Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Air Filters
RE: CPAP Air Filters
This gave me a thought about the cpap concentrating the air, and therefore you concentrate the amount of whatever else is in the air, dust pollen etc.
The tech heads here would know. But does it really. Think about it. We only need so much air, cpap or not. Are you increasing the amount of air you need to breath with a cpap? You can't breath in more than you need, other wise hyperventilate. So you do breath in the same amount cpap or not. So with or without a cpap, your going to inhale the same amount of whatever is in the air. People who don't use cpaps are breathing in all the dust pollen mold or whatever your space has. Cpaps through air pressure, open your airway, but until you inhale, does not enter your lungs. You only breath in what you would need. I don't see how it would increase the amount of particulates in the air because of that with or without a cpap.

As far as protecting the machine, I get it. But after quite a long time of struggling with pressures and such, and not being able to get the results I need, I'll try anything to wake up with a clear head, a restful nights sleep. Tech heads??????
Post Reply Post Reply
If there's noticable increases in airflow with the filters off, the filters need to be replaced in my opinion. Just like I wouldn't drive my van without an air filter, my PAP has a clean filter in place always.

It makes me wonder why increasing settings don't help but removal of the filters do and that this increased flow sans filters brings flow up to where you're more comfortable. It makes me think the correct settings aren't being adjusted or that an incorrect pressures setup is in place.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jeremy,
If you are still using a minimum pressure of 4.5 - 5, this could be the reason you feel like you are not getting enough air.  We call it being "air starved."   It has little to do with the filter.  

If the manufacturers thought their cpaps didn't need an air filter... well they wouldn't have made them with one.  

The air filter is mainly there to protect the machine's motor from dust particles in the air.  

Suggestion:  Put your filter back in the Cpap, set minimum pressure to 7cm. Set CFlex to 2.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
But you still have not addressed the question. It's like, lets say, a garden hose. The hose pressure is 30 psi, but nothing flows until you open the nozzle. The cpap creates the pressure, like a garden hose, but does nothing but expand the hose with pressure until it's opened, right?
Same idea with air. I don't know man, all I do know is it 'f e e l s' better. Easier to breath, in and out. Like I said, I've tried increasing pressures etc. It does not work like this does. And at this point, other than protecting the machine, don't see how your not going to inhale the same amount of particulates that you would otherwise without a cpap machine at all, other than the filter (but that's only going to stop dust.)
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a ceiling fan, you have undoubtedly seen the accumulation of gunk on the fan blade's leading edge.   Without using a filter on your CPAP, its impeller will experience the same thing over time.  This will ultimately reduce its efficiency and its lifespan.    The bottom line is, it's your machine and your money, do what you want.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jeremy, could you post some charts so we have data to base our discussion on. Show us.

Most adults are, as noted above, "Air-Starved" at low pressures. Personally, I cannot tolerate any (inhale) pressure under 10. On your machine set a higher pressure, and you may need to go higher than Opal's 7, but that is a good place to start and use a Flex of 2 to drop the exhale pressure. Try it, and yes I know it can be counterintuitive.

To get a practical idea of the pressures involved, get a tall glass of water, a straw and blow bubbles. At 4 inches deep you have 10 cmw which is higher than your pressure, at 8 inches deep that is the max pressure your CPAP is capable of producing. I'll bet you will not have any issues doing this. CPAP's are really very low pressure machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gideon,
Jeremy has the DS 200 series cpap, so... no data.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 85 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 836 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 395 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,467 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 828 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 508 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question [Equipment] Who sells ResMed's AirSense 10 HypoAllergenic filters most cheaply, for Canada? StackExchange 1 526 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.