Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Air leak from the mouth
Air leak from the mouth
I found I was waking up with a dry mouth even the humidity was properly maintained.
The provider suggested sleeping with a strap. I tried and in the morning my head was smashed. I put next evening my camcorder on “night vision” and recorded my sleep. I noticed I sleep with a closed mouth but from time to time I saw air came out from my lips.
I noticed some time is hard to exhale. I replaced the filter but it didn’t change it. I was wondering it might be another issue with the pressure settings. If the pressure is high (I see the gauge is showing 8-9), and in the time when I am not inhaling, the high air pressure tries to escape. One stream goes out through the outlet on mask tubing, but another goes through my mouth. (my mouth is closed, but the air comes out from my lips). I slipped with a mouthguard to make sure my mouth is closed but this didn’t take effect on my lips. I read some people tried taping patches from amazon but looks are not working for CPAP.  
It is a great idea to have in our profiles the type of machines and pressure range prescribed, but what about if one of the basic settings is wrong? Here are mine:
basic settings attached

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air leak from the mouth
The summery you gave dose not give enough info to suggest any help. We prefer OSCAR software.  It is totally free and it available from a link at the top of the site. You will need a SD card.  They are cheap ca any size under 32 GB. They are used in many cameras and you can get one at any large store (Walmart, target...)
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I installed it. Could you tell me how to import the data from the SD card, which is in the CPAP, and why I need another one?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your computing device either has an SC card-sized slot or it does not.  You can purchase a 'card reader' at many stores that sell computer equipment and accessories, or at Best Buy, etc.

You open the OSCAR programme, insert the SD card into the slot, and then OSCAR will open a dialogue as to what you want it to do.  You want the leftmost option of reading/importing from the SC card.

Note that, while you are reading up on how to use OSCAR, it will instruct you to open an account name into which your programme will import the nightly data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the instructions! All done. Now, what data I should check or share? The point - is the high pressure causes a mouth air leak?
Post Reply Post Reply
See the bottom of this post for which graphs. Once you get the charts in order, remove the calendar (click the triangle in the dateline it toggles off and on. Next find in the menu (I have forgot just where - I’m away from my computer) and remove the pie chart. When every thing is how you want it to look use F12 key to take a screenshot. 

Post those charts by using the prompts at the bottom of the page. Tell us anything you are wondering about so we have an idea what you need.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you again! Attached.

Post Reply Post Reply
In the left hand column, move the slide bar all the way to the top, that is important info.

And try to make the graphs wider. You should be able to do that my clicking and dragging

Repost
Post Reply Post Reply
Attached

Post Reply Post Reply
Good job!  

I would suggest leaving the max alone
Min=8
EPR ON set to 3

That should help with a more peaceful night and hopefully you will be able to use it for a longer time. 

Post again tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 11 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.