Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Air Sense 10 Auto CPAP
Air Sense 10 Auto CPAP
I just picked up my new AirSense 10 CPAP machine yesterday and was told that the machine could sense when I was awake and asleep and if the pressure went up I wouldn't feel it because it would happen when I was asleep and when I awoke the pressure would go down. I wasn't even asleep yet and my breathing was fine but the pressure went up from 4.0 to 12.5 and it wouldn't go down until I turned it off and started it over. I woke up in the night and it was 11.5 but it did not go down by itself I had to turn it off again and start it over. Anybody have that happen and how do you stop it from doing that.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air Sense 10 Auto CPAP
I suspect you have the ramp feature turned on.
It's personal choice; but most people do not use the ramp.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I fear you've been misled.

As our illustrious Paula would say... Or maybe it's RobySue............. The only one that knows when you're awake or asleep is Santa Clause. ..and as talented as the A10's are, Santa Clause they are not.

What you are describing is a feature called "Ramp." The idea of the ramp feature is to start at a low pressure, then build slowly over a period of time in which you will fall asleep.

You can use ramp if you wish. Some do, some don't. While in ramp, your machine will not detect/prevent apnea events. My personal preference for a ramp setting is "off." You can specify the beginning pressure, which right now for you is 4, the maximum ramp pressure -- which sounds like it's 12.5? And how long the machine takes to get there.

The machine will not lower the pressure if you wake up. Turning it off, then on, restarts the ramp, which defeats the ability of the machine to sense apnea events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Guerrieri,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would agree with what others have said, turn off the ramp and see if that will help.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The A10 AutoRamp function is a one time thing. If enabled, it waits until it thinks you're asleep, and then ramps the pressure up. It doesn't drop pressure when you wake up unless you turn it off and back on.

If the machine is in auto pressure mode, when you wake up or stop having apneas or other forms of disturbed breathing, it will slowly lower pressure down to the minimum pressure setting, but it will take a while to do so.

It's unclear how good a job the machine does at telling whether you're asleep or not in order to start the AutoRamp function.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if this feature works on the For Her model (which I am getting)?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 03:19 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I wonder if this feature works on the For Her model (which I am getting)?

If you are asking (axing) if the for her model also has the Auto Ramp feature........yes it does.

And if you access the clinician menu you can indeed set the start pressure for ramp and or auto ramp......the default is 4cm which is way too low for most people, so I'd set it higher, at least 6cm. Most folks get that smothered sensation if you leave it set at the 4cm default.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 03:19 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I wonder if this feature works on the For Her model (which I am getting)?
Yes, AirSense 10 AutoSet 4 Her is top of the range

Congrats
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 11:21 AM)Guerrieri Wrote: I just picked up my new AirSense 10 CPAP machine yesterday and was told that the machine could sense when I was awake and asleep and if the pressure went up I wouldn't feel it because it would happen when I was asleep and when I awoke the pressure would go down. I wasn't even asleep yet and my breathing was fine but the pressure went up from 4.0 to 12.5 and it wouldn't go down until I turned it off and started it over. I woke up in the night and it was 11.5 but it did not go down by itself I had to turn it off again and start it over. Anybody have that happen and how do you stop it from doing that.

Hi Guerrieri,

The time allowed to finish ramping in Auto Ramp mode is 30 minutes.

Even if the machine does not detect sleep onset, it has to start ramping up early enough to finish within the 30 minutes, after ramping 1cmH2O per minute.

In Auto Ramp mode, after around 21.5 minutes of waiting for you to fall asleep it will start ramping up at 1 cmH2O per minute (or 0.2 cmH2O every 12 seconds), so that around 8.5 minutes later it will have reached therapeutic pressure.

If you raise the Start Pressure for the ramp to about 8.5, the ramping would need only about 4 minutes to ramp up to around 12.5, so the machine would be able to wait up to around 26 minutes for you to fall asleep before (ready or not) it would need to start ramping up.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2015, 03:28 PM)under pressure Wrote: And if you access the clinician menu you can indeed set the start pressure for ramp and or auto ramp......the default is 4cm which is way too low for most people, so I'd set it higher, at least 6cm. Most folks get that smothered sensation if you leave it set at the 4cm default.

Thanks for mentioning this, I didn't know I could change the ramp starting pressure. I originally had my pressure set 6-12 on the S9 and of course, the ramp started at 4, so I didn't use it. The PA reset my starting pressure to 8 and that was just too much for me. However, after reading your comment, I checked the S9 and reset the starting pressure for the RAMP at 6. Much more comfortable. I have it set for 20 minutes since I usually fall asleep within that space of time. Even if I don't, the gradual increase was tolerable.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,255 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 335 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 388 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 404 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 561 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [Treatment] Three days using Soft Cervical Collar, AHI 6.73, 4.81, 22.28; makes sense? Aldiorg 9 891 11-15-2023, 12:47 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] Air Sense 10 SD card LED flashing red BNelson 2 576 10-12-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: BNelson

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.