Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Air Curve ASV - Newbie
RE: Air Curve ASV - Newbie
ASV relief won't kick in when you're in ramp?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 05:46 PM)JVinNE Wrote: ASV relief won't kick in when you're in ramp?

Yes, I decided to go to 5 minutes just to start off at an easier pressure. When they gave me the machine they had it set at 20 minutes and I normally fall asleep within 5 to 10 minutes so that was to long. I experience CA's when I am following asleep so 5 minutes is a good start.

Thank you,

Randy
Post Reply Post Reply
I have sleep-onset central hypopnea. That is why
I am on the same machine that you use.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those results look great Randy, good job!

If your nose continues to give you crap go to your friendly drug store and purchase a tube of HPA Lanolin. You get it from the baby supply department. One caution: Do not use it as per the directions on the tube. It will not work. But what will work is to apply just a little bit to the tips of your nostrils.

JV? I confess I'm not sure about whether or not the ASV machines will respond to a CA while in ramp. The rule I have always understood was that while in ramp, the machines do not respond to apneas. But maybe one of our more ASV enlightened will come along to clear this up for us.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2015, 12:00 PM)retired_guy Wrote: 3. Your "max" is really high. I think I'd rather have a little lower max as long as the CA's don't spike a lot. You're currently at zero, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Hi retired_guy,

Actually, in ASV or ASVauto modes the ResMed machines never attempt to classify apneas as central versus obstructive. This is because the ResMed method of determining whether an apnea is central versus obstructive would take up to 10 seconds, and ASV needs to jump in and start treating apneas much sooner than that.

So the numbers reported for central apneas and obstructive apneas in ResMed ASV modes will always be zero, and the breakdown between central versus obstructive will always be unknown.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 02:31 PM)randeh Wrote: Well I had a great night sleep and I felt good when I got up. The larger nasal pillow and lower settings sure helped. The report shows a large leak but I do not remember anything about that. Bed

1. I am still getting some air swallowing so maybe a lower EPAP max would help but I will wait a few nights.

A moderate amount of air swallowing is normal with ASV therapy.

I suggest taking daily or twice daily a "probiotic" such as Garden of Life brand "Primal Defense Ultra" so that the air which is swallowed and passes through the system will not get smelly. Also, probiotics are a great boost to our immune system and general good health.

With the probiotic, I also take a time release Magnesium pill (Jig Saw brand sustained release Magnesium) to avoid constipation which sometimes happens when we take probiotics. A moderate amount of Magnesium is also very good in general for our health.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 09:58 PM)retired_guy Wrote: The rule I have always understood was that while in ramp, the machines do not respond to apneas.

This is my understanding also.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 10:28 AM)vsheline Wrote: Hi retired_guy,

Actually, in ASV or ASVauto modes the ResMed machines never attempt to classify apneas as central versus obstructive. This is because the ResMed method of determining whether an apnea is central versus obstructive would take up to 10 seconds, and ASV needs to jump in and start treating apneas much sooner than that.

So the numbers reported for central apneas and obstructive apneas in ResMed ASV modes will always be zero, and the breakdown between central versus obstructive will always be unknown.

Thanks Vaughn. Good info to know. Are they likewise not classified in Respironics machines?
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:So the numbers reported for central apneas and obstructive apneas in ResMed ASV modes will always be zero, and the breakdown between central versus obstructive will always be unknown.

Thanks Vaughn. Good info to know. Are they likewise not classified in Respironics machines?
[/quote]

The PRS1 ASV machine uses a fast "Pressure Pulse" method which does not interfere with ASV therapy.

So I think the PRS1 ASV machine reports Clear-airway Apnea versus Obstructive Apnea.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 09:58 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Those results look great Randy, good job!

If your nose continues to give you crap go to your friendly drug store and purchase a tube of HPA Lanolin. You get it from the baby supply department. One caution: Do not use it as per the directions on the tube. It will not work. But what will work is to apply just a little bit to the tips of your nostrils.

JV? I confess I'm not sure about whether or not the ASV machines will respond to a CA while in ramp. The rule I have always understood was that while in ramp, the machines do not respond to apneas. But maybe one of our more ASV enlightened will come along to clear this up for us.

Hi Retired Guy,

I will give the HPA Lanolin a try.

Correct the ASV does not kick in during ramp up and in normal mode it seems to kick in within 2 seconds or so.

For Friday night I did not have any recorded events although I felt like crap all day with only 4 1/2 hours of sleep.

Last night I woke at around 2:30 and was able to get back to sleep although from that time on it was very interrupted. During that time my AHI went up to 5.0 but my average for the night was 1.32.

I believe I can attribute my higher AHI to not getting enough pressure due to sinus congestion in the AM. I love the P10 Air Pillow mask but I think I will need to try a hybrid or perhaps my full face mask will work at these lower pressures.

Well here is a screen shot of my latest and greatest. As always any suggestions are welcomed and very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Randy

[Image: screenshot-20150419-075937.png]

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 103 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 181 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 160 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 482 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 185 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 274 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 258 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.