Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Air surges
Air surges
I'm a newbie to this forum. I use nasal cushions with my Phillips DreamStation APAP with humidifier, which I've had for a bit over a year now.

When it was new, I found the machine really difficult to get used to, as the air would surge, like ocean waves, on its own schedule. Now that I've had more time with the machine, it is much more comfortable--I start to inhale, it boosts my inhalation, I exhale, it maintains pressure.

We had a power outage here in an ice storm (in Oregon, not Texas!!) and I was relieved that the power came back on before bedtime. I ordered a battery backup, and I note that they advise not using the humidifier. Sure enough, I tried it out with the humidifier, and it stopped after 5 hours, leaving me gasping.

The next time I tried the battery, I tried without the humidifier. All night long, it was as though I were back to my first days with the machine, with gusts of air shooting at me. 

Checking DreamMapper, the parameters look all the same: AutoCPAPwithAflex,90% pressure=7.4, Average Pressure 6.4, Min 6.0, Max 15.0, ramp of. Mask fit was 99-100% both nights. 

I don't understand APAP's algorithm, does it actually learn how the user breathes at night, so are the surges just a matter of the machine needing to learn?    Thanks in advance, folks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air surges
Try switching off all Flex modes. I found PR flex to be quite disturbing too - better have it off, particularly as your pressure is quite low. With EPR off on my Resmed I sometimes have to check that it's on as it feels like it's barely doing anything (which is a good thing since I have no OA's!)
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2021, 01:03 AM)kappa Wrote: Try switching off all Flex modes. I found PR flex to be quite disturbing too - better have it off, particularly as your pressure is quite low. With EPR off on my Resmed I sometimes have to check that it's on as it feels like it's barely doing anything (which is a good thing since I have no OA's!)

Thank you, Kappa.....I think I saw some utility here that will let me mess with things like Flex Modes. I don't think I've seen it in my user menus on the DreamStation.
Post Reply Post Reply
You probably need to get in to the clinician setup mode. Go to this page to find how to get the information for your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how do i slow down the surges? fdashiell 34 2,754 10-06-2020, 06:44 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.