Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] AirSense 11 very tricky climate controls
AirSense 11 very tricky climate controls
I had commented once before that I found a way to keep my AirSense 11 from running out of water.  I had taken the tubing temperature off of Automatic and set it to manual, but left the Climate Control (humidifier) on Automatic.  I had set the tubing temp to 68 degrees.

I since moved it to 70 degrees because some nights it just seemed too cold to get to sleep quickly.  It was still fine for water, but a little bit of dry mouth in the morning. Since there was plenty water left over (I fill it close to maximum), I thought I would increase the humidity.

So I took it off automatic for climate, and that positioned the Humidity at 5. I increased it to 6.  Honestly, that's all I did.

At 4:30am, I woke up straining to exhale, with the tube making a lot of water sounds, the pressure at full blast, and water flowing out of the nasal pillow onto my face and down the side of my pillow.  I shut the machine off, and started it again, thinking maybe the pressure had got out of wack.  The pressure reset somewhat but there was still water in the tube, it triggered something in the machine and it was back at a high pressure mix of water and air into the nasal pillow. 

I shut it off again, this time I disconnected the tube and shook the water out of it, then reinstated automatic for the climate control, and the machine went back to normal and I slept until day.

Any ideas on what I did wrong?  Is it really that touchy that I can't opt to get closer to the end of the water and more humidity without all of that?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AirSense 11 very tricky climate controls
I have a similar problem, but my pressure is high enough that I run out of water before morning with humidity at 3 and tubing at 70 degrees. I'd prefer higher humidity TBH, but I sure don't want to have to be awake enough to refill the tank at night.

Does anyone have a suggestion that doesn't involve a Dremmel and a 3d printer?
Post Reply Post Reply
High pressure does not cause water usage, excessive leakage causes leaks.

The best way to track leakage is with the OSCAR software - a free download from the link up in the black menu bar. Even with the Patient View set to Advanced you will only see a single average, but not the peaks and plateaus of leakage.

The other problem caused by leaks is that it disturbs your sleep, so it is worth the effort to eliminate them as much as possible.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fisher & Paykel make a standalone humidifier that holds a decent amount of water (450 ml) and can be used with other machines. It is the HC150 Heated Humidifier Starter Pack which includes the heated piece and water chamber. It is a bit spendy. Will not post a link as to not violate forum policy. Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started on cpap I was in the throes of menopause and I found the warm air coming out of the machine was the worst part of the therapy. (I kept my thermostat at 60 in the winter and walked around my house in shorts, t-shirt, bare feet, wet hair, and I wasn't cold, LOL)

I experimented with setting the tube temp down a little bit and since it felt dry the humidity up. Well physics always wins, and I can report that if you set the temp as low as it will go and the humidity as high as it will go, it's not just rainout, it's a freaking thunderstorm in the mask. Which sounds like what you managed to do!

I second pholynk's advice about leaks, and the need to get those under control for lots of reasons.

Also it's clear that these humidifiers are not engineered for use in extremely dry conditions -- they just don't hold enough water for a whole night's sleep. There are various McGyver-esque solutions that people have tried. One simple help is to have a second humidifier tank already pre-loaded with water so it's the least amount of sleep disruption to just change tanks in the middle of the night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 620 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,184 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  [Equipment] Locked Humidity controls JRT2361 1 441 09-06-2023, 07:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Airsense 11 flashing Climate Line Connected DaveHirschler 4 1,859 08-28-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: Millstone50
  AirSense 11 Climate Line Operation Sleepy Quixote 2 618 06-28-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepy Quixote
  Climate line hose question Rice95 0 494 04-28-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Rice95

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.