Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Air Filters
CPAP Air Filters
I removed the air filter, which was recently cleaned, from my Dream Station. With my mask on, I tried both, with/without. I noticed that it was easier to inhale and exhale, it felt more free and easy to breath with it removed. I know it's there to protect the machine and lungs but I seem to sleep better with it removed. Try it, it won't hurt to try. I use a hepa air cleaner in my room that helps remove dust particles, so I'm not so concerned. Anything to sleep better.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Air Filters
I think I'm just gonna leave mine in. Anything that's concentrating air is going to concentrate dust, pollen, mould spores, etc. And unless all of the air is being pre-processed and kept clean before going into the PAP, it's still going to have some particulates, potentially. As I already have allergies to high heaven, I'm gonna leave it in place.

I genuinely don't know how much difference it would even make. While it's bound to affect the intake a small amount, they're calibrated to use a filter, and at worst, it just means that the motor has to work harder to produce the same output power. So from a user perspective, you shouldn't be seeing a problem unless your filter is really grubby or your machine's motor isn't doing so great. And filtering the air helps to prolong the life of the machine too, not just your health.

I'm not sure why, if you're feeling as though you're not getting as much air, then you wouldn't increase the pressure instead?
Post Reply Post Reply
You're supposed to be using two filters: the reusable one and a disposable fine filter. The reusable one should be replaced every 6 months and the disposable one every month. Was that the routine you were following?

I urge you to use your filters. If you are having trouble breathing freely and easily, your settings might need to be fine-tuned. Feel free to post an Oscar chart, which might help forum members to give you some ideas to try out.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have a HEPA filter in the bedroom plus a whole house filtration system as part of the HVAC. After a month, there is still significant discoloration on the disposable filter on my machine. Filters do work.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine gets so gray so quickly... there's no way I'd go without it!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd not be one to be gambling on a DreamStation not being damaged without the filters.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The air filter on my AirSense 10 AutoSet is very simple and robust. I think I've replaced it once since having started therapy in Sept. of 2018, and that was because I had plenty on hand.

I simply remove it, run it under some warm water with a drop or two of dish soap, and give it a quick and easy finger massage. It comes out as clean as a new one. 

For whatever reason, they just don't get dirty at all. Not even discolored.  Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2021, 06:42 PM)Big Guy Wrote: The air filter on my AirSense 10 AutoSet is very simple and robust. I think I've replaced it once since having started therapy in Sept. of 2018, and that was because I had plenty on hand.

I simply remove it, run it under some warm water with a drop or two of dish soap, and give it a quick and easy finger massage. It comes out as clean as a new one. 

For whatever reason, they just don't get dirty at all. Not even discolored.  Unsure

The DreamStation filter set is much finer than the ResMed filter.  A comparison would be like multiple layers of cheesecloth vs a fish net.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, but unless you try it, even for 1 minute, you won't no the difference. I look at cpap as an extension of my lungs, we are one so to speak. The air just feels 'free-er' inhaling and exhaling. I've slept better since taking it out. I've tried increasing pressures. That does not help, and actually makes my sleep quality worse. You can't hurt the machine by taking the filter out for a minute. All I'm saying is try it. I have 1 filter,  Oscar is not supported by my machine. Just thought I'd share this with yall.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2021, 06:48 AM)Jeremy H Wrote: The air just feels 'free-er' inhaling and exhaling.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I'm not sure how that works. When someone inhales, the air goes to the pump. The pump then speeds up or slows down to give the right amount of air in a consistent stream, based on the sensors measuring it very accurately. If the filter is slowing air intake, then it will just run faster to provide what is needed. When someone exhales, it doesn't go through the intake filter, it goes out through the vent holes in the mask you use, back into the room. And I'm pretty sure that's how all xPAP machines work right? Unless you have a filter between the output of the pump and the tube or mask?

(06-01-2021, 06:48 AM)Jeremy H Wrote: You can't hurt the machine by taking the filter out for a minute.

No, running it for one minute probably won't. But using it for 7/8+ hours a day, every day, can. That's the point. And considering the price of a new machine (and the medical issues of not having a working medical device), that's not (personally) a risk that I would want to take, even outside the potential allergy etc hazards.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 85 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 395 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,467 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 828 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 508 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question [Equipment] Who sells ResMed's AirSense 10 HypoAllergenic filters most cheaply, for Canada? StackExchange 1 526 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.