for almost 2 years and it solved ALL the problems with air leakage, drool, etc. Only minor issue is that my uppers haved moved forward 2 millimeters or so, not a problem for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 3 109 3 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 4 190 03-16-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 8 132 03-14-2024, 01:15 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 984 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 729 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,098 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 457 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.